Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sport press Kicker presents the best goalkeepers and defenders in the Bundesliga (Midfielder and Strikers will follow) ranked with worldclass - international class - good players

The best goalkeepers:

worldclass: nobody

international class:

1. Frank Rost (Schalke 04) 31 (K-6.)
2. Robert Enke (Hannover 96) 27 (-)
3. Andreas Reinke (Werder Bremen) 35 (B)

good players:

4. Simon Jentzsch (VfL Wolfsburg) 28 (B)
5. Timo Hildebrand (VfB Stuttgart) 25 (IK-1.)
6. Tim Wiese (1. FC Kaiserslautern) 23 (K-5.)
7. Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund) 24 (-)
8. Dimo Wache (FSV Mainz 05) 31 (-)
9. Rein van Duijnhoven (VfL Bochum) 37 (IK-2.)
10. Martin Pieckenhagen (Hamburger SV) 33 (-)
11. Jörg Butt (Bayer Leverkusen) 30 (B)
12. Christian Fiedler (Hertha BSC) 29 (K-7.)

field of vision:

Mathias Hain (Arminia Bielefeld) 31 (-)
Oliver Kahn (Bayern München) 35 (K-3.)
Raphael Schäfer (1. FC Nürnberg) 25 (-)

The best defenders:

worldclass: nobody

International class:
1. Marcelo Bordon (FC Schalke 04) 28 (IK-3.)
2. Juan (Bayer Leverkusen) 25 (K-5.)

good players:

3. Valérien Ismael (Werder Bremen) 29 (IK-2.)
4. Per Mertesacker (Hannover 96) 31(B)
5. Josip Simunic (Hertha BSC) 26 (B)
6. Lucio (Bayern München) 26 (IK-1.)
7. Daniel van Buyten (Hamburger SV) 26 (-)
8. Martin Stranzl (VfB Stuttgart) 24 (-)
9. Mladen Krstajic (Schalke 04) 30 (IK-4.)
10. Khalid Boulahrouz (Hamburger SV) 23 (-)
11. Markus Babbel (VfB Stuttgart) 32 (-)
12. Petr Gabriel (Arminia Bielefeld) 31 (-)
13. Alexander Madlung (Hertha BSC) 22 (-)
14. Frank Baumann (Werder Bremen) 29 (IK-1. MF def)
15. Kevin Hofland (VfL Wolfsburg) 25 (-)

·
Banned
3,469 Posts
:eekani: Timo Hildebrand not International class?
Give him an English passport!!!!

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Nice translation for "im blickfeld" ;)

I'll be a bit careful in commenting the ratings, cause frankly I havent followed the Bundesliga very closely lately after the first few matchdays due to various reasons.

However I think there are some general notes I can make:

Reinke as international class is an insult to every decent keeper on the planet... I still cannot understand how two teams managed to become champs with him between the posts.

And I really think Hildebrand should be international class.

Regarding Juan, he is enjoying the same benefit Lucio once did (still does)... getting totally overhyped by Kicker... whenever Lucio had some nice offensive actions, he got a 1.0 (highest rating), even if he was to be blamed for conceeding 2 goals... totally ridiculious, those guys must be in love with him.

And now the same applies for Juan... well, hype is nothing new in the sport, it happens all over the world, why should Germany be immune to it (in comparison to some other big footie nations, we are at least showing a bit less the tendency to hype every player to the skys). However hyping BRAZILIAN central DEFENDERS must be the some of the most ridiculous things sport journalism has ever come up with.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
gautam said:
Germany has no world class defenders? Kickers needs to grow brains.
Who would be worldclass, accoring to you? :confused:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi guys!

I'm from Germany and watching the kicker ratings every time more sceptical.

Their ratings suck big time . Just look at their ratings and think for yourself,
Lucio, Juan, Bordon, Ismael, Kristajic,....are worldclass in any other magazine in the world.
Look how many national defenders from different nations play in Germany.
The kicker ratings are an insult to many players.
Not just that the ratings are often too negative,
i have seen ratings from kicker where the very best players are left out!!!!!!

Another funny thing is they sometimes rank defensive players in the offensive chart, or the lefties in the right sid. They are totally unpredictable what funny bombs are comeing next.

Sorry , the Kicker has the image of an expert magazine, but the errors which are pretty numerous are really scary.
Don't know what the old guys are doiing. Forget the kicker ratings

Don't buy the shit or even read it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Psycho said:
Who would be worldclass, accoring to you? :confused:
Are you trying to tell me that in the entire German league there is not one single 'world class' defender? I find that a little hard to believe, whatever the standards they have set for this so called world class category.

Its quite easy to put people down as not being world class. At best that is a judgment based on insufficient data, questionable criteria and with a lot of subjectivity. Therefore.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
And to answer your question, I must admit I rarely get to see full length games of the Bundesliga but from the CL games I have seen Baumann and Ismael are as good as you will find in any of the other leagues. And I've been extremely impressed with Timo and Joerg Butt in goal though I may have missed some of their poor performances.

·
Registered
15,061 Posts
Jensi77 said:
Their ratings suck big time . Just look at their ratings and think for yourself,
Lucio, Juan, Bordon, Ismael, Kristajic,....are worldclass in any other magazine in the world.
I wouldnt call any of them worldclass either... international class, okay, but for me there is still a big distinction between those players and the likes of Nesta, Stam, Puyol, Samuel (not in his current form though), Maldini, Cannavaro, Carvarlho... like Kohler was in his best Juve and Dortmund times, like Sammer was of course, like Metzelder was close to become if it hadnt been for the nasty injury, like Nowotny was before an injury sidelinded him for a long time, too.

Lucio, Bordon, Juan... let's not forgot that someone like RJ, a proven nitemare for any Serie A fan, is a regular starter for the home country of those player in their respective countries ;)

However I agree totally with you that kicker usually is very conservative with its rating and very rarely ranks a player as "Worldclass" in comparison to other European magazines. Moreover some of their top choices like Reinke, who never was and never will be anything close to international class are absolutely absurd.

Gautam, honestly in the moment, I dont see a single WC central defender (in the category of the above mentioned examples) in the German league. I hope that Metzelder will get back to his old form, he is still young enough, seems to be a smart dude (well educated, of course, no suprise, he comes from Münster like me :tongue: ). He has all the talent and potential to become (again) a real WC defender of the traditions of the Kohlers and others.

But rite now.. nope, I dont see anyone. Those Brazilians IMO (Juan and Lucio) are a bit overhyped, esp the latter.

If we speak of defenders in general, I am a big fan of Stuttgarts left back Philipp Lahm... I would maybe, with a bit of nationalistic enthusiam, consider him already WC.

Regarding keeper I think Hildebrand can become WC or maybe already is... I dont think there are too many keepers in the world he has to hide from.

Butt? Beh... not doing too bad right now, but I think we got a couple of better keepers in Germany, at least IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts