Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This position is now defunct, given the way football has progressed in the last decade. Players are more technical, more sides are relying on tactics and the pace of the game has increased by a bit. Formations are made to suit the current style, which is the 4-4-2 & the 4-3-3.

The last team (to my knowledge) to play the Libero system was the succesfull German EURO96 side and the victorious UCL97 side of Borussia Dortmund. Both these teams had the last popular libero playing for them - Matthias Sammer.

I want to know what'd your definition of the Libero and am wondering how many of you like this system of play, and why. Also, I need to find some libero info from the net, and is wonderig if anyone has any resource on it to be shared.

Hope I get some response. Cheers guys ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think this is an outdated concept, those players who used to be great liberos would do well in the modern defensive midfielder position.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
No it's not. Dellas plays as a libero for Greece. Usually, he only has one central defender next to him because many teams now play with only one striker, but when the opponent used two attackers Dellas was partnered by two man-markers.

Sensini is also a typical libero for Udinese. Mexes is also a libero though he rarely plays like that for Roma.

·
Banned
4,388 Posts
Brazil won the world cup in 2002 with a sweeper(sometimes acting as libero), so NO the position is NOT defunct

And Libero's would not make good defensive midfielders(certainly not always), since the libero position needs for other abilities than those of the contemporary def mid...

·
Registered
472 Posts
A libero plays behind other defenders. It's mainly because of the offside rule and zone defense that most of the teams play without one!

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
does libero = sweeper? where they play behind the defenders and clean up anything that gets by them? or do they play in front of the defenders like a very deep DM??

I'm not sure but i think i saw Dynamo Kiev use Gavrancic as Libero/sweeper, could be wrong though

·
Registered
107 Posts
Libero is not a sweeper. Libero is a number 10 that play in defense. When his team have the ball, he'll go up in midfield to support attacking.

When Germany have the ball, Beckenbauer move to midfield and perform like Zidane nowadays: he's contributing the ball and try to score.

About no team use libero today. I don't know for sure. Perhaps, because they think that a player that good would do more damage upfront than staying in defense.

Ruud Gullit used to play as a libero when he was playing for Chelsea.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a Libero=sweeper, but a sweeper is not a libero.

Lehuynhduc was right. There are no players able to play like a libero nowadays. What Dellas does is a typical sweepers job.

A libero is much more than that.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Giacinto Facchetti-

The Italians, like their most successful club team of the 60s, Inter, became wedded to catenaccio in a too negative way, the libero or sweeper playing behind two markers, though full backs such as tall Giacinto Facchetti were encouraged to go forward. He even scored goals and would prove the inspiration for Franz Beckenbauer, as a youngster at Bayern, to invent the attacking libero, breaking out from behind the markers

and today

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IT was mentioned in an internet soruce I found that Der Kaiser was inspired by Fachetti's runs from deep. Der Kaiser then perfected the libero role for himself.

There were great potentials that was being mentioned as future liberos after Der Kaiser retired, some lived up to the expectations, some didn't. Off the top of my head, Gica Popescu (love this guy), Mathaus, Sammer, Yuri Nikiforov (never lived up to his hype), Sebastian Kehl (media hype). The are more names that I don't know off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts