Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several weeks of storm in Valencia, not knowing who was the real boss there, Barcelona will start the negotiations with the valencianistes to try the signing of David Silva.

Pep Guardiola likes the player and the club will try to bring the player. Depending on the source, Barcelona may offer between 22 to 25M euros. Sport say that Barcelona will put 22M on the table plus other 3M variable, depending on results. EMD talk about lower amounts and they say that the club will offer 18+4.

Last week, Valencia said that they had rejected an offer from AS Roma and some sources talked about 25M plus 5 variable. So it's probable that Barcelona will have to raise the offer. Fernando, the new sport manager of Valencia, admited that this offer of Roma was very serious and they won't close the door to new offers, although he wanted to meet Silva's agent to extend the contract. For now, Valencia are demanding 35M for Silva, although Fernando seems to be ready to negotiate.

The negotiations won't be easy, given the inestability in Valencia, the pressure of the fans and the rivalry between the clubs. In any case, the player and Barcelona already reached a pre-agreement before the Euro. This deal would increase the wages of the player, who would sign a 4 year contract with Barcelona.

http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=532029&idseccio_PK=803
http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/web/gen/20080802/noticia_53512269422.html

·
Banned
5,292 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
We can buy Arshavin for 25M. C'mon Pep splash millions on another wrong signing, you won't last longer than Rexach.

·
Registered
10,281 Posts
And why is that?
Comparing the styles of the two players, they play nothing alike. Silva will just help you maintain position, like your other midfielders. Don't expect him, make a stunning 30 yard pass, or constantly take on defenders. He is a good intelligent player, with good movement, quick feet and solid passing. He is also pretty inconsistent, if you sign him, you shouldn't expect brilliant things. With a few more years of football, he will make a top player.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
He is NOT a Ronaldinho replacement. The furthest thing from it...
Completely agree. Problem is that there really isn't a Ronaldinho replacement on the market. So until we get one I don't mind bringing in a guy like Silva. Two years from now, if we get him, Silva could be our 12th man in case Messi and a more Ronaldinhoesque player get hurt or need to be substituted. Anyway, as you go on to say I think he'll get better too over the next couple of years.

We can buy Arshavin for 25M. C'mon Pep splash millions on another wrong signing, you won't last longer than Rexach.
Well what we should have done was forget about the Hlebs and Keitas. I'd much rather we bought Arshavin, Silva and VDV or Neves than Hleb, Keita and Silva or Arshavin.

·
Banned
5,292 Posts
Comparing the styles of the two players, they play nothing alike. Silva will just help you maintain position, like your other midfielders. Don't expect him, make a stunning 30 yard pass, or constantly take on defenders. He is a good intelligent player, with good movement, quick feet and solid passing. He is also pretty inconsistent, if you sign him, you shouldn't expect brilliant things. With a few more years of football, he will make a top player.
I didn't mean Ronaldinho's replacement in style of play. More like Silva will play on the LW like Ronaldinho did.

Of course Silva isn't a patch on Ronadlinho (he's not Brazilian :)

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
It's weird, but I think nearly all of our signings signed a 4 year contract, even Piqué and Cáceres...:rollani:
Maybe to motivate the players to improve to get a better contract?

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So say we do sign him, why only a 4 year deal? The guy is all of 22 years old. I suppose he only wanted that long of a deal so that he can renegotiate later.
It doesn't worry me at all. 4 years is enough. Besides, time work in both directions. If he's doing well for us, I don't mind to negotiate an extension. If things don't go too well, then I think a short contract is better.

Imagine that Saviola had 7 or 8 years of contract. He would be pleased to be in the stands of the Camp Nou yet.

About the player, I think he's a good player, talented and also hard worker. It'd be interesting to see the creative part of the midfield of the Spanish NT all together in Barcelona. We don't need him to be the new Ronaldinho (there's noone like him when he was the best and noone wants the "new" Ronnie either... aside Milan, of course).

Silva is a player that opens the field very well. He can be a winger or just a side midfielder. He has a decent shot from out of the box. He knows La Liga, so we're not making experiments here, and he grows in his football every year.

If you ask me, with this signing (if it happens) and Eto'o staying, I'd be satisfied with the team to start.

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
I like this move and I hope we do get him.

I'd rather go for someone of his quality and who proved himself in La Liga than to experiment with someone else from a different league, beside the kid is young and fits perfectly in a needed position [LW] to be filled. However I do think Pep will have a handful as far as having alot of MFs to please with playing time.

·
Registered
147 Posts
just a question, do eto'o, keita and yaya have non EU passports? Because if so the only LW we CAN get is silva unless we seriously want to sell eto'o (keep in mind that Arshavin counts as a non EU citizen).

1 - 20 of 126 Posts