Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amazing how a team filled with over 30 years old players, with both Billy and Maldini close to 40 :eekani: managed to corner almost in their box a physically outstanding team like Lyon in the dying minutes of the game :cool:

....then came Pippo :devil:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
don't you think Lyon sat back?

that's the difference i think, you had more knowhow and experience and of course strikers that will score if they get a chance.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Indeed that sat back, and they likely did so because they know that Milan often score late goals. It's a vicious circle our opponents often fail to get out of. :devil: Even Liverpool did it, and only an outstanding save on Shevas point black effort saved them from demise. :(

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jern Lizardhous said:
don't you think Lyon sat back?

that's the difference i think, you had more knowhow and experience and of course strikers that will score if they get a chance.
Impression from the field is that Lyon were no longer able to double press our players as in the earlier stages of the game, when they were pressing even Dida :eekani:

·
63,337 Posts
barracuda said:
Indeed that sat back, and they likely did so because they know that Milan often score late goals. It's a vicious circle our opponents often fail to get out of. :devil: Even Liverpool did it, and only an outstanding save on Shevas point black effort saved them from demise. :(
Liverpool's strength is sitting back though, i think Lyon sitting back was more down to lack of experience and a simple lack of belief on their part, of course it's human nature to protect.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just saw a re-run on SKY, the commentators went nuts :devil:
His words: "YES YES YES YES YES YES YEEEEEEEEEES; Cobra Inzaghi again"

·
63,337 Posts
Diavolo said:
Impression from the field is that Lyon were no longer able to double press our players as in the earlier stages of the game, when they were pressing even Dida :eekani:
well i got a different impression, you could have scored either way anyway though, you were pretty dangerous at times when you broke through on the counter attack.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jern Lizardhous said:
well i got a different impression, you could have scored either way anyway though, you were pretty dangerous at times when you broke through on the counter attack.
We differ on opinion then :)
Let's put is this way then, despite Milan being filled with grandpas, we didn't suffer heartattacks :cool:

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
Liverpool's strength is sitting back though
Agreed, but it almost back fired.
Jern Lizardhous said:
i think Lyon sitting back was more down to lack of experience and a simple lack of belief on their part, of course it's human nature to protect.
Again agreed. :)

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
To be honest since i saw every single Milan game in full from the start of this season i thought Milan is mainly a first half team; we always do the best of our game during the first 45 mins, but yesterday it was totally different..

It doesn't matter anyway, last Night left me as usual PROUD of my MILAN!! & I can't be more proud of Maldini & Billy...

·
Registered
585 Posts
Maldini and Billy are something special, out of this world!

Was watching tv last week and they were talking about teddy sherringham just turning 40 and still playing in the prem. Whilst I agree this is a great feat, it is with west ham, virtually always as a sub and with whom he was playing in the 1st division just a season earlier. Hardly the top of the game which made me think of billy and maldini. At nearly 40 both are playing in the latter stages of the champions league, something most players dream of doing just the once, and they are doing it at such a level that they blend in. It's only the fact that talk of retirement is in the air that I forget that yes they are no longer 25.
They are both extrodinary, the reason that "class" was added to the english dictionary. :)

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I will saythis again... Ambrosini changed the game, once he entered he started winning loads of balls in the midfield with his head and just in general, lyon started to lose belief as Milan were actually starting to win the ball now and looked a bit balanced, sat back hoping for 1-1 and Abidal made the vital mistake.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Deano said:
I will saythis again... Ambrosini changed the game, once he entered he started winning loads of balls in the midfield with his head and just in general, lyon started to lose belief as Milan were actually starting to win the ball now and looked a bit balanced, sat back hoping for 1-1 and Abidal made the vital mistake.
Indeed working class Milan players took us through :cool:

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 25 Posts