Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who do you want to see in a United shirt while the transfer window is open, if any?

I'm not sure how much transfer funds are available to us and if we will buy big. We haven't brought in any big players in January for large sums of money before.

We are looking a bit shallow at the back with Rio banned. Brown is fit again, which is great timing but we still might need some good cover.

The right side of midfield is our weakest point on the pitch, both Ronaldo and Fletcher are too inexperienced and shouldn't be playing a full 90 mins and I've been saying this for ages. We need someone with some experience, maybe even an older player whos about 30 would be very ideal because Ronaldo will be ready in a few years and so too Fletcher.

Another striker would be great as well, we've been talking about this for a good few seasons since Ruud joined, sure we have Ole, Bellion and Forlan who are good as subs or cover . We need Someone who could link our midfield with Ruud or as people call it a "second striker".

If we sorted out these positions we would be pretty close to being a complete team IMO but i can't see us buying big and sorting all of them out during January we might have to wait until the Summer when we can start a bidding war for someone VDV.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
For a defender, Fergie should sign Daniel van Buyten from Marsielle. He's truly a class defender, and looks quite good in red. I'm not sure if he'll sign a right sided midfielder since Ole is going to be coming back. For a forward, they've just recently been linked with Cisse, but IMO they should wait til the end of the season and sign Kevin Kuryani from VfB. He's a top quality forward and is young. He would shine at the Theatre of Dreams.

·
Registered
57,636 Posts
Another striker would be great as well, we've been talking about this for a good few seasons since Ruud joined
What about Christian Vieri ? ;)

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Fergie said that he is looking for someone who could hold the ball up, someone big and strong like ruud, which rules out the possibility of us signing a 2nd forward like Van der vaart or nihat.

So in this case the possibilities are Saha who is on fire but Fulham said they don't want to sell him. Viduka is also available but I don't want him at United. If we are going to sign an out and out striker, then I want Luis Fabiano, who has impressed me, every time that I have seen him. In Brazil he is rated higher than Parmas Adriano.

For a defender, we should if we have money available get Ayala, who will be superb in the centre of defence. We should also look at Daniel van Buyten or Mexes.

If we get a striker and a great defender in January, then in the summer signing a forward, who will play just behind ruud (or the striker that we buy in Jan) should be a priority, someone like VDV(who might go to barcelona),E'too and so on.
Then if we can do anything to lure Joaquin to United, we should break the bank for him but it looks highly unlikely:depress:

If we can get all 4 players we will become complete, but thats very unlikely, so 2 out of 4 is reasonable

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
We could also sign Dawson from Forest who is rated very highly.

But one player that I think we should sign is, Parker from Charlton (we will face strong competition from chelsea). I know that we have many centre mids, but fergie is playing a 4231 formation, which means there are 5 midfield places. By getting parker, scholes will push up, just behind ruud, with giggsy on the left and Kleberson or Ole on the right. Keano and Parker can play in the centre of midfield. Parker is complete, in the future he will be better than Scholesy,and he is good at tackling. By getting parker, we could also move Keano in centre of defence, which will give us experience in defence. Parker than could be played alongside, Kleberson or Butt in the centre of midfield.

team for the 2nd part of the season:

---------------Howard

Neville Brown/New Def? Silvestre O'shea

--------Parker/Fletcher Keano

Ole/Kleberson Scholes Giggsy/Ronaldo

-----------------Ruud

Or

--------------Howard

Neville Keano Silvestre O'shea

------Kleberson/Butt Parker

Ole/Fletcher Scholes Giggsy/Ronaldo

---------------Ruud

By playing either of these 2 teams, we will be solid at the back and very creative. The wingers will provide crosses and come inside. Scholes will be the attacking midfielder,coming late on the box, with parker playing as a play maker from deep, like pirlo at Milan. And Keano/butt/Kleberson whoever is partnering him, as a defensive mid in front of the back four

·
Registered
282 Posts
MagicalGenk said:
For a defender, Fergie should sign Daniel van Buyten from Marsielle. He's truly a class defender, and looks quite good in red. I'm not sure if he'll sign a right sided midfielder since Ole is going to be coming back. For a forward, they've just recently been linked with Cisse, but IMO they should wait til the end of the season and sign Kevin Kuryani from VfB. He's a top quality forward and is young. He would shine at the Theatre of Dreams.
imo van buyten is a pretty ordinary defender. in the champions league he didn't stand out for me, and look rather shaky at times. he's not that young anymore either. i think he's a play more suited for a lower league or a lower english team than a big team like united or real madrid(which he's also been linked with apparently).

kuryani just signed a re-newed contract with stuttgart, and has made it public that he desires to stay longer with this club, so i think that pretty much rules out that he'll be joining the reds any time soon.
i think with giggs, forlan, solksjaer, en RUUD :D youv'e got enough strike power already.
a possible purchase of cisse can wait until the summer. and then i would also reccomend his team-mate phillipe mexes :)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts

Dont want Saha or Viduka. Neither are good enough for me.
United sold Veron and Becks and replaced them both with Unknowns. Now the new players are playin well and i think that united is a better team without the others, but Becks and Veron were considered world class players (no matter how poor they played) and united should of used the money gained by selling them, to buy class. Saha is only average in terms of world football and viduka is moany renegade waste of space.
United should be looking for the likes of Van de Vaart and Deco. Instead they are being linked with cheap players!!! Its so sad to say, but united will never even be able to lace madrids boots if this is the way the club is going to be run. Madrid replace any world stars they sell. They sold Makele and bought becks. Hardly like for like, but none the less top names (note the word names).
Anyway, united will win the league and fall short again in the CL cause of the clubs acception to mediocrity.

·
Registered
282 Posts
what makes you so sure united will win the league??? arsenal is still unbeaten remember. :)

manchester united is after robben of psv aren't they? they should, coz he's the best talent in holland at the moment coz van der vaart and sneijder have played crap all so far this season.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
van de Vaart, what about KEZMAN, only the leading goal scorer in the Dutch league for the past 2 years and leading now. He has also played before with Ruud at PSV. I will let you in to a secret. There is a player who is the captain of Red Star Belgrade. His name is Nemanja VIDIC. He will be the next Maldini and Man United need someone like him to cover for Rio. Mark my words. You can have him for 20 million Euro. :D

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Abominus said:
what makes you so sure united will win the league??? arsenal is still unbeaten remember. :)

Arsenal are still unbeaten but trailing us by a point.;)

We have won more games than them,scored more goals and conceded just one more.

Will United win the league?...........Come May, we'll get to know about it but only a stupid person would bet against us.;)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
United eye a January sales bargain

By Stuart Brennan
THE transfer window swings wide open tomorrow - and Manchester United fans are expecting their club to join the rush to the January sales.

But don't be too surprised if precisely NOTHING comes of all the frenzied transfer speculation surrounding the Reds.

Mark Viduka and Louis Saha remain top targets for Sir Alex Ferguson, whose priority is a striker despite the prospect of losing key defender Rio Ferdinand for a large chunk of the season.

Saha has already been the subject of one abortive bid - reported to be in the region of £7million - and United are playing any approach for Viduka softly, as Leeds' financial situation is due to become much clearer in the middle of the month.

Names have been flung about willy-nilly, but buying a top footballer these days has become an irksome task.

Gone are the days when a jokey exchange between two club chairmen leads to a bargain buy, sorted out within a couple of days - as happened when Eric Cantona moved to United in 1992.

These days the propaganda, aired from all sides, is mind-boggling.

United chief executive David Gill makes the case that United will not be spending big in the coming month - they do any major deals in the summer, he says.

Giddy

But is that a statement of policy, or simply a means of suppressing the price of any potential target? Clubs get a little giddy with their price tags when they hear that United are in the market.

Sir Alex Ferguson follows the same, casual line as his gaffer, saying: "We are just assessing the situation. We will have a look. We may do something and if the right deal and the right person comes along, we may be tempted."

Add to that mix clubs who issue stern "hands off" warnings, for the benefit of their fans, while secretly beginning talks to flog the player, as well as agents who have spent the last four months kicking their heels and counting their summertime commission payments, and you have a heady brew of claim and counter-claim, stirred, as always, by the media.

But it is no secret that a striker is top of his birthday wish list - the United boss turned 62 today.

That striker has to be eligible for the Champions League, ruling out some of the wilder stories linking United to the likes of Henrik Larsson, Mateja Kezman and Nicolas Anelka.

Of course, if a Luis Figo or a Christian Vieri was to become available at the right price, and wanted to come to Old Trafford, the question of European eligibility would quickly be forgotten.

Similarly, if United get the chance to snap up a desirable young player, like PSV hitman Arjen Robben, they would also take it, especially with Chelsea's ravenous hunger undimmed by their £111m transfer blowout.

According to reports in Holland, Robben and his father will visit Old Trafford in the next few days to be given the stadium tour and then to meet with Fergie to discuss a possible £5m move.

Robben would also be "cup-tied" in the Champions League, having played in it already, but at 19 years old, he would be seen as a player for the future, in any case.

Hefty price

Interest in Saha has been cooled by Fulham's angry reaction. They noted United's interest in a statement on their club website, making it plain he is not for sale at the kind of figure being mentioned in the Press.

The player himself thinks differently, saying: "I cannot say no. United is my dream, and I want to go there."

Saha is greatly respected by United players, who are consulted by Fergie - he splashed out £12.2 million on Cristiano Ronaldo partly on the basis of the feedback from Reds defenders who were tormented by the 18-year-old in the pre-season friendly with Sporting Lisbon.

And Gary Neville, who has more input than most, spoke glowingly of Saha after Fulham had won 3-1 at Old Trafford in October. He said of the Frenchman and team-mate Steed Malbranque: "They could play, and will play, for one of the big clubs in England, if not Europe."

After Fulham's strong reaction, United looked more closely at Viduka, a player who has a proven record in the Champions League, and who, vitally, has the physique and the technique to replace van Nistelrooy in the team, as well as play alongside him.

Leeds cannot afford to get uppity about selling Viduka and if they have not found a buyer by January 19, they will be heading for administration and a possible garage sale of all of their assets.

United are watching what happens with interest, and the prospect of picking up the Australian international for around £5m is the sort of temptation to which Fergie was referring.

Young guns

Viduka's team-mate Alan Smith and West Ham's young England striker Jermain Defoe have also been mentioned, but both have poor disciplinary records, an area in which Fergie has clamped down.

The shock of Ferdinand's eight-month ban, soon to be appealed, brought a fresh wave of speculation that the Reds will switch the focus of their search to a defender.

Names like Carlos Puyol (Barcelona), Roberto Ayala (Valencia), Vincent Kompany (Anderlecht), Kevin Hofland (PSV) and Hatem Trabelsi (Ajax) have been freely bandied about. But all of them would be ineligible for the Champions League, making them non-starters.

Proven quality defenders who have not played in Europe are rare commodities. Boca Juniors' Nicolas Burdisso has been mentioned, but taking any player from South America represents a big risk.

The same goes for promising young Nottingham Forest stopper Michael Dawson, while Middlesbrough would want big dough to release Gareth Southgate.

Fergie is likely to stick with the players he has. Mikael Silvestre's worrying knee injury against Everton proved to be nothing and Ferdinand's availability can be stretched out for some time by the FA's own appeals process and by possible action in the civil courts.

And with John O'Shea and Wes Brown due to be ready for action soon, and Roy Keane and Eric Djemba-Djemba able to step into the back four, there is no panic.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Of all the players mentioned,Viduka is the one whom I'd do without.

While the guy's a genuine talent,his temperament is suspect and might not be a good influence on the rest of the team.besides the Australian has a habit of switching out of games which certainly won't be welcome at Old Trafford.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Fleka99 said:
van de Vaart, what about KEZMAN, only the leading goal scorer in the Dutch league for the past 2 years and leading now. He has also played before with Ruud at PSV. I will let you in to a secret. There is a player who is the captain of Red Star Belgrade. His name is Nemanja VIDIC. He will be the next Maldini and Man United need someone like him to cover for Rio. Mark my words. You can have him for 20 million Euro. :D
They aren't gonna give out 20 million squid for a current nobody in world football.
i do agree that it's time for kezman to step out of the dutch league and prove himself at a higher level.

·
Defunk'ed
7,869 Posts
Vidic is friggin more talented than Woodgate, Ferdinand and Terry combined. Just let him go to a big team and see him weave his magic.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
husain 14 thanks for the respect

Husain 14 I thank you for what you said about Vidic. I will say it now and I'll say it again, He is the new Maldini. Please don't talk to me about English defenders, they have to be the worst. The price paid for Rio is a joke. Vidic could place him in his pocket and run laps around the field. You will all see in years to come and all of you people will be saying, 'I remember this crazy Serb telling us about this player in early 2004.'

And Abominus its called Serbia and Montenegro now. Been like that for over a year now. Get with the times. And another thing any idiot can rip out a cheque book and pay zillions for an established player. Spotting talent is another thing. Vidic has it all.

·
Registered
282 Posts
yeah and i'm sure you see a lot of your beloved yugo, i mean serb league over there in down under :howler:

and your'e not the first person from that country and surrounding countries to familiarise me with you awful and pathetic biased opinions of your players and teams :yuck:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fleka99 it's obvious that you have alot of affection for your country, team and it's players and i respect that its quite normal.

Now i'm not saying Vidic isn't a talented player but to start comparing him to Rio, Woodgate and Terry (Terry IMO is a great player ask anyone at Chelsea) who are so much more experienced and in a better league is nonsense. Saying he's the next Maldini is an even bigger statement considering his tender age.

Of course all i can hope is that he is indeed the next Maldini and I look forward to seeing him in red :cool:

And Abominus theres no need to get rude, I've already heard several complaints about your conduct.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Abominus:

We see the SCG league down under on satellite TV. An amazing technology. Nearly as amazing as the sea walls in Holland that is stopping the country that you live in from flooding.

Biased opinions, well. Do you remember Red Star Belgrade (see left) They won that Euru Cup in 1991. The same cup that Juve have been trying to buy for the past 10 years. Steau Bucharest is another that comes to mind, a country near mine. Your ignorance is evident.

Russell thanks for the support.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts