Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will we do of Saviola and Riquelme come back loans ??

it is a problem that we can talk after Albertini and Lopez signings.

What our argentinan loaned players, Saviola and Riquelme playing in AS Monaco and Villareal will do next year ?

1st option they will come back and we'll have a great team, Saviola will have spanish citizenship and Riquelme will be non UE player. That is the problem because we have Ronaldinho, Marquez and Eto'o at the moment

2nd option Barça to have cash will sell them after great seasons they are making each other. I'm disappointed for Saviola after so many efforts he did. :depress:

At final we are the same as real, we lose some players too. I just hope that no ones will sign for real

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
I'd keep Saviola. Long term, a front line selection of Saviola, Eto'o and Lopez if he comes would be pretty sweet for several years. Short term, he can alternate with Giuly as well as Eto'o.

Riquelme...there would be no point really. Either he would have to alter several things about his style to fit in our current team, or Rijkaard would need to change the style of the formations to suit him, and neither will happen. And we can't bring him back for him to sit on the bench.

It's better for everyone concerned if we just move him on.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
Sell both of them to England or Italy. Maybe even swap them for other players (wingers, class CB).

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Barcawinner said:
Sell both of them to England or Italy. Maybe even swap them for other players (wingers, class CB).
yep, that would be the best option for us imo. We could consider keeping Riquelme as a backup for Xavi or Deco but i doubt if he is that type of player and if he would accept a role on the bench.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Riquelme will leave for sure, because he doesn't have EU passport and we don't have a place for him. I don't know what will happen with Saviola, but his season is far from being impressive in France.

·
In Pep, We Trust!
6,149 Posts
I would sell Riquelme to Villareal it seems that they love the guy this season, he is unstoppable with + forlan is doing amazingly beacuse of him. They might be able to fight for a place in the UEFA Cup this season if not the CL spot. Concerning Saviola I would send him to a team for another loan spell probably to a spanish team. I wouldn't like to see both of them leave, well let's wait and see what King Frank has in mind...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, here's my scenario. :)

Carlos Bianchi takes over Deportivo (there was such a rumour). We swap Riquelme, who unfortunately won't have EU passport, for Alberto Luque, because Bianchi wants to work with Romy again. Of course I remember they have Valeron at similiar position, but he'll find a place to live. :)

As for Saviola, I have no clue. Maybe he'll want to come back to Barça but we will exchange him for one of Roma's central defenders :pp

Anyways, even though I'd like to see them in Blaugrana colours again, I hardly see it coming. Probably the board will sustain their statements that those two are 'not being considered as a part of the project'.

·
The Ties That Bind
16,234 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I don't know what will happen with Saviola, but his season is far from being impressive in France.
Have you been watching him? I've only seen bits, but he seems to be doing well enough.

Competition Team Apps G
Ligue 1 Monaco 13(0) 5
UEFA CL Monaco 5(0) 4

Not bad at all, especially the CL goals. From what I've seen, he's not even utilized in a central striking sort of position.

I'm hitting the hay so maybe I'll say more tomorrow, but both Riquelme and Saviola would work in our side. There are a lot of factors to be considered and I have the feeling we'll never see them in our shirt again, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't keep them. At the end of the day it's better for the players themselves to leave (though not necessarily better for the club).

·
40,147 Posts
Only 5 goals in Ligue 1... Eto'o is closing him the door of the Camp Nou. Considering the huge salary of the player, the tastes of Rijkaard and Eto'o's goal ratio, I see Saviola far from Barcelona. Knowing our financial situation, I think that the club will try to sell Saviola, before his contracts ends in 2006. They'll try to save the money of his salary and get some money from a transfer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The problem with barca fans that they are not realistic , in other words ; so far barca did not win any thing this season, but every body here talks about the system of FR as barca won every thing so first of all you can not judge whether FR system is working or not . second thing the good coach is the one that create a system to fit his team and players he has at his disposal. third thing riquelme proved that he is one of the best playmakers in the world ( if not the best ), so to ignore a player like him because he doesnot fit in the system is very stupid decision. also you donot have to build the team around him to get the best out of riquelme , what you need is to play him in your starting line-up as a playmaker.
if you watch the following matches he played with argentina you can understand what I mean because in these matches the team did not build around him as argentina had other 9 excellent players but he was more than excellent
ARGENTINA- Uruguay
ARGENTINA- Venzuala
ARGENTINA- Japan ( friendly when Bielsa was the coach )
he scored 8 goals so far in the league the leader in the assistance ( withh 11 goals ) played major part in the defeats to barca & valencia
in short he is better than any barca player and I will be very happy if he does not come back to barca because you donot deserve him .
as for Saviola in the second part of last season when he played as regular he scored the same number og goals your Etoo scored till now with no penalties but with more assistant to his team mates.also go and see his goal against olympiakos in champions league where he dribbled past 5 defenders and scored a great goal in which Etoo will dream in scoring such goal .
see you when you will see real madrid is the champion of laliga , chelsi is in quarter 8 in champions league, vellareal in 4th spot in laliga, riqueme is the best player in the end of this season.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
u are very "pro-argentina" - your points arent very realistic...
Look @ my name, i love saviola very much but etoo fits much better in the system fr uses....look what etoo is doing for our defense - he is helping them alot by pressing all the game...

Riquelme is also a great player and could fit in every team around the world but not in THIS Barca...this barca is build on hardworking midfielder, the only one who isnt doing much in defense is ronaldinho...even etoo and of course giuly are doing a lot of hard work...

Deco,Xavi and Marquez are the ones who to the dirty wirk and deco and xavi are far better in doing this work than romy...riquelme CANT DEFEND, he CANT DO DIRTY WIRK but he is brilliant as playmaker...his passes are genial but he has no place in this barca...

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
teves said:
The problem with barca fans that they are not realistic , in other words ; so far barca did not win any thing this season, but every body here talks about the system of FR as barca won every thing so first of all you can not judge whether FR system is working or not . second thing the good coach is the one that create a system to fit his team and players he has at his disposal. third thing riquelme proved that he is one of the best playmakers in the world ( if not the best ), so to ignore a player like him because he doesnot fit in the system is very stupid decision. also you donot have to build the team around him to get the best out of riquelme , what you need is to play him in your starting line-up as a playmaker.
if you watch the following matches he played with argentina you can understand what I mean because in these matches the team did not build around him as argentina had other 9 excellent players but he was more than excellent
ARGENTINA- Uruguay
ARGENTINA- Venzuala
he scored 8 goals so far in the league the leader in the assistance ( withh 11 goals ) played major part in the defeats to barca & valencia
in short he is better than any barca player and I will be very happy if he does not come back to barca because you donot deserve him .
as for Saviola in the second part of last season when he played as regular he scored the same number og goals your Etoo scored till now with no penalties but with more assistant to his team mates.also go and see his goal against olympiakos in champions league where he dribbled past 5 defenders and scored a great goal in which Etoo will dream in scoring such goal .
see you when you will see real madrid is the champion of laliga , chelsi is in quarter 8 in champions league, vellareal in 4th spot in laliga, riqueme is the best player in the end of this season.
A touch on the anti-Barca side there, champ.

Firstly, I wouldn't drop Ronaldinho for TEN Riquelmes. He ISN'T better than all of our players, the very idea is laughable.

Secondly, Rijkaard's "unproven" system has turned around an ailing club, given results AND stylish football, in the true Barcelona way, back to the fans, and in half a season we look like potential trophy winners again AND we have large chunks of Europe gushing over our football. I think that pretty much says it all. He has proven that he knows what he is doing.

Thirdly, we WOULD have to alter the team line-up to fit Riquelme in.

There are 10 outfield players. We can discount the 4 defenders.

We can also discount Eto'o, since Riquelme isn't a forward. We can discount Marquez, because Riquelme isn't a DM. No-one is going to drop Giuly or Ronaldinho to play Riquelme, because he does his stuff centrally, and he doesn't have the pace or movement required to play in a wider midfield position. Riquelme, to get the best from him, has to be placed in an advanced central midfield position where his passing has the maximum effect. BUT we don't have a midfielder in that position, we have Xavi and Deco in a deeper position. You can say that Riquelme is "better" than either of those two, and you might be right. But they are already a good partnership, and they are expected to track back and defend as well as spring attacks. Riquelme will never match the defensive output of these two, and for that reason he couldn't play where they play.

Thus the only logical conclusion is that, in this CURRENT formation and style we use, there is no place to play Riquelme where he would be useful. I can't see why this is so hard for people to understand, sometimes player and team just don't match,

And Eto'o HAS scored goals like the one you described. And given that he is our, and La Ligas, top scorer I don't think he can be criticised.

·
40,147 Posts
teves said:
The problem with barca fans that they are not realistic , in other words ; so far barca did not win any thing this season, but every body here talks about the system of FR as barca won every thing so first of all you can not judge whether FR system is working or not.
Very true, but if we don't win La Liga, it won't be because Rijkaard is a bad coach, but because our squad is very limited. The amount of ligament injuries has been exceptional. The team is working fine, in defense and in attack. I've never enjoyed so much watching Barça since Cruyff. For me, one thing is for sure. If we don't need La Liga, I won't blame Rijkaard.

I criticize him in the past because I think that he was doing bad and now I'll defend him because he's doing great.

second thing the good coach is the one that create a system to fit his team and players he has at his disposal.
And that's what he did. The club forced him last year to play with a 4-2-3-1 with 2 wings and he finally decided to play a 4-3-3 with false wings. All this to find the best place for everyone. Now, should he change it just to find a place for Riquelme? Should we "touch" something that's working fine since Jan 2004?

third thing riquelme proved that he is one of the best playmakers in the world ( if not the best ), so to ignore a player like him because he doesnot fit in the system is very stupid decision. also you donot have to build the team around him to get the best out of riquelme , what you need is to play him in your starting line-up as a playmaker.
Again the same question. We don't have a "10", as Villarreal, should we change everything to find a place for Riquelme?

ARGENTINA- Uruguay
ARGENTINA- Venzuala
Ok

as for Saviola in the second part of last season when he played as regular he scored the same number og goals your Etoo scored till now with no penalties but with more assistant to his team mates.
That's false.

Saviola in Barcelona
2001/02 - 17 goals in 36 matches
2002/03 - 13 goals in 36 matches
2003/04 - 14 goals in 33 matches

Eto'o in Barcelona
2004/05 - 15 goals in 20 matches (only 2 PKs and you have to score them anyway) and 2 assists

also go and see his goal against olympiakos in champions league where he dribbled past 5 defenders and scored a great goal in which Etoo will dream in scoring such goal .
Have you ever seen Eto'o mate? Answer: NO. I know what Saviola is able to do, he's a great player, but do not try to make Saviola better saying that Eto'o will never dream to score a goal like this.

Several ones:
Last year in the Bernabeu, he took the ball in the midfield, he dribbled 5 Madrid players to score from out of the box an amazing goal.

Second, the final of the Copa del Rey against Recre. He forced the PK of the 1-0, he scored the 2nd and I guess that everyone who likes Spanish football will never forget the 3rd goal... he took the ball in the midfield, it was a counter attack, until he faced 2 defenders out of the box, he did like if he was going to go to the left, he faked a shot and suddenly he dribbled them changing the direction of the box to shot with his right leg... and goal. 3-0, 1st title for Mallorca, 2 goals and a PK provoked... all this after, playing the final of the Confederation Cup in Paris against France. So he played 2 finals in 24h, he lost with Cameroon, but he played with Mallorca to dedicate a title to Foe.

Third, the day of the 1-5 in the Bernabeu. He humiliated the whole defense of Madrid, especially Roberto Carlos to score an unforgettable goal. He was in the box, surrounded by Madrid players. He stopped, he looked to the midfielders, he faked a pass for them and he changed the direction of his body facing Casillas in a fast gesture... Roberto Carlos only saw it on TV after the match.

And these are 3 examples of what Eto'o is able to do... and there are more. If you want, go to the Valencia forum or even the Real Madrid forum and ask them what they think about Eto'o and compare him with Saviola if you want. Saviola is good, but you can not say that Eto'o is worse than Saviola because it is false.

Rea Madrid champion of La Liga? Ok... see you in 2008 :pp It's a possibility.
Chelsea in 1/4 final... it's a possibility too, as Mourinho says: "If Barça lose, nothing happens, we would have lost against Chelsea. If Chelsea lose, nothing happens, they would have lost against Barça".
Villarreal 4th... good for them.
Riquelme, the best player of La Liga... congratulations, I'd be happy for him. No one hates him here... as long as we win the title, I don't care if Riquelme is the MVP and Ronaldo the "pichichi".

·
Registered
23 Posts
Saviola in Barcelona

Eto'o in Barcelona
2004/05 - 15 goals in 20 matches (only 2 PKs and you have to score them anyway) and 2 assists
how many matches he was a regular, I am speaking on the second part of last season when Saviola became a regular. I think he scored 13 goals from second part onwards without any penalty .
Firstly, I wouldn't drop Ronaldinho for TEN Riquelmes. He ISN'T better than all of our players, the very idea is laughable
as for riqulme he is far better than ronaldino, if you want to be sure of that compare between their form this year, what they achieved so far on the club level ( boca vs gremio and PSG vs vellareal ) but do not include barca for riqulme as he was not given a fair time and a fair treatment to prove himself. for world cup ronaldino was not a key figure for brazil. put ronaldino in vellareal team instead of riquelme and you will see what they will do ( they may get relegated ). go and see riqelme performance against barca last year and this year , against rael madrid this year and in 2000 in Japan , against palmiras in the final of libertadores, against river plate ( 3-0 ) in 2000, and agaisnt valencia last week.
I will not exaggerate if I say he is the best in the world right now and the best playmaker along with Zidane in the post Maradona era ( remember that barca did not want Maradona and sold him to napoli in 1984 )
believe me i can see the history will repeate itself and the same will happen with him as with Maradona vellareal next season if he stays will be within the best 3 teams if not winning laliga or at least uefa cup and Argentina will be at least 2006 finalist thanks to the majic of riqelme

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
here we go again, talking about Riquelme & Saviola future with Barca!?

I'd say we could use Saviola, for one season, or even renew his contract and sell him, whatever the board and coach see out of it, we could use the money to buy a good striker such as "Crespo, Van Nestelroy, Makaay, Santa Cruz" such tall strikers is what Barca need in the coming season, and I'd like to see Crespo in Barcelona, he'll fit in our system so good.

talking about Eto'o isn't good really, I loved this player since he played football and I knew him, he is what any team needs, "Fast, Skillful, plays from his heart for the team, and surely he scores great goals" I can't add to what Koeman4 said, it was a great profile about Eto'o goals, I can just add if you didn't see the last Barca 3-0 real "shit" madrid, Teves, I think you'll need to see it, see what Eto'o did to Madrid defenders and midfielders, took the ball from Barca half, and pass 3 players befor getting a PK for Barca, that Ronaldinho scored.

I like Saviola, and I wouldn't like To see him in another team, but Riquelme, is very slow, he never defendes, and he can't play in a wide roll at all, the only thing Barca can do with Riquelme if they took him back, forgoten about EU Passport, I'd say he'll be a sub for Ronaldinho or Deco, for copa del rey, or even for games we would be 2 or 3 goals up, and need to slow the rethem of the game.

don't cross line man, Rijkaard made a winning team out of nothing, he tried for 6 monthes every system, untill he made a winning team, that is leading La Liga with 7 points clear, even playing with 13 player most of the season.

Visca el Barca

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
If Riquelme gets his EU-passport and agrees to re-negotiate his wage, I want him back. If he doesn't get a passport, and keeps his high wage, I think our board will let him go for a small fee, even though he has arguably been the best player in La Liga so far this season. Riquelme being slow is pure BS. We don't hear people saying that Xavi is slow...Riquelme, like Xavi, has BRAINS, fast as hell! That's what's matter for a player in his position.

I think Saviola would be surplus next season (like Sergio Garcia), now that we have gotten Maxi Lopez. Larsson would also be back. Saviola can't play on the wing, he was used as that without success by Van Gaal. And Saviola is a 7 and doesn't fit as a 9 really...He's doing great in Monaco from what I've seen, also scoring more goals than even Chevanton. Saviola has a contract until 2007, so we should be able to get at least some money (to use on a CD) from that transfer in the summer, although only a fraction of the staggering 36m euros we paid for him some years back...

·
Registered
7,880 Posts
teves said:
Saviola in Barcelona

Eto'o in Barcelona

as for riqulme he is far better than ronaldino, if you want to be sure of that compare between their form this year, what they achieved so far on the club level ( boca vs gremio and PSG vs vellareal ) but do not include barca for riqulme as he was not given a fair time and a fair treatment to prove himself. for world cup ronaldino was not a key figure for brazil. put ronaldino in vellareal team instead of riquelme and you will see what they will do ( they may get relegated ). go and see riqelme performance against barca last year and this year , against rael madrid this year and in 2000 in Japan , against palmiras in the final of libertadores, against river plate ( 3-0 ) in 2000, and agaisnt valencia last week.
I will not exaggerate if I say he is the best in the world right now and the best playmaker along with Zidane in the post Maradona era ( remember that barca did not want Maradona and sold him to napoli in 1984 )
believe me i can see the history will repeate itself and the same will happen with him as with Maradona vellareal next season if he stays will be within the best 3 teams if not winning laliga or at least uefa cup and Argentina will be at least 2006 finalist thanks to the majic of riqelme
Dear god Mateo, what have we opened :wallbang:

As far as my take on both of these. Firstly I cant see the sense in comparing Ronaldinho to Riquelme, too talented plays how have entirely different styles. I think there both great and though I prefere personally the style of play and passing excellence of Riquelme I would never rate him higher. I think that both styles, if anything compliment eachother so well that it is a huge missed opportunity to not play them together.

I wouldnt hesitate to bring him back. He qualifies to be commutarium, if someone like Nihat can get it in 5 minutes then Roman, a man with historical ties should have no problem. Remember this is spain and we have money :smileani:

The way hes playing in Villareal is not so different to how he would play here. He was tieed slightly to the left against Valencia and was a maestro. The biggest misconception, as Fargo says is that he cannot run and is slow. With players like Etoo, Ronaldinho, Giuly in front of him all he needs is to let the ball do the running, plus if you watched him in Villareal he is tracking back, the majority of the time not tackling but pressurising the other team into conceding possession. He would play where Xavi is and while Xavi has been good Riquelme would simply be superior (enter controversy) and I wouldnt hesitate to replace Xavi (and yes I am catalan).

As for Saviola, his numbers are reminiscent of Etoo but he does much less for the defensive side of the team. I see less possibilities of him returning and actually fell hes a tad overrated. He doesnt really excel in any area moreso than Etoo although his goalscoring record should atleast have warranted his return before looking at Maxi, regardless of stature. What good is it to have a big player who cant score. I dont want to see him brought to rotate with Giuly either. That for me, is the gap for Messi to go into and be a Ronnie MKII on the right. Can you imagine having the following Argie/Brazilian attacking split with the great African upfront.

------Riquelme--------------Deco-------------

------------Messi--------Ronnie--------------
-----------------Etoo------------------------

1 - 20 of 125 Posts