Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to move on and look forward to a few competitions on the horizon.

First thing first for the senior team: Donadoni has to go, sorry Milanistas. Lippi may come back, but if not Lippi then who? Mancini is without a job...:yuck: Ancelotti might take the opportunity if asked. :drunk: What about a non-Italian...Guus Hiddink? :thumbsup:

The 2008 Olympics: Who will go? Who are your choices? Which 3 senior players will get called? etc.

The 2009 Confederations Cup: Will we take it seriously? Who's going? Italy vs. Brazil rematch? :lick:

The 2010 World Cup Qualifiers: Who will stay on the squad from our current (2008) line up? Who will lead us to the World Cup, Lippi returning? Will we bring another veteran squad if we qualify, or will we go in with young bloods like Joe Red (G.Rossi) and Giovinco? :thumbsup: Who will be our 4 sentinels in front of Buffon?

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
Guus!!! Hiddink please!

Now there is a coach that knows how to handle the international scene. IIRC in Korea there is a stadium named after him, he gets to fly for free on Korean airlines. :D Took Australia way further then the team was capable of. Has taken Russia to at the very least a semi-final.

Seems to be able to get a squad together and get them to play football that is to their strengths.

The only problems is Italy has enough good coaches and is not a South Korea or Australia or Russia. We have plenty of coaches to fill the Italian job...it seems though that everyone is tied up. Except Mancini and Lippi.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
don't know about all the other questions but from our 2008 roster i'd keep:

buffon, amelia, grosso, zambrotta, chiellini, barzagli, pirlo, de rossi, aquilani, camoranesi, di natale, borriello(?), cassano and maaaaaybe toni (off the bench if his form warrants it)

·
Registered
8,197 Posts

buffon, amelia, grosso, zambrotta, chiellini, barzagli, pirlo, de rossi, aquilani, camoranesi, di natale, borriello(?), cassano and maaaaaybe toni (off the bench if his form warrants it)
I approve this message. A complete overhaul of the squad is necessary. :thumbsup:

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Barzagli???:confused:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I hear alot of people say there is no talent in Italy... which is quite wrong already... We have players in Italy that constantly qualify for the U21 championships... the Olympics and other such tournaments... so the question is whether the talent is there, or if the coaches are maturing them properly. In attack it is hard to find any other nation with the amount of fantasisti coming through, aside from the Argentines and Brazil. I mean Giovinco (at Juve), G. Rossi (Villareal), Forestieri (Siena), Di Gennaro (next year at Genoa) and even Cerci who is currently back at Roma are all promising players in this position... not saying all will be the real deal, but that they have the potential to be. Even in defence, we have some very good players from the U21 side who are regulars in Serie A. Its time to allow these guys some time with the NT and it will benefit Italy, if not for 2010, then 2012 and beyond.

·
Banned
18,453 Posts
I hear alot of people say there is no talent in Italy... which is quite wrong already... We have players in Italy that constantly qualify for the U21 championships... the Olympics and other such tournaments... so the question is whether the talent is there, or if the coaches are maturing them properly. In attack it is hard to find any other nation with the amount of fantasisti coming through, aside from the Argentines and Brazil. I mean Giovinco (at Juve), G. Rossi (Villareal), Forestieri (Siena), Di Gennaro (next year at Genoa) and even Cerci who is currently back at Roma are all promising players in this position... not saying all will be the real deal, but that they have the potential to be. Even in defence, we have some very good players from the U21 side who are regulars in Serie A. Its time to allow these guys some time with the NT and it will benefit Italy, if not for 2010, then 2012 and beyond.

I totally agree. :thumbsbup:

Serse Cosmi for me. ;)

Or Carlo Mazzone.

:howler:

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have one of the best, if not the best, youth team in the World. The Olympics will be the next stepping stone and I can't wait to see Rossi and Giovinco in 2010.

Past 2010, look for Palumbo from Napoli controlling the midfield like Pirlo does these days. :musik: Poloschi and Ballotelli to lead the attack. We have great youth, nothing to worry about for years to come.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Poloschi and Ballotelli to lead the attack. We have great youth, nothing to worry about for years to come.
The future definitely looks brighter with new talent than it did a few years back. But to say Italy is even remotely close to potentially the best youth team... I have a hard time digesting that one. But then again its your opinion, and we'll have a few tourneys that will determine whether I am right or wrong.

·
XT's Demi-God
8,662 Posts
Italy is one of the best youth team in the world. Maybe slight changes in philosophy would see them getting more chances in 1st teams, but that is a cultural problem. Only Spain, Brazil, & Argentina can match Italy's youth teams imo.

·
Oje vita mia...
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The future definitely looks brighter with new talent than it did a few years back. But to say Italy is even remotely close to potentially the best youth team... I have a hard time digesting that one. But then again its your opinion, and we'll have a few tourneys that will determine whether I am right or wrong.
The Toulon tourney was a good run with mostly reserves, the depth is there for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts