Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The likelihood that other star players will do a Campbell, Bommel or a Ballack?

Once the floodgate is opened, there is nothing that is going to stop it. That's the fear anyway. What's going to stop Beckham, Henry, Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho, or any other star players to play out their contract and go on a free? By going on a free, they eliminate the need for the $30-40 million transfer fees. The club, thus, has more money to spend and might be willing to give the player higher wages and a hefty sign-on fees. At least that what history/reality tells us.

So be warned and be prepared: More star players will follow after this season. Henry might be next with his contract expiring in summer 2007.

·
Registered
782 Posts
FCUnited said:
The likelihood that other star players will do a Campbell, Bommel or a Ballack?

Once the floodgate is opened, there is nothing that is going to stop it. That's the fear anyway. What's going to stop Beckham, Henry, Rooney, Kaka, Ronaldinho, or any other star players to play out their contract and go on a free? By going on a free, they eliminate the need for the $30-40 million transfer fees. The club, thus, has more money to spend and might be willing to give the player higher wages and a hefty sign-on fees. At least that what history/reality tells us.

So be warned and be prepared: More star players will follow after this season. Henry might be next with his contract expiring in summer 2007.

More teams will sit their players, so if international games are coming they won't play in those. Or they will get sold before the end of the contract.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
org said:
More teams will sit their players, so if international games are coming they won't play in those. Or they will get sold before the end of the contract.
You can't sold a player against his will. Bayern wants to sell Ballack. Ballack refuses and that's the end of that.

Remember Cassano? He refused to extend his contract and Roma refused to play him. That's a risk a player has when he want to run out his contract to become a free.

this has been the same for the last 10 years, have you been in hibernation?
When was the last time that a STAR player did this? Ballack is the first.
Average/above average players go on Bosman/free all the time. But not the stars. Ballack will be the very first. It might open a floodgate for other stars players who realize: 'gee, if I become a free, I might make $2 million more a year on my contract.'

If Beckham is a free today, don't you think he would get a nice contract and a hefty sign-on fees/bonues.

Anyway, I am just predicting the future and in the future, more stars players will follow Ballack's footstep.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
FCUnited said:
If Beckham is a free today, don't you think he would get a nice contract and a hefty sign-on fees/bonues.
:howler:

Besides the ridiculous assertion on Beckham:pp you are once again bringing up something with little substance behind it. You forget that players (most of them at least) partake on the transfer fee. Ronaldinho made quite a bit of money with his transfer, Robinho reportedly made 50% of his transfer fee (although the final deal was so gray, that no one really knows) Saviola made a nice buck as well, etc etc.

And please don't give me the a "team can't sell a player against his will" if a team wants to sell a player, it will.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
barça said:
:howler:

Besides the ridiculous assertion on Beckham:pp you are once again bringing up something with little substance behind it. You forget that players (most of them at least) partake on the transfer fee. Ronaldinho made quite a bit of money with his transfer, Robinho reportedly made 50% of his transfer fee (although the final deal was so gray, that no one really knows) Saviola made a nice buck as well, etc etc.
Player do get a cut from the transfer fees. However, it is a very small cut. Around 5%. For a $30 million transfer fees, that's only $1.5 million. The player % cut is depend on the contract written. Sometimes it is 5%, sometimes 10%. Wouldn't it be in the player best interest if he gets 100% of the transfer fees?

As for Robinho, he GET NOTHING FROM THE TRANSFER.
http://www.mastercard.com/football/ucl/players/player_detail101668.html

he was dropped after the Confederations Cup when he said he wanted to go to Real Madrid CF even though their €24m bid was rejected. However, when the player agreed to waive his 40 per cent share of any transfer, he was allowed to go to Spain and signed a five-year contract.

And please don't give me the a "team can't sell a player against his will" if a team wants to sell a player, it will.
You know nothing about contract law. If the player do not want to be transfered to team X, the club can't force him.

Give me a news link where the player is forced to transfer against his will and then I will believe you. Otherwise, it's just your opinion that is based on zero facts.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
These players produce two or three fold what their transfer fees are while they play at the club. These players fill the stadium week in and week out for their clubs. How do you think the club makes it's money.

People keep on talking about Henry wanting to leave. If he didn't leave after Patrick Vieira did I don't think he's going to leave at all. He has won everything he can possibly win with his country. He has won every domestic title possible in England. I don't think he's starving for accolades I just think he's waiting to see how it is that he can secure his future. After all he has a family to think about.

He wants to see how Arsenal will react this summer in the transfer market. If Arsenal sign good players and they put the club in a position where Henry can have exposure and marketability then he'll stay. If they don't and he sees that his time can be spent better somwhere else then he'll go.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
FCUnited said:
You know nothing about contract law. If the player do not want to be transfered to team X, the club can't force him.

Give me a news link where the player is forced to transfer against his will and then I will believe you. Otherwise, it's just your opinion that is based on zero facts.
True. Cambiasso did this at Real. So did Santiago Solari.

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
FCUnited said:
Just in Barcelona alone. Bonano, Kluivert, Rochemback, Riquelme, Saviola, etc, etc, none of them wanted to depart the club, Barcelona told them to either leave or they wouldn't even get a federation card and they left.

Just like a player can pressure for his transfer, a team can pressure the player for the transfer.

And about Robinho, for every news report you find that says he renounced his transfer fee, I can find just as many where it said that he got all of the transfer fee.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
FCUnited, I assume you are American, as your knowledge of football is fairly limited, I would almost say non-existant. Bayern could've sold Ballack 2 seasons ago to Barça, but chose not to. They could've sold him last season again, but chose not to. He was simply too valuable to them and would rather have him 1 more year and try to pursuade him to stay, than letting him leave and risk going into a transition period. The same thing is with Van Bommel, the club didn't want to sell him and he didn't want to stay. This has been happening since the Bosman thing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
FCUnited said:
Player do get a cut from the transfer fees. However, it is a very small cut. Around 5%. For a $30 million transfer fees, that's only $1.5 million. The player % cut is depend on the contract written. Sometimes it is 5%, sometimes 10%. Wouldn't it be in the player best interest if he gets 100% of the transfer fees?

As for Robinho, he GET NOTHING FROM THE TRANSFER.
http://www.mastercard.com/football/ucl/players/player_detail101668.html

he was dropped after the Confederations Cup when he said he wanted to go to Real Madrid CF even though their €24m bid was rejected. However, when the player agreed to waive his 40 per cent share of any transfer, he was allowed to go to Spain and signed a five-year contract.

about the Robinho thing, u got an article and u think taht ends it. Actually, Madrid probably paid him a part or most of it, just like they din;t pay the full buy-out clause with sergio Ramos. Its all smoke and mirrors.

I said transfered or they will sit him out. Yeah look at Cassano, they sold him, y did he agree??? cause he wanted a chance to play so he could go to the world cup. How much do u think a team would pay u, if u were sitting down for 2 years??? not much. Teams would not allow it, they would just sit you and ruin the prime of ur career. Its in their interest not to set a precedent .

What do u think, u just got a great idea??? please......wake up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I came up with 10 evidences why an elite player like Ballack would get a huge boost in income if they go on a free transfer.

EVIDENCE #1

Take Chelsea, Real Madrid and Man U for example in a SWITCH to the FREE AGENCY MODEL. These three teams would get every players on their current rosters on a Free and every players that left those three teams also went on a Free (same as all MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL teams)

Chelsea would be $84 million richer each year.
Real would be $42 million richer each year.
Man U would be $36 million richer each year.

Who ultimately benefit if these three teams have A LOT MORE MONEY TO SPEND? The elite/stars players.

Another way to look at it is that if the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are in the 'transfer fees market' and incur around $30 million a year in transfer fees expense instead of $0, can they still afford the high wages for player like Arod ($26 mil a year) or Ramirez ($22 mil a year)?

EVIDENCE #2:

Ballack (a free agent by the way) is offered a contract that would make him the highest paid soccer player in the world--Reported by The Guardian

EVIDENCE #3:

Sol Campbell: Worth around $20 million in the transfer market, went on a free and according to this article receive "massive signing-on fees" and became the highest paid player at Arsenal.

http://www.le.ac.uk/so/css/resources/factsheets/fs16.html

Because McManaman could be bought for no fee, he was able to negotiate his own package with his new club Real Madrid. This meant a wage rise from £12,000 with Liverpool to a reported £60,000 with Real. Sol Campbell moved in 2001 from Spurs to Arsenal, smashing the Highbury wage structure, again because no transfer fee was payable. Top players undoubtedly now have a great deal of power and benefit greatly from this new ruling. Those players playing at the highest levels can receive massive signing-on fees and much higher wages because of the absence of transfer fees.

EVIDENCE #4:

"If Cristiano Ronaldo didn't sign that 4 years contract extension and become a free agent instead, can he make $5 million a year instead of $2.236 million a year?."

Before the contract extension
Cristiano Ronaldo: $1,252,160 a year (calculated from the £14,000 a week from this article)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2088-1612589,00.html

After the contract extension:
Cristiano Ronaldo £1.3m-a-year or $2.236 mil a year

Valencia are launching a £17 million bid for Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Los Che president Juan Soler said: "I want Valencia to do big things in the Champions League and Cristiano would fit perfectly with these plans. We will now speak with Manchester United."

The Spaniards have not been put off by Ronaldo signing a contract extension in the summer to keep him at Old Trafford until 2010 and are prepared to match his £1.3m-a-year pay.

The question is that is there any clubs out there that is willing to pay him $5 million a year if they get him on a free? In other word, would Valencia pay him $5 million a year if they don't have to pay the £17 million ($29 million) in transfer fees?

EVIDENCE #5:

The theory here is that in a free agency market like in American sports Chelsea would have $84 mil, Real would have $42 mil and Man U would have $36 million EXTRA in income. Opposite of that, would Red Sox be able to afford a $20-22 million a year for Ramirez if they suddenly discover an expense of $30 million each and every year?

EVIDENCE #6:

Annual Salary for some famous soccer players that you might have heard of:

Kaka: $2 million a year
David Trezeguet: $2.6 million a year
Samuel Eto'o : $6.0 -$6.1 mil a year
Rooney: £50,000 a week = $4.5 mil a year
Theo Walcott (Arsenal wonderkid): £9000 a week = $804,960 a year

EVIDENCE #7

FORBES list in revenue

1 Manchester United England $315 mil

2 Real Madrid Spain $287 mil

3 AC Milan Italy $270 mil

4 Chelsea England $264 mil

5 Juventus Italy 262 mil

6 Arsenal England 211 mil

7 Barcelona Spain 206 mil

8 Internazionale Milan Italy 203 mil

Top baseball Revenue reported by Forbes
http://www.forbes.com/lists/results.jhtml?passListId=33&passYear=2005&passListType=Misc&searchParameter1=unset&searchParameter2=unset&resultsStart=1&resultsHowMany=30&resultsSortProperties=-numberfield5,+numberfield1&resultsSortCategoryName=Revenues&category1=category&category2=category&passKeyword=

1 New York Yankees 264 --$315 for soccer

2 Boston Red Sox 201 ---$287 mil for soccer

3 New York Mets 180 ----$270 mil for soccer

4 Seattle Mariners 173 ---$264 mil for soccer

5 Chicago Cubs 170 ----$262 mil for soccer

6 Philadelphia Phillies 167 ---$211 mil for soccer

7 Los Angeles Dodgers 166 ---$206 mil for soccer

8 Atlanta Braves 162 ----$203 mil for soccer

9 San Francisco Giants 159
EVIDENCE #8

Even though the top soccer teams has a lot more revenue, baseball are paying a lot more to their top players.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/top25.aspx?year=2005

Rank Player Salary Team
1 Rodriguez, Alex $ 26,000,000 New York Yankees
2 Bonds, Barry $ 22,000,000 San Francisco Giants
3 Ramirez, Manny $ 22,000,000 Boston Red Sox
4 Jeter, Derek $ 19,600,000 New York Yankees
5 Mussina, Mike $ 19,000,000 New York Yankees
6 Bagwell, Jeff $ 18,000,000 Houston Astros
7 Clemens, Roger $ 18,000,000 Houston Astros
8 Sosa, Sammy $ 17,000,000 Baltimore Orioles
9 Piazza, Mike $ 16,071,429 New York Mets
10 Jones, Chipper $ 16,061,802 Atlanta Braves
11 Johnson, Randy $ 16,000,000 New York Yankees
12 Brown, Kevin $ 15,714,286 New York Yankees
13 Hampton, Mike $ 15,125,000 Atlanta Braves
14 Park, Chan Ho $ 15,000,000 Texas Rangers
15 Schilling, Curt $ 14,500,000 Boston Red Sox
16 Giambi, Jason $ 13,428,571 New York Yankees
17 Dreifort, Darren $ 13,400,000 Los Angeles Dodgers
18 Thome, Jim $ 13,166,667 Philadelphia Phillies
19 Abreu, Bobby $ 13,100,000 Philadelphia Phillies
20 Jones, Andruw $ 13,000,000 Atlanta Braves
21 Sheffield, Gary $ 13,000,000 New York Yankees
22 Walker, Larry $ 12,666,667 St. Louis Cardinals
23 Helton, Todd $ 12,600,000 Colorado Rockies
24 Griffey Jr, Ken $ 12,500,000 Cincinnati Reds
25 Guerrero, Vladimir $ 12,500,000 Los Angeles Angels
Top Soccer Revenue reported by Deloite and Touche (the latest)

1) Real: $328 mil
2) Man U: $293 mil
3) AC Milan: $279 mil
4) Juventus: $273 mil (will increase by around 30-40 million thanks to a $120 mil a year TV deal starting in 2007)
5) Chelsea: $263 mil
Average transfer expense per year (from 2001 to 2005).

Chelsea: $83.7 million a year
Real Madrid: $41.67 million a year
Manchester United: $36 million a year
Barcelona: $25 million a year
AC Milan: $22 million a year

EVIDENCE #9

Free agency world: Assuming that teams will transfer 75% of transfer fees above to wages and pocket the 25%. Assuming that each team has a $120 million wages bill.

Chelsea: From $120 mil in wages will now become $120 mil + (75% x $84 mil)= $183 mil
Real Madrid: From $120 mil in wages will now become $151.5 mil.
Man U: From $120 mil will now become $147 million.

So which would the stars player want? $120 mil in wages for each of those 3 teams or $183 mil, $151.5 mil and $147 million respectively?

The more that the teams have, the more that the players will get paid. Oh, the teams also benefit because they pocketed 25% of the transfer fees.

EVIDENCE #10

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2088157,00.html
Henry is ours, say Barcelona

The 28-year-old has been offered a four-year deal worth £100,000 a week, but despite repeatedly insisting that he wants to stay, he has yet to sign it.

The Spaniards believe that, as a result of Fifa regulations that enable players over the age of 28, who have been at a club for more than three years, to buy themselves out of the final year of their contract, the maximum compensation they will be obliged to pay is £10 million — and that he could come even cheaper.
Did not know that regulation EXIST. This would make it a lot easier to become a free agent.

Clarification on the terms used:

Elite players: Worlds' top 20-30 players only
Big Clubs: Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool, Real, Barcelona, AC Milan, Juventus, Inter Milan and Bayern Munich.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Fcukin hell FC. I'm in court next week for trying to assasinate Kenyon. Think I'd have a good chance of getting a nighthood if you would represent me. Are you out of work?

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
FCunited forgets that the American Sports Leagues are centrally governed and that their financial status is know to all unlike soccer...

Also in Baseball transfers like in football are possible, the only reason teams can give certain players such a salary are

a. Steinbrenner :jester:

b. the fact that rookies only get a low-low salary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts