Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1269 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Steven Gerrard came third behind Craig Bellamy and Michael Ricketts. Van Nistelrooyy won the Player of the year ahead of Henry and Pires.

What does everyone think? I think Bellamy deserved his young player of the year and i suppose Van Nistelrooy deserved the player of the year for all his goals. I still think Hyypia shouldve been nominated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
In a way,it was to be expected.

The difference between Bellamy at Newcastle,and Bellamy at Coventry is nothing short of amazing.Ruud has had a phenomenal season,and scored many outstanding goals - that combined with the fact he's had to recover froma very serious injury probably swung it his way.

As for Sami,or indeed Sami & Steph,a centre-half rarely get's this kind of award - so it's no great surprise,still a shame he didn't even make the short-list though.It matters little,next time around - PFA award or not - we'll have the TEAM of the season:) .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John Barnes said:
It matters little,next time around - PFA award or not - we'll have the TEAM of the season:) .
Here here.
Maybe we should have goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and striker of the year awards as well. Then Liverpool could sweep the board in the first two. I know we have team of the year but that is hardly recognised.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Sometimes, you wonder who, Hyypia or Henchoz, gets more recognition. They have seldom play not together at the heart of our defence, not at least for this season. Last year, Hyypia dominated at the back, with some poor performances by Henchoz, that had to be bailed out at times with Babbel. However, this season, it was a different story, as Henchoz have fully established himself in the middle and at times, Hyypia looks shaky. As a result, one probably wonder whether the defence will hold up if one gets injured. That is probably the reason why the selectors found it hard to include either one. But nevertheless, even they do not get recognized by their fellow professionals, they will find it tougher to break them down next season.

Go Hyypia and Henchoz.

paw;)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Gerrard to miss World Cup through injury!!

Tuesday, 14 May, 2002, 12:33 GMT 13:33 UK
Gerrard out of World Cup

Steven Gerrard has been ruled out of England's World Cup campaign.

The 21-year-old midfielder needs an operation on his groin after limping out of Liverpool's match against Ipswich on Saturday.

Gerrard, a key part of Sven-Goran Eriksson's plans, had hoped to shrug off the injury in time to join the England squad on a pre-tournament get-together.

But a scan on Monday revealed surgery was required, with Gerrard requiring about six weeks to recover.

Gerrard told the official Liverpool website: "The rehabilitation period for this sort of operation is six weeks, so obviously I'm going to miss the World Cup which is a massive disappointment.

"However, I need to get myself right as I wouldn't have been able to do myself or the team justice in Japan. "

Gerrard admitted he was concerned that trying to get fit for the World Cup would have serious repurcussions in the future.

"In the short term it's a big blow, but I'm only 21 and confident this surgery means I'll be involved in other major tournaments for the national side in the future.

"I want to send all the England lads my best wishes for the tournament and let them know I'll be cheering them on from home.

"My priority now has to be to get myself fit for the start of next season with Liverpool."

The England squad arrived in Dubai on Monday, without Gerrard or Kieron Dyer.

However, there were more encouraging signs for Dyer.

His knee injury is rapidly improving and the Newcastle star has been given until the end of the week to prove his fitness.

England captain David Beckham is also confident of being fit for the start of the tournament.

But coach Sven-Goran Eriksson is unlikely to chance Beckham in World Cup warm-up matches against South Korea and Cameroon.

Dyer damaged knee ligaments playing for Newcastle after a crude challenge by Southampton's Tahar El Khalej.

But England team-mate Rio Ferdinand says there is still hope for the Newcastle midfielder.

"He thinks he's got a good chance. He's very positive," added Ferdinand.

"He's going to be working his hardest this week to get fit.

"It would be a blow to lose him, and difficult to replace players of that calibre, but the ones who will come in are quality players."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Bad news for Stevie.. as his international badluck continues.. Bad news for England too.. with Butt also injured.. England might face a dillema on how to actually play in midfield...

Stevie... YNWA.... :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Huge blow for England. We have one of the best midfields in the world when our top four players are fit. Take two or even one of them away and the strength of the team as a whole is measurably reduced.

Though it would have been a great experience for Stevi G, from a selfish pov, I'd rather have him fit, hungry and refreshed for the start of next season, when we shall surely clinch the title....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
:depress:

Totally gutted for the lad...

But it is obviously for the good if the op sort out his groin problem forever like what happened to Hencoz ...

Stevie G is still young and he will have his chance. I reckon he will be the future England Skipper

Praying that he get well soon....

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
again selfish point of view but at least it will be sorted out and maybe a summer off is what he needs to stop getting injured...

I am gutted for him though... it's a shame that he can not prove that he is the best defensive midfielder around at the moment

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
'gutted' Gerrard Hopes He's Now Injury-free

Steven Gerrard is recovering well from his groin operation, and he says missing the World Cup will be worthwhile if his long-standing injury problems are finally cured.

The Liverpol midfielder was cruelly ruled out of England's campaign after suffering a recurrence of his groin trouble on the final day of the Premiership season.

But his lack of activity this summer meant he could undergo corrective surgery, and all the signs are that it has been a success.

"The rehab is going well and the surgeon is pleased with how the operation went," Gerrard said.

"I won't know until I have played a number of games next season, but hopefully the surgery will cure the problems.

"I am still gutted I won't be in the team against Sweden though. But it won't sink in properly until I am watching the game at home."

Gerrard's injury marked the beginning of England's injury troubles, with his replacement in the squad, Danny Murphy, now ruled out of the finals with a broken foot.

I hope this will cure his groin problem too and be a super midfielder next season for Liverpool and England. Take care and get well soon.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
I still remember the days when Gerrard will be fit for one game and out the next. And when he is fit, he plays an average of 60 minutes.:( Last season (01-02), he did better, putting in more games than he had in other seasons, showing us more of his improving fitness, though his passing has not been up to his high standards. Hopefully with this operation, he will only be out due to poor form, which of course, we do not want to see. It is a shame that his operation had to happen during post season in an even numbered year.:)

Get well soon, Gerrard.

paw;)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I thought his performance this season has been mostly good... anyway IMO the reasons for some of his bad performances is that he is bothered by his groin or rustiness coming back from the injury...

really hope that he will be like hencoz who had his groin operated and is now forever free from the trouble....

A fit Stevie G is IMO our MOST important player!!

Get well soon Stevie!

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I've been dissapointed with Gerrard this season, not mainly because he's played poorly, but because we all know he can play so much better than he has done.

I agree he's probably been troubled with an injury most of the season and you can't blame him for being a little off colour if he's struggling with a groin injury.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Owen said 5 years ago Gerrard was shorter than him but he shot up so quickly in this 5 years and his body cannot cope with the growth.... That's why he is prone to injury...

Mmmm... "Gerrard was shorter than Owen..." Can't imagine how was that like... :D

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Arthro Enas said:
Owen said 5 years ago Gerrard was shorter than him but he shot up so quickly in this 5 years and his body cannot cope with the growth.... That's why he is prone to injury...

Yup same as Ronaldo....Growing Pains

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
RazorUK said:
I've been dissapointed with Gerrard this season, not mainly because he's played poorly, but because we all know he can play so much better than he has done.

I agree he's probably been troubled with an injury most of the season and you can't blame him for being a little off colour if he's struggling with a groin injury.
Well I agree with Razor here.. It wasn't that his performances were THAT bad.. it's just that we knew he could perform much better and to see him not live to that expectation was my disappointment.. :(

But hopefuly, with the op done and everything.. Next year he'll be back firing on all cylinders :) and next year is what? less than 3 months away :)

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
Gerrard could be out injured again!!

Hi everyone..

well I just read it off planetfootball.com.. here's the link:
http://www.optasoccer.com/article.a...=&Title=Diao+on+stand-by+to+cover+for+Gerrard

Apparantly.. Steven broke down in training with a thigh complaint.. and has been sent for X-Rays.. until now.. it seems Ok.. But it seems GH has started negotiations with Sedan to release Diap a bit earlier.. as cover for Gerrard.. which might be alarming!! (as it would mean Gerrard is out for a while)... :depress:

1 - 20 of 1269 Posts