A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name: Eidur Smari Gudjohnsen
Current Club: Chelsea FC
Date of Birth: 15 September 1978
Position: Forward
Comments: Amazing talent. Recently transferred from Bolton to Chelsea who beat off the cream of top European clubs for his 4
Million signature.
Son of Arnor Gudjohnsen, former player of Lokeren, Anderlecht, Bordeaux and Örebro. Moved from Reykjavik club Valur where he
was the best player in the Icelandic Premier League at the age of 16 to PSV Eindhoven. Played with Ronaldo, Stam,Cocu,Zenden at
the age of 17 in the Dutch league and in Europe, made his debut at Nou Camp vs. Barcelona as sub. Horrific injury made PSV cancel
his contract and many doctors told him he'd never play again. He moved back to Iceland and started working on his fitness and got
himself together and was spotted by Bolton playing for KR Reykjavik in the Icelandic Premier League. Moved to Bolton for free and
spent 1 and a half year there in the English 1st division where he rediscovered his form and was transferred to Chelsea for 4 million
this summer.
Strong as an ox, typical for an Icelander. His dazzling technique, dribbling qualities and vision however, are not that typical for a
Icelander. Easily Iceland's best player already. Iceland's national team manager, Atli Edvaldsson, values him at 15 Million pounds
and rising.
Tipped to score over 15 goals in his first Chelsea season.

Name: Heidar Helguson
Current Club: Watford
Date of Birth: 22 August 1977
Position: Striker
Comments: Signed from Lilleström in Norway for 1.5 Million Pounds where he scored 16 goals in 21 league games. Never played in
the top league in Iceland. A raw striker known for his battling qualities and gritty performances. A born goal scorer allthough his
technique isn't the best, but very good in the air and knows where the goal is. Tipped for stardom.

Name: Bjarni Gudjonsson
Current Club: Stoke City FC
Date of birth: 26 February 1979
Position: Midfield/Forward
Comments: Previous clubs IK Akranes, Newcastle, Genk. Second eldest of Gudjon Thordarson's three footballing sons from his first
marriage, he joined his father in March in a £250,000 move from Belgian League champions Genk. Spent 18 months at Newcastle
after being recruited as an 18-year-old by then manager Kenny Dalglish. A full Icelandic international, he was playing right wing back
for Genk but can play in a variety of positions and says he hopes to end up in central midfield. Has suffered a little for who's son he
is, but no doubt a very talented footballer. Excellent passing ability, good eye for goal and a team player. Expected to go far in the
game.

Name: Omar Johannsson.
Current Club: IFK Malmö, Sweden.
Date of Birth: 02 march 1981
Position: Goalkeeper.
Comments: Considered one of Europe's most promising goalkeepers. Has already made it to the bench of Malmö's first team.
Expected to be first team keeper from 2001.

Name: Indridi Sigurdsson
Current Club: Lilleström, Norway.
Date of birth: 12 october 1981
Position: Defender
Comments: Previously tracked by top clubs Liverpool, Manchester United and Bayern Munich. Opted for Lilleström in Norway because
he felt he'd be more involved. Already starting playing for their first team in his first season with the club. Played in the Icelandic
Premier League age 16 -18 for KR Reykjavik. A left sided pacy defender with excellent passing ability and attack minded. A cool
defender tipped to have a good career in the game.

Name: Arnar Vidarsson
Current Club: Lokeren, Belgium.
Date of Birth: 15 march 1978
Position: Defender/midfielder
Comments: Defender/midfielder tipped for a great future. Left footed with excellent passing and a complete footballer with few
weaknesses. Recently transferred to Lokeren from Norwegian club Lilleström.

Name: David Vidarsson
Current Club: FH Hafnarfjordur, Iceland.
Date of Birth: 24 april 1984
Position: Midfield
Comments: Captain of the current Iceland U-16 team and younger brother of Arnar Vidarsson. Left footed holding midfielder with
excellent ability to control a game. Excellent passing, shooting, heading ability. Being tracked by Manchester United and other clubs
and likely to move soon from Iceland.

Name: Viktor B. Arnarsson
Current Club: FC Utrecht, Holland.
Date of Birth: 22 january 1983
Position: Midfield
Comments: A hot prospect. Had 2 trials at Liverpool but opted for the Dutch league where he signed for FC Utrecht from his local
Icelandic club Vikingur Reykjavik. Is already playing for Utrecht reserves showing his quality and it's hard to imagine he's only 17
years old. Viktor is a creative midfielder and a nightmare to any defense. Very good dribbler and very creative player. Will not stop
long at Utrecht.

Name: Gylfi Einarsson
Current Club: Fylkir Reykjavik
Date of Birth: 27 october 1978
Position: Midfielder
Comments: The find of the Icelandic season. Gylfi's goals and creative performances for lowly club Fylkir have shot him to the
Icelandic national team this summer. Last week denied a professional contract with Lyn in Norway.
Expected to move to England in August, Tranmere Rovers likely destination.
A creative midfielder, with quick feet and a very dangerous hard working player.

Name: Magnús Thorsteinsson
Current Club: Keflavik/Herenveen, Holland.
Date of Birth: 22 september 1982
Position: Forward
Comments: Magnus is a forward, very fast with deadly finishing. Has been likened to Robbie Keane and Michael Owen. Has spent
the summer both at his club Keflavik and Herenveen in Holland where he's expected to sign professional contract when the Icelandic
season is over.
A prolific goalscorer in Iceland youth football for many years.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm sorry to say that I don't know a lot about Icelandic football or they players, but I think that they have a good
chance to atleast reach the play off in the WC qualification. I mean the biggest threats are Denmark, Czech Rep., and Bulgaria. After have seen Denmark in the Euro2000 I think Iceland can pick some points from them and Bulgaria haven't impressent very much lately either.
Iceland did really well in the Euro qualification after defeating both Ukraine and Russia and drawing against the ruling World and European Champions France I was impressed by the results that Iceland made.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Yes, this is the right forum. It is just that the current knowledge here of Icelandic players playing in their homeland is next to nothing.

Norwegian scouts search the Icelandic league for players all the time, and this is why our league has(or has had) over 50%(I could be exaggerating) of the players in their national team. So I reckon since I haven't heard of him, he is either 1. Too young to leave Iceland 2. Not that good. 3. On his way to Norway 4. On his way to England

Hmmmm...ok I admit that was the worst kind of guessing, and not the answer you were looking for :) If he is really good, I am certain we will here about him soon.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Helgi Sigurdsson to Lyn

The 26 year old striker from Iceland, was a big success at Stabæk a few years ago, was sold to Panithinaikos. He has scored 18 goals in 40 matches for the club(which I think is very impressive) but hasn't played too much this season. After buying a new striker, the decided to sell him. With Lyn being on the look for a striker a long time now, he was the perfect man for the job. They have been talking all this week in Greece(must have been a nice trip for the Lyn leaders).

With some luck he will play this weekend against Bryne. :)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Welcome....finally!!! I don't know how many times I had to advertise on Icelandic sites before I got anyone to join.

As you might understand you are the first Icelandic person here. I hope you will stay and post, wherever you feel like.

You have a lot of good Icelandic players coming up, quite a few of them are playing in Norway, and also a few in England. Personally I think Arason is just an amazing keeper, perhaps the best Iceland has ever seen. What do you think??

·
Registered
5 Posts
Icelandic soccer

Yes. I think Arason is very good keeper.
I have been watching him and read aboud him in the paper here home. Which is a good news for oss.

You dident know that i´m a keeper olso here in Iceland.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Icelandic soccer

I have been watching him and read aboud him in the paper here home. Which is a good news for oss.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
From Iceland...(insert insult to Iceland..like..robots only exist in the civilized world, but since our friend here is new I won't say that) yes they have a lot of robots there ;)

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
I would love to go to Iceland once. It seems like a beautiful country.

So Ragge, what is your favourite Icelandic national team?? Which player would play if you were coach, which formation would you use?? :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Yeah Iceland is very nice. Orange, have you been to the other Scandinavian countries Finland, Sweden, Denmark? I've been to all of them except Norway but I'll surely visit soon enough.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Re: Icelandic soccer

ragga said:

yeah Arason is a :cool: player

Well i did some research and Valur played in the Icelandic top league:eek:, but got relegated :(

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
lionheart said:
Yeah Iceland is very nice. Orange, have you been to the other Scandinavian countries Finland, Sweden, Denmark? I've been to all of them except Norway but I'll surely visit soon enough.
I have been to Finland as a child, used Sweden as a springboard to the world a zillion times, and spent quite a lot of time in Denmark. I would like to go to Finland again though, and experience it with hair on my chest ;)

Not to forget the Faroe Islands....it would be great to go thee too :D

1 - 20 of 453 Posts