Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who would've thought?

An unseen virus from a city called Wuhan will cause havoc and disruption all over the world. Even football as we know it got affected as it is never insulated from the outside world. Thanks to this disruption, some clubs (like other real life businesses) will simply cease to exist. That is how bad the situation has got.

Maybe in Italy it will bit less severe than England and Spain, as the income from gate receipts is much less than other European clubs (most Italian clubs don't own their stadiums) and hence the loss of that particular source of income won't hit as hard as for other clubs.

Still, the situation was precarious even before Corona hit with most Italian clubs reporting hefty losses while expenses kept increasing, year after year. And to make matters worse, with a weak economy in the after-math of this pandemic, expect commercial revenue to also hit hard.

We have seen how the Bundesliga took the lead in bringing back a bit of normalcy with the resumption of matches behind closed doors. And most of the big leagues will do the same during this month. This comeback should be the burning light of hope, specially to hard core football fans, that life will go on.

Finally, I hope everyone at this community is safe and sound, and haven't missed a dear one due to this pandemic. Football will finally bring us back together after that long pause.

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
Welcome back my man :) It was first day ever without a single COVID 19 death here in Sweden, so that's something. But you cant totally relax yet.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome back my man :) It was first day ever without a single COVID 19 death here in Sweden, so that's something. But you cant totally relax yet.
Thanks!

What do you think of the handling of COVID 19 in Sweden? As there's a lot of criticism on the soft approach to lockdowns, herd immunity and high death total comparative to population.

I guess no one expected the high death toll since Sweden isn't a grey nation like Italy or say Japan. And according to officials, hospital and ICU beds weren't saturated to a point were they were refusing new patients which could've explained the high death toll.

·
Greta joke sharer
23,435 Posts
Thanks!

What do you think of the handling of COVID 19 in Sweden? As there's a lot of criticism on the soft approach to lockdowns, herd immunity and high death total comparative to population.

I guess no one expected the high death toll since Sweden isn't a grey nation like Italy or say Japan. And according to officials, hospital and ICU beds weren't saturated to a point were they were refusing new patients which could've explained the high death toll.
It's been discussed a lot lately that many elderly people who caught the virus were only offered palliative care. So I guess that would account for a lot of deaths.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome back Nacka. If that is the case then it would really be sad, as those deaths could've been avoided with better care.

Another puzzling figures come from Belgium, with alarmingly high death rates.

Today a professor in Italy claimed that the virus is weakening already and that new cases are mostly asymptomatic or with mild effects, but it was quickly denied by other experts. Thankfully, we haven't seen a spike in infections since lockdown measures have been eased, so it is either social distancing and wearing masks is working or it is true that the virus is weakening.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Juve's packed Serie A Schedule:

• Bologna-Juve, 22/6 h 21.45 Sky
Juve-Lecce, 26/6 h 21.45, Sky
• Genoa- Juve, 30/6 h 21.45, Sky
Juve- Toro, 4/7 h 17.15, Sky
• Milan-Juve, 7/7 h 21.45 dazn
Juve-Atalanta, 11/7 h 21.45 dazn
• Sassuolo-Juve, 15/7 h 21.45 Sky
Juve-Lazio, 20/7 h 21.45, Sky
• Udinese- Juve, 23/7 h 19.30, Sky

Yikes, most kick-offs are late but I'm just glad we could finally watch Juve again :love:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at how closely the fixtures are played, I believe Sarri should accommodate 2 teams:

Team A:

Szczesny; De Sciglio, Bonucci, Chiellini, Alex Sandro; Khedira, Pjanic, Matuidi; Douglas Costa, Dybala, Ronaldo.

Team B:

Gigi; Cuadrado, De Ligt, Demiral, David Luiz; Ramsey, Bentancur, Rabiot; Berna, Higuain, Ronaldo.

I know this is extreme, with only Cristiano in both teams, but I really think this should be done to avoid any injuries, specially with the Champions League coming up in August.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Uno di noi 💗💗💗

Also, Grazie Atalanta for making it +4 but it is still early times, there are still 11 more rounds and tough fixtures vs Lazio, Atalanta, Milan and Roma

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
Atalanta are frankly so amazing. Admire their whole approach, maybe naive but every time I see them I cant help thinking what if Gasperini was in Juventus.

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
Probably he would be sacked before Christmas.
You think so? I dont fear that (Juve havent been impatient with coaches since Del Neri/Ranieri days), but it might backfire for sure, that's why I said I might be naive first.

But his approach is really admirable. It suffocates opponents and gets the maximum from his players. If he improves tactically in defensive sense he might become a force to be reckon with a team with so little resources.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Official: Thomas Meunier to Dortmund as a free agent. Would've been very useful for us, competition for Cuadrado on the right, pushing the buck-average to the left or out of the squad all together. Surprised we didn't go for it as one of the typical free signings we do every summer. Good on Dortmund, after pulling off Haaland this is another great signing.

·
Registered
46,041 Posts
You think so? I dont fear that (Juve havent been impatient with coaches since Del Neri/Ranieri days), but it might backfire for sure, that's why I said I might be naive first.

But his approach is really admirable. It suffocates opponents and gets the maximum from his players. If he improves tactically in defensive sense he might become a force to be reckon with a team with so little resources.
It is not 100% certain but he looked brilliant with Genoa too, while he was a failure at Palermo and Inter. He is sort of all or nothing. At Atalanta at the very beginning he was also one game close to be sacked.

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
It is not 100% certain but he looked brilliant with Genoa too, while he was a failure at Palermo and Inter. He is sort of all or nothing. At Atalanta at the very beginning he was also one game close to be sacked.

His Genoa were solid and successful side, but you think its anywhere near this level of insanely brilliant team football? Seems like a an elevated approach to me.

Everyone was kind of a failure in Palermo it feels like :D Because of how impatient Zamp was, but truth be told, I dont even remember Gaspa there so he must sucked hard. Inter tenure is mere 3 months, can barely talk about, even in disastrous mode, thats just way too short. Hiring someone you have zero confidence in. And yeah he admitted himself, that he was about to be fired by Atalanta, until he had to change his thinking, he stopped using older players, and focused on lots of motivated and hard running young players, and suddenly his ideas started working out well with them.

In an unrelated notice, this is pretty funny :D

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4-0 against Lecce piling more pressure on the chasers, but the sight of Matuidi playing as left-back was awkward.. this is the problem with Italian football, Alphonso Davies was given a chance at Bayern after a similar situation with an injury crisis at leftback and he never looked back, ending up as one of the revelations in the Bundesliga this season.. We had the chance to promote someone like Beruatto from the U23 but refuse to do so..

Anyway, tomorrow Fiorentina will have Chiesa and Caceres banned against Lazio and they were horrible against Brescia so I'm not expecting them to damage Lazio at all....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lazio makes it +4 again after a very dubious penalty (without checking VAR), I just wonder if that was given to Juve in such a crucial moment in the Scudetto race what would've been the reaction of the opposing fans and media?

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
Lecce were really dumb and overconfident opponents (no wonder they have the worst defence in league), they were playing well for 30 minutes just passing and running their ass off ofensively pinning us back even, then the stupid amateurish mistake happens for their red card, and the floodgates opens. They try to play like Atalanta and Sassuolo without having the quality or know how.

I havent seen Lazio match, didnt expect them to lose pts to a depleted Fiorentina, so who cares really.

·
Administrator
52,829 Posts
A very underrated fact for last 4 games, is that we havent conceaded a goal in that time. Havent looked close to conceading (sadly also havent looked to close to scoring, with pk or a dybala wonder goal opening up matches). But whatever Sarri is doing defensively post epidemic closure is working, hope we continue down this path.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts