Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A mate and I were talking yesterday about a possible Socceroo lineup this time next year (if we can afford to play and everyone is fit and available). It looks rather exciting, but it always does when there aren't WCQ's to be played ...

3-5-2 ... Why do we play 4 across the back when we only have 1 good defender???

GK: Bosnich/Schwarzer

CB: Moore (Gers)/Muscat (Gers)/Madaschi (Atalanta) SW/CB: Okon (Free)/Zelic (Free)/Milicivic (???) CB: T.Vidmar (Gers)/Cansdell-Sherriff (Leeds)/Foxe (West Ham)

RWB/RM: Emerton (Feyenoord)/Neill (Blackburn)/Wilson (PSV)/Sterjovski (Lille) CM: Skoko (Genk)/Wilkshire (Boro) DM: Johnson (Watford)/Grella (Empoli) CM: Bresciano (Empoli) LWB/LM: Kewell (Leeds)/Lazaridis (Birmingham)/Tiatto (Man City)/Chipperfield (Basle)

FWD x2: Viduka (Leeds)/Aloisi (Osasuna)/Agostino (Fenerbahce?)/Garcia (West Ham)/Kennedy (Wolfsburg)/Zane (Anderlecht)/Milicic (Olympic)/Ferrante (West Ham)

What do you reckon? Anyone I've forgotten?

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I think we should first look to the Oceania Nations Cup if we are going to play in it. I would go for a line up like this:

----------------------------------Bolton--------------------------------------

-----------North--------Harnwell---------Juric-------Tarka-----------

--------Schirippa-------Halpin-------Trimboli------Middleby-----------

-------------------------------Boutsianis----------------------------

------------------------Mori---------------Milicic-----------------

Other squad players: Rech, Pondeljak, Despotovksi, Panopoulos, J and M Petkovic, Maloney, Horsley etc.

Can't remember some names at the moment :D

·
International
6,724 Posts
I have one question and I didn't one to open a new thread about it, ans since this is a thread about the future I will ask here.

How is Scott McDonald doing? is he still at Southampton?

Ummm, I guess that's 2 questions ;)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
First of all
* KI you have listed a 4-4-3 (OR 4-4-1-2 if you prefer to be more technical) there son!!!! :Eekani: :tongue: :wallbang: :finger: ;). Don't tell me you have already conceded that the only way we'll beat the Kiwis with only NSL players is by having an extra man :rollani: :nervous:

* Dyertribe: Good suggestion and a nice squad you've picked there but i don't know about a 3-5-2, especially if Kewell and Emerton are occuping the wide positions. I guess it would be easier for Brett since he played a lot at RWB at Feyenoord (hup Uefa cup winners :proud: ) but then i think it was in a 4-4-2 and sometimes 4-3-3 (not sure how Feyenoord played except like most teams outside Italy (and Spain and perhaps Germany to a lesser extent) they used 4 at the back and therefore Brett would have had another wide player to help him out
The reason why i'm worried about using these two as wingbacks is that they'd have to do too much work defensively and this would take away from their attacking game . I also think that it would be a step backwards (especially if a Sweeper was to be used again) and i don't think we really had any more success with the 5-3-2 / 3-5-2 that with 4 at the back (in terms of attack and defence)

My issue is more with the players that with the system. I think Frank's biggest failing against Uruguay was that he picked too many old, experienced players such as Lazaridis & Muscat who are just not upto international level and guys like Okon and Tony Vidmar who were not playing regularly enough for their clubs and not match-fit enough. Having said this, there is no doubt he got his tactics wrong (f.ex he should have played 3 midfielders in the centre of the park and used 2 defensive midfielders) but i think this was a result of the players he picked. Way too much emphasis was placed on picking players who played in England (even if certain players only played Nationwide football :rollani: ) in preference to players playing top-flight football in second and third tier european leagues (e.g Chipperfield---who i still can't believe was left out of the side :wth: )

I spent the last few days playing the Championship Manager demo (won't get the full game as it will completely ruin my life ;) :D ) to try out various formations (some which were quite crazy fe.x a 4-3-1-2 but with 2 wingers and no strikers!!....it worked ok but i didn't score enough. I've always been a big fan of wingplay so therefore i also tried 4-3-3 with both an offensive playmaker and also tried a defensive playmaker and also with 3 central midfielders but even with the top teams i didn't score enough considering the quality on offer. I also gave a 4-5-1 formation a go with the widemen pushing forward and again with an offensive playmaker and 2 defensive midfielders, defensive playmaker and 5 across the middlie. While defensively this formation was solid, it didn't bring many goals and when i pushed the wingers forward into genuine attacking midfielders i leaked more goals.

The formation that seemed to work best was the plain, but boring :yawn: 4-4-2. Not quite my favourite but perhaps worth another try with our best squad on the park since we didn't really seem to see it in the playoffs against Uruguay where Frankie preferred a 4-4-1-1. I think that with Neill fit we can play for at the back provided that a good centre back is found. Perhaps Mark Byrnes of Vicenza would be a decent gamble to take even though he's very young since he has good speed and we need someone with good speed to partner Moore, an excellent reader of the game. Eddy Bosnar of Sturm Graz would be another realistic option. I think he can also play as a defensive midfielder but Sturm were playing him in defence as far as i can gather

Using the players you have i would line them up in the following ways:
4-4-2;
_________________Schwarzer_____________

Neill______Zelic/Okon____Moore_____Tiatto/Kewell

Emerton___Grella__Skoko/Wilkshire/Marco___Kewell/Chippers

___________Aloisi_________Agostino/Kennedy_________

4-2-3-1;

__________Grella_____Zelic/Okon________

Emerton________Marco/Skoko/Wilkshire_____Kewell/Chippers

________________Aloisi/Agostino

4-5-1 (with defensive mid (or 3 CM's and offensive wings)

__________________Grella__________
__________Marco__________Skoko/Wilkshire
Emerton______________________Kewell/Chippers
________________Aloisi/Agostino

Opinions on your selections:
* Richard Johnson? :wth: - Can't admit that i remember too much of what he did on the NT. I know he scored some nice long range goals when Watford were in the EPL but after having a long term injury and playing nationwide football (even if Vialli is his coach ;) ) i don't think he's good enough to play in such an imprtant role in the NT (particularly in systems 1 (the 4-4-2) and 3(4-5-1) that i highlighted graphically

Problem is that we lack a lot of depth in this department. Okon doesn't seem up to the task and his future is up in the air. I personally think that if he doesn't find a decent club in a good league getting regular playing time then perhaps it might be time for him to move on. Then again i don't think we have a better passer in the NT at present. Stuart Lovell has retired from International football and the only other candidates i can think of as Bosnar and Wehrman. Haven't heard too much about the former and he did have injury problems last year while the latter has been far from impressive on the NT and i think he plays for a club that is just too crap not to mention he has a suspect temperament and hence a fetish for yellow cards :D

* Milicevic. A good selection IMO. Btw he plays in Switzerland now :cool: :happy: for FC Zurich although since he had that terrible knew injury he is actually yet to play a game for them :sigh:. I actually thought he was a left-sided defender but if he can play in the centre of defence then that would be a huge bonus. I just hope he can stay injury free and improve a lot in the Nationalliga in the same way Chippy and Ergic :devil: have :hopefull:

* Zane :rollani:. Ok so he has moved to Anderlecht - Big deal :dontcare:. Frankly he could move to ManU, Bayern, Real etc.. (not that i could ever see that happening :D ) and i still wouldn't consider him because he hasn't done the business for the NT. Sure he was Ok in the Confederations cup but almost a national embarassment against NZ when he failed to win any heading duels despite being 1.92m and also showed that he couldn't shoot from outside 6yrds nor cross a ball to save himself. One excellent season in Norway hasn't convinced me (especially since he was a big time flop the season before at Molde) and he has done stuff all so far this season (1 goal in 9 games). I think Archie Thompson (Lierse) and Sasho Petrovski (Viborg) would be better alternatives even if they are different types of players. We already have tall timber in Viduka and Agostino (not sure about Kennedy but he plays in a physical league) and Thompson and Sasho have done very well in their first season in europe :)

* Lazaridis :rollani: :irritate: - Ok i was a big admirer of him a few years ago but from what i've seen of him in recent times he's about as predictable as the English weather. Has slowed down a lot and nearly every time he gets the ball he kicks it about 10-15m in front of him and always goes outside the defender instead of cutting in at times as well. Coupled with the fact he can't hold down a first team place with Birmingham i regret to say that he is the weakest link..........goodbye :D :tongue:

Thats about all i can think of for the moment

o.s sorry JLP but haven't heard much about Mr McDonald lately. I know he got a few appearences as a late sub for Southampton but that was ages ago

1 - 4 of 4 Posts