Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finland suffered a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Macedonia in Prilep. Macedonia scored in the 33 minute with a goal from Goran Stabrevski.

This is a shocker! First we beat Portugal by 4 goals to 1 away and now we loose to a poor Macedonia side. Is Finland playing with us & is this what they want their opponents to think? Nobody knows. It is a mystery to me & surely to many others.

I wonder how the press will react to this result tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
FYROM isn't that poor, but I understand you when you say it's a shocker. Winning away against Portugal(without their stars) is amazing and then losing home against an easier opponent is of course strange. But then again the ball is round:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes they are! The Former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia isn't even close to Finland's level. They aren't exactly what I would call a quality side. Their best player plays for Eintracht Frankfurt for god's sake. We beat them last time 3-0 with our B team and that was only a bit over 2 months ago. The Finnish team is taking it too relaxed, I kid you not. :D

I am furious as you can probably tell! ;)

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Okay if you're able to beat them 3-0 with your reserves, then I can see your frustration:)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh btw Yakubu we didn't play at home you think we have some place in Finland called Prilep. :D

The match was played in Macedonia. When Finland plays at home they either play at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium (biggest football stadium in Nordic europe. Built for Olympics) or then at the Finnair Stadium (home of HJK & FC Jokerit)

Sometimes Finland may play in Turku or Tampere.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seems like coach Muurinen was unhappy with many of our player's attitude. But good that this came now and not in the EC-qualifications. Perhaps the players will remember to have the right attitude in forthcoming matches, no matter who we play against.

Let's not forget that we are still quite a small football nation. We can't expect our team to win every match, and when some of our key-players are missing this kind of things can happen.

And when we last time beat FYROM, they also had their "reserve" team.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm the pitch was in terrible condition the stadium looked like it had seen it's "glory days" long before. No wonder we lost. :D

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Niclas, the exact same pathetic excuse us Danes used when we lost 3-0 away to Ireland :howler:...but no, you won't get away with it :stuckup:. You were probably unconcentrated or something, you know, sh!t happens ;).

But surely a horrible loss, much worse than ours to Ireland, after all they have some very good players.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kee you're right, I don't think Hyypiä is ever benched. What was manager Muurinen thinking!?! :eek:

Oh well, I think he was giving new players a chance to shine. I think the team did everything but that though. :(

·
Registered
195 Posts
We gave up one goal in Macedonia, that's no catastrophe. The problem is that without Mikael Forssell we seem very poor to create chances. He was brilliant against Portugal and can't be replaced by Jonatan Johansson.

When we play with only one real striker, it must be a superb goalgetter. When Forssell is injured, it leaves us very few options. I hope Paulus Roiha can develop to a good substitute.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, I agree with you on that one, Forssell is currently one of our most important players. Johansson has showed that he is not good enough and Roiha isn't ready yet. I have also my doubts if he would fit that well to our playing style. Kuqi can be useful when he comes off the bench for the last minutes when the opposition's defense is already tired but I don't think he is good enough to be a starter. I don't understand why Muurinen hasn't given Sumiala a chance. He has been quite impressive in Turkey.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts