Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something i found on the official site of Euro 2000. Its quite interesting! Just enjoy this travel through the long and rich history of the most beautiful game in the 20th century.

Here's the URL:http://www.euro2000.org/en/news/story/0,1068,55609,00.html

"France join the ranks of the greatest

Any list that attempts to name the "greatest" teams of all time is bound to cause controversy. Attempts to compare sides from different eras are well-nigh impossible to judge by any objective criteria. Euro.2000.org's guide to some of the great international teams of the past makes no pretence to be authoritative or to rank teams in any particular order. All the sides included must have won a World Cup or European Championship trophy, and we have also offered a nod to some great teams who, through a mixture of bad luck or bad timing, never succeeded in lifting international honours.
Italy 1934-38:
What made them great: The most successful of pre-war international teams. Led by legendary coach Vittorio Pozzo from 1932, the Italians lost just seven internationals in the entire 1930s. They won the World Cups of 1934 and 1938 and the Olympic Games of 1936. Drawing on the coaching methods of, among others Austrian Hugo Meisl and Englishman Herbert Chapman, Pozzo's side were masters of the long pass and utilised an attacking central defender to great effect. Pozzo himself was a master of psychology who defined his man-management technique as "kind, but with a strong hand." Only two players from the first of Pozzo's World cup triumphs played in the second, which made his achievements all the greater.

Star performers: Gianpiero Combi, considered Italy's finest goalkeeper until the emergence of Dino Zoff. He also pre-dated Zoff by almost 50 years by captaining Italy to World Cup glory in 1934. Giuseppe Meazza, an inside forward of astonishing ability, scored 33 goals in 53 internationals and created just as many again. Meazza and inside-left Giovanni Ferrari were the only two men to appear in both Italian World Cup triumphs that decade.

Soviet Union: 1956-66
What made them great: Sustained excellence over twelve years saw the Soviet Union reach three European Championship finals out of four, two World Cup quarter-finals and one World Cup semi-final. They still enjoyed something of a reputation as underachievers throughout this period, although they succeeded in winning the gold medal at the 1956 Olympics and the inaugural European Championship (or the European Nations Cup as it was then known) in 1960. Some critics bemoaned the Soviets' lack of flair, but their fitness and determination were unmatched and set new standards across Europe.

Star performers: Igor Chislenko was a superb, if diminutive, attacker who starred in the 1962 and 1966 World Cups. His sending-off in the 1966 semi-final against West Germany ended Soviet hopes of reaching the final. However the undisputed star of the Soviet side was Lev Yashin. Nicknamed the Black Spider or Black Panther because of his famously jet-black goalkeeper's jersey, Yashin is widely regarded as the finest goalkeeper of all time. The only 'keeper to ever win the European Footballer of the Year award, he played in every major tournament for the Soviets between 1956 and 1966 and was still a reserve at the Mexico World Cup of 1970 when in his 40s.

Brazil: 1970:
What made them great: There have been other great Brazilian sides of course, but none captured the imagination of the world in quite the same way as the incomparable 1970 World Cup-winning vintage. Defence was almost an alien concept as Mario Zagallo's side placed almost their entire emphasis on attack, and still beat all-comers. They strolled to the FIFA World title, with only England and Romania managing to contain them to single goal deficits. Expressive, artistic, compelling and exotic - no matter how many adjectives you use they still fail to do credit to a side of utter wonder.

Star performers: Pele, who enjoyed the most creative of Indian summers imaginable. Jairzinho who scored in every match in the finals. Tostao, who Zagallo utilised as a centre-forward and Rivelinho, a deep lying, skilful left-winger. Carlos Alberto marshalled what passed for the defence, but he too seemed keener on attacking.

West Germany 1972-74:
What made them great: Until France emulated their achievement over 20 years later, West Germany were the only side to have ever simultaneously held the World and European crowns. Under Helmut Schön, they were a supremely efficient attacking and defensive unit with a great libero in Franz Beckenbauer. They swept to the European Championship in 1972 with Gunter Netzer utterly rampant. Schön was brave enough to virtually dispense with the blond midfield schemers' services in favour of Wolfgang Overath at the World Cup two years later. The Germans upset neutrals by defeating Johan Cruyff's Netherlands in the final and perhaps never received the credit they so richly deserved for their own brand of total football and creating the base for three decades of German domination of European football.

Star performers: Franz Beckenbauer, the epitome of cool at sweeper and Gerd Müller, the most clinical of modern day finishers were the main men, but the likes of Netzer, Overath, Hoeness and Bonhof also played crucial roles at crucial times for a German side brimming with talent.

France 1982-86:
What made them great: For footballing purists this French side had it all. Desperately unfortunate to lose a titanic semi-final battle to West Germany in the 1982 World Cup after leading 3-1 in extra-time the French were at the zenith of their powers two years later as they swept to European Championship triumph. Alain Giresse, Jean Tigana, Luis Fernandez and Michel Platini formed the most mouth-watering artistic of midfield combinations The neutrals' favourite side throughout the 1980s they were past their best at the Mexico World Cup two years later but still succeeded in reaching the semi-finals.

Star performers: The aforementioned midfield quartet of course. Of these four, Platini was the talisman; he scored nine goals in the European Championship finals of 1984, a record that is likely to last for generations to come.

Netherlands 1988:
What made them great: A side for whom greatness was fleeting. Like many Dutch sides they promised more than they ultimately delivered, apart from one glorious championship in 1988. With the Milan AC pair of Ruud Gullit and Marco van Basten, as well as Frank Rijkaard, the Dutch started stutteringly at the 1988 European Championship, but gained momentum as they progressed and ultimately triumphed gloriously. Coached by Rinus Michels, whose Dutch side of 14 years previously had come so close to World Cup glory, the Dutch failed to build on this triumph, disappointing at Italia 90 and EURO 92™, but with their vibrant attacking style they enjoyed a wonderful summer in the sun.

Star performers: Marco van Basten, his career was ultimately savaged by injury, but at EURO 88™ he was at his sublime best scoring a superlative hat trick against England in the group stages and a fantastic goal against the Soviets in the final. Gullit was an energetic creative presence and Rijkaard almost his equal. Just as important, though less headline grabbing, were the talents of Ronald Koeman, Gerald Vanenburg, Arnold Mühren and goalkeeper Hans van Breukelen.

France 1998-2000:
What made them great: Where they will ultimately rank in the pantheon of great teams is unclear as some historical perspective still needs to be brought to bear, but their achievements are undeniable. The product of a wonderfully forward-looking youth system, the French failed to qualify for two successive World Cups after the end of the Platini age, but returned with a bang in 1998. Aime Jacquet dispensed with some traditional French individualism and in its place forged a formidable team ethic dashed with touches of more typical Gallic flair. They started slowly at the 1998 World Cup but eventually built up an unstoppable momentum. Buoyed by the confidence of lifting the World Crown they proved their status as the greatest side in the world by lifting the European crown two years later under Roger Lemerre after all hope appeared to be lost in the final against Italy.

Star performers: Zinedine Zidane, a playmaker of astonishing abiltiy who perfectly integrates himself within a team framework. The back four of Lilian Thuram, Laurent Blanc, Marcel Desailly, and Bixente Lizarazu are incomparable and have never been on the losing side in an international while playing as a quartet. The formidable Didier Deschamps in midfield… need we go on?

Ones that got away: For every great trophy-winning international side, there are other great sides who fell agonisingly short of the biggest prizes:

Hungary 1954: Won the Olympics of 1952 but failed to lift the World Cup. Ferenc Puskas, with his wondrous left foot, and Sandor "Golden Head" Kocsis operated just in front of the brilliantly imaginative Nandor Hidegkuti. They became the first side from outside the British Isles to defeat England at Wembley, destroying them 6-3 in 1953 when they might have scored ten. Swaggered into the World Cup a year later, demolished West Germany 8-3 in the group stages. They met the Germans again in the final, losing 3-2 after being 2-0 up after just eight minutes with a heavily injured Puskas a passenger for most of the game.

The Netherlands 1974: Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol et al enthralled the world with their "total football" and orange shirts at the 1974 World Cup but were thwarted by West Germany at the final hurdle. The aesthetes' favoured side reached another World Cup final four years later, without the terminally unpredictable Cruyff.

Brazil 1982: A midfield overloaded with outrageous flair in the shape of Falcao, Socrates and Toninho Cerezo made them one of the most enjoyable sides to watch in years. They scored fifteen goals in five games at the 1982 World Cup before defensive deficiencies saw them undone 3-2 by Italy. Going forward though they were an absolute delight."

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
GREAT!!!

1st National team to be included in the Greatest of All Times ON TWO OCCASIONS!!! :cool:

It's high time we topped the FIFA Rankings as well... What do you guys think?

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as the FIFA Rankings are concerned, it is a big joke!
it really does not reflect the reality!
It really does not matter which rank we got from those bureaucrats at Geneva or whenever they may be, all i want is that we keep on winning all the major competitions!:)

So which one do you prefer Hala? Being first on the FIFA rankings and getting humiliated 3-0 or being 2nd or 5th or 10th and still be the one who's captain will lift the CUP?
:)
So don't worry about these rankings, just care about the real thing!

And we are gonna be here for a LONG time my friend, i can guarantee you that!

D

·
0 Posts
I read this on the official Euro 2000 web-site too :)

France certainly do belong now to one of the greatest national sides of all-time. :)

Maybe this side will coninue it's dominance further into this decade :eek:

Zidane's only getting better, and Zidane is France :)

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
If Brazil couldn't defeat Argentine, it's for sure that the FIFA ranking would be changed!
But the fact says no!
Brazil showed a brilliant performance when they played Argentine and it's made a big score on that FIFA ranking!!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bodat, you're funny!
If beating Argentina will make a difference for Fifa's rankings, then what will do a World Cup AND a Euro win???
Answer me that please and please try to be intelligent for once!:)

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Its because all Brasilians are indeed irrational. If Brasil is teh best please explain 3-0

Its teh Argies and teh French at teh top.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Please remind me of something??
Did Brazil beat France some time a go in England (??), if I'm not wrong, Roberto Carlos made a great goal from a free-kick at that game! The game was held in Europe, wasn't it??
I wonder if the mighty French or Top european national team play in South America, what would happen???
That might be the reason why Brazil occupy the first rank at FIFA ranking!! Before WC1998, they beat French and another European team in, what cup is it?? I forget! And after WC1998, they won Copa America (is it right??)
In my think, both of those championship is the same level with what French have won.

Argie in top??? I disagree with that!!
At least they are worst than French and Brazil!! :D

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bodat, the last time Brasil beat us was in a friendly in 1993 2-0.....
The tournament you're talking about is the Tournoi de France held in 97 and we tied 1-1 after R.Carlos monster freekick, Maurice equalised....
Copa America compared to EUro???One thing to say: HAHAHAHAHA! Please get your facts right before posting....

D

·
0 Posts
Realistically speaking, Argentina and Brazil are still head and shoulders above the rest of the South American teams aswell as Mexico.

With the European Championships is simly a matter of, who will win it??? there are so many posibly candidates. :D

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
Here's the latest FIFA ranking;
(last month's ranking in parentheses)
1. (1) Brazil 819 points
2. (2) France 808
3. (4) Argentina 749
4. (3) Czech Republic 745
5. (4) Spain 743
6. (6) Italy 729
7. (7) Portugal 716
8. (8) Netherlands 710
9. (10) Norway 705
10. (11) Yugoslavia 704
11. (9) Germany 700
12. (12) Romania 695
13. (15) England 689
14. (13) Mexico 688
15. (14) Croatia 687
16. (19) Paraguay 655
17. (17) Colombia 648
18. (16) Denmark 639
19. (18) Sweden 638
20. (23) South Africa 629
21. (20) U.S. 627
22 equal. (22) Chile 625
22 equal. (21) Scotland 625
24. (25) Morocco 609
25 equal. (24) Russia 606
25 equal. (27) Tunisia 606
27. (26) Slovakia 598
28. (28) Belgium 596
29 equal. (37) Trinidad and Tobago 586
29 equal. (29) Turkey 586

----------
Brazil stayed ahead of World Cup and European champions France at the top of FIFA's world rankings on Wednesday while Argentina moved into the top three for the first time.
Although France narrowed the gap on Brazil to 11 points they are unlikely to edge the South Americans out of first place. The French already have a berth in the 2002 World Cup as holders and so will not play any point-building qualifiers.

----------

San Siro, maybe that's the explanation, why France would never reach the first position!!
I think this kind of system has always made a benefit to a team like Brazil!
FIFA should make two systems on this ranking!!
Like the ATP on tennis game do!

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bodat, my dear 1 BIG reason why Brasil have most of the time been # 1 in the FIFA rankings:

1)Joa Havelange

And as far as the rankings are concerned, You know what ? I really don't give a damn about a ranking that some bureaucrats are designing from a cozy office in Geneve!The really thing that matters is the universal reallity of the field and in that one we have proved it once again that we're the best team there's in the whole Solar System.

Let me ask you a question Bodat, what's in your humble opinion the most accurate way of building any kind of world wide rankings?The one based on the reallity of the field or the one that some bureaucrats in Geneve (Switzerland) decide?

So you want to hear my opinion?I don't give a damn about the FIFA rankings!All i care is that we still win the tournaments throughout the world regardless of the rankings we get...they can even give us 295th ranks if they want, but we'll win eventually once again....and that's what's pissing off the most the FIFA bosses as they all are pro-Brasil...

So i hope you understand how the FIFA rankings work amico Bodat.

·
Registered
6,790 Posts
Well a big reason why Brazil kept the first place for so long is because they won WC94, went to the finals of WC98 and won Copa America 99. I mean let's face it they get the results one way or another.

I think the main reason why they don't get 'eclipsed' by France is because they won Copa America, which gives a team equivalent points as to Euro Championships. And I truly belive that Copa is a 2 or 3 team tourney at most. The only exception being 99 when Argentina didn't send any of their foreign players because they were too tired (except for Simeone, Ayala, and Ortega) and fielded a new look team.

In general the FIFA World Rankings are used to give the average fan (one that is not a freak like us on the msg boards :) ) a GENERAL idea of what the good teams are in this sport.

And for those who actually watch it and follow details now know that France is #1 in the WORLD.

·
Registered
7,601 Posts
I really agree with you San Siro about that Joao Havelange!! He's a kind of dictator...
I am not against you about these FIFA ranking or doubting that France is the true number one in the world! We have discussed about this kind of stupid ranking a few times a go in Milanmania! Ranking has nothng to do with a team's performance! But some people use it for saying that a team is better than another! And that's bother me enough!
One of my friend said that FIFA rank the country in their ranking with not only a national team's performance but the whole of teams who represent their country! So this FIFA ranking not only about the senior team, but also include the junior team! Honestly, I don't know the truth! I checked it to FIFA's official website and I didn't find some answer there!!

Well, it's okay then! At least we know that people consider that France is the true number one!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts