Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after reading your guy's stories for a while, I thought I might as well write one of my own as well.

I'm just about to start my 4th season with Arsenal and I've done pretty well so far in my career. I'll try and summarise the past three seasons

Season 1:

At the beginning of my career, all I planned to do was to build up Arsenal's defence. I sold off Cygan to Monaco, Wiltord to Valencia and Edu to Sevilla to build up some cash. With some of that cash I brought in Mexes from Auxerre and Muller from Lyon. Also brought in Viduka during the season as Leeds went bankrupt..so I decided to cash in. These three were my only signings for the season.

I basically played a 4-1-3-2 formation throughtout the season. Lost in the third round of the League Cup, Fifth Round of the FA Cup, lost in the 2nd round of the champions league to Dinamo Kiev and came first in the premiership :D

Chelsea finished 2nd and Man Utd came third. The Man Utd board weren't happy with this and gave Ferguson the sack.

Also was able to get Bonera, Boumsong and Emre on bosmans

Season 2:

This season I aimed to focus more on champions league and to bring in a world class attack. I sold off Campbell to Valencia after he got unhappy that I rejected an offer from Real Madrid. I sold Gilberto for $29.5AUS! to Dortmund after he had a stellar season. Bergkamp and Keown retired. After these two sell offs I had some decent cash that I could use in the market.

And during the season with this money, I brought in Reyes for cheaper than what he was valued thanks to his contract not being protected. Also brought in Alan Smith as Leeds went bust once again. With these two signings, it was a sign of changing times for Arsenal. I had to get rid of the old guard that was still playing around...and you'll see that next season.

Back to this season, I retained the premiership and won the FA Cup but lost to arch rivals Tottenham in the champions league quater finals! :mad: who btw have Ruud Gullit as their manager now. I still got revenge however over Dinamo Kiev, by knocking them out in the 2nd round this time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Season 3:

As I said, I wanted to get rid of some of the current players in the team. Out went Pires to AC Milan, Jeffers to Tottenham, Kanu to Blackburn, Van Bronkhorst to Depor, Lauren to Lazio and Ljurnberg to Villareal. Obviously this gave me much money.

In came in for Paul Robinson who I got for cheap from Leeds, Thiago Motta on a bosman from Barcelona, Perrotta from Chelsea, Terry from Chelsea, Ferrari from Parma, Portillo from Real Madrid and Le Tallac from Liverpool. Things were changing at Highbury :)

This season saw Aliadiere reach his potential for everyone to see. He had an absolutely stunner season. A example was when he scored 4 goals!!! against Man Utd....who we recorded a famous 7-0 victory against. :D

We won the premiership again for the 3rd time in a row now and we also won the League and FA Cup. However we lost the champions league in the final to Juve 1-0 :( I was gutted....I really wanted to do the quadriple.

So thats about it for the past three seasons. As for this season...Im still currently in pre-season but I can't wait to play in our new ground.....Ashburton Grove! which can fit in 60000...almost doubled what Highbury could hold. I got $67 AUS in transfer money to spend which I've already spent 10 mill of on Vieira's cover who is Djemba Djemba :). Already sold off Boumsong to Everton and Viduka to Napoli.

The team that should start the community shield goes something like this:

GK: Robinson
DR: Bonera
DL: Cole
DC: Terry
DC: Ferrari
DMC: Vieira (c)
ML: Reyes
MR: Pennant
MC: Emre
FC: Henry
FC: Aliadere

Subs: Taylor, Mexes, Perrotta, Motta, Portillo

So thats about it...I look forward to giving updates and Im sorry if these two posts ain't as in depth as what you guys would like.
:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only a little update as I only played a little today.

Well as I started, I had numerous offers for Alan Smith and Simone Perrotta. A $15millionAUS offer from Barcelona was too good to knock back as Perrotta was only a fringe player to me. So off he went to the Nou Camp. In came an offer from Man Utd for Alan Smith. $18.5 millionAUS was also too good to knock back as he was valued at 12.5 at the time. Plus I didn't really need Smith as I had other quality players who could do the same thing. My last sell was Boumsong. I put him on the transfer list as he requested during the middle of last season. Now, his contract was ending at the end of this season and there was no way Boumsong would sign a new contract with me, so I offered him to numerous clubs that my assistant thought would be interested in.
Along came Everton and off he went for $3.5 mil. Pretty cheap but I did get him on a bosman so in the end I did make a little profit.

Now with these three sellings, I had to buy one or two players for cover. I bought Ricardo Quaresman from Barca for $10 mil and tried to lure Michael Dawson, Ledley King, James McFadden and Diego. All 4 bids were rejected however each player was upset that their bids were rejected. In the end I couldn't get any of these players, so I was stuck with the team I have.

Community Shield:

Arsenal 1 - 1 Newcastle

I won on penalties

Got off to a flying start as Henry scored in the first 10 minutes. After this we had pretty much the control of the match until the final 10 where Klose headed in an equliser during injury time. Boy was I spewing. Anyway, we finally got through on penalties as Laurent Robert missed his shot.

Then came the start of the Premiership

Arsenal 5 - 0 Leicester

Our much anticipated first match on our new ground at Ashburton Grove and the home crowd didn't go home disappointed. Emre was the first player to score in our new stadium and he didnt stop there...banging in another 3 goals. Henry also scored one to make the score 5-0. :D

Everton 2 - 3 Arsenal

Poor start by us as Rooney gave Everton the lead on the 13th minute. Then there was a long dry run till the 72nd minute, where Reyes opened his account for the season, and he was probably my best on field throughout the match. Then Henry scored an easy tap in on the 77th minute as Arsenal capitalized on a 4 on 2 counter-attack. However I was left stunned as I saw my defence allow Rooney to grab his second on the 85th minute...and thats when I thought "oh well, looks like we are only get 1 point from this" BUT during injury time Le Tallac played a great ball to set Henry free on the right flank and Portillo was making a great run in the box. Henry sent in a perfect cross and Portillo was judged to be tripped over by no other than Boumsong. PENALTY! Henry cooly converts the spot kick and we take the victory.

Arsenal 3 - 0 WBA

We had total control in this game and it showed on the scoreboard. Henry had a great game bagging a hat-trick. His third goal was pretty good with a nice lob over the keeper.

So all in all, a positive start to the season so far. We are 3-0 in the premiership and we bagged another Charity Shield. The next couple weeks will be tough as we have away games against Leeds and Man Utd and then a home game against Chelsea. However some Champions League games should cut in between there as the draw hasnt been made yet.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I see you haven't won a major european trophy with Arsenal yet....realistic game!:tongue:

Good luck to you,and continue your story.:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry about lack of updates....

I was then drawn with Lyon, Genk and Sparta Prague in the Champions League. Pretty easy group i think.

Next match was against Man Utd at Old Trafford. We came away with a 3-2 win which i was very pleased with.

Next up travelled to Lyon. Came away with a 5-2 victory, with a superb second half performance from the team.

Then was a home game against rivals Chelsea. Henry banged in two goals to give us 2-0 victory.

Next up we were away to Portsmouth. The match looked like it was going to end in a draw until Reyes gave us the lead in the 82nd minute to give us a 2-1 victory.

Up next was a home game against Genk. I decided to rest Vieira and Henry for this match and we hammered them 8-0!
:D

Then was a match against Nottm Forest. Another hammering. This time 5-0. A hat-trick to Henry.

Then we travelled to Ewood Park to face Blackburn. Blackburn has been a tough team to play against in the past for me and this time was no different and we ended up drawing the match 1-1.

This was match was our first match of the season where I didn't win. Bugger....

Another interesting stat so far for me, is that no team has yet to score against us at our new ground, Ashburton Grove.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Gunners#1 said:

Up next was a home game against Genk. I decided to rest Vieira and Henry for this match and we hammered them 8-0!
:D
:eek: What's your tactic??

i see you do great, keep on :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts