Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's no secret we suffer from lack of depth. And we have very little money. And certain starters are expected to leave the club this season. So what could ever be done to improve our thin but heroic bench? We can't go on expecting our scorers and captain and others won't get injured next year.
There are many aspects to this thread:
> Should we keep some of the players we have on our bench now? Tommasi, DeRossi, Carew, Delvecchio, Montella, Dellas, etc.
Well, I think it depends on wages. But we need as many players as we can get.
> Can we lure other players here to our bench when we have a poor record of paying our players recently? That's going to be difficult.
> Who are the type of players we should get for backup support? Toni, Fava, Carriocola? Corvia? Wahab?
Baldini indicated the other day that Roma youth prospects would get a great deal more responsibility in the future. Still, it wouldn't be bad to bring a few prospects from around the league to Roma. We need a good scout, kinda like the one Udinese now has.;)
> With Emerson and Samuel possibly leaving, that further gobbles up our bench because DeRossi/Tommasi will likely start if we get no one else. Makes you wonder - how many players should we have on the bench? Again, it comes down to our money and financial strength.
Mentality and Depth are reoccurring issues for Roma. Could we ever solve the latter in the offseason, which figures to be difficult. In short, what is the future of the AS Roma bench?
:confused:

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Good idea for a topic and important seeing as we intend to be fighting in the CL and the Serie A next season.

Depth wise, the defence is undoubtedly our weakest area. All we have is Panucci, Chivu, Samuel, Zebina, Dellas, 5 defenders for a team who is playing 4 at the back. Considering Zebinas imminent departure and Samuel possibly leaving that leaves us with 3 defenders. It was stupid to let Cufre and Sartor in particular go this season. As far as i know we don't have any great youth players breaking in defensively speaking so we should sign one or two in the summer, if Samuel goes one should be of Mexes/Burdisso calibre and we should bring back Bovo and Cufre.

In midfield i think we are alright, the fact that players like Tommasi and De Rossi are being forced to sit on the bench is testament to that. With Emerson going i think we should sign one of Renato or Davids to be starters in his place. We should bring back Aquilani to at least sit on the bench and give him some playing time. Lima is going as well i believe, do we have youth good enough to come as back up to D'Agostino?

I'd keep Montella personally, i think if we let him go and he re-gains his fitness that we'll be cursing ourselves because he can be great again. Obviously if his wages are too big an issue he should go. Like you say, Toni would be great and better yet he's rarely injured so if we just signed him with the intention of starting Montella we would be fine upfront. We'll have Corvia on the bench as well anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The goal must be to have a squad similar in strength to that of Milan, with practically two first teams at their desposal. But unfortunately with a team such as Roma, there is not the history, prestige or regular success to attract numerous players of the highest quality (or funds for that matter :depress: ) or, and more notably I think, to maintain a harmonious atmosphere when some of the 'stars' don't get to play. For instance, some months back I read that Abbiati wanted to extended his contract even though it was quite clear that Dida was numero uno 'keeper. I think you have to have some sort of guarantee of success to be deserving of players being happy with their place.

So for us, that leaves youth as the only option whereby our bench can contain significant talent; we all know that a young player on the bench is less likely to complain as they see it as a stepping stone in their career. I don't know too much about who we have rising through the ranks (other than those who we've already seen) but I imagine that whatever transfer funds we have will be dedicated to reinforcing our front line and replacing any deserters this summer. I just don't see us reaching the holy grail of a squad with true depth.... not just yet anyway.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I think we must bring back Aquilani for at least the bench, maybe even a starter on occasions. Aquilani and Tommasi as our back ups or De Rossi... is not bad for the centre midfield. D'Agostino, Montella/Delvecchio and Corvia as our back up striker/attacking mids. Then Ze Maria and Taddei on free to be back up on the wings possibly?

Here is my squad of next year, you've seen it before but some alterations:

Pelizzoli, Lupatelli, Curci (Primavera number 1)

Samuel/Burdisso, Dellas, Chivu, Panucci, Bovo (if possible, if not then Muller), Ferronetti

Mancini, Ze Maria, Taddei, Chiellini (if possible?)

De Rossi, Tommasi, Aquilani, Dacourt - if a big name is needed then Renato or Davids if possible.

Totti, D'Agostino

Morientes, Cassano, Montella/Delvecchio, Corvia

I thinkt he back ups are good enough there but of course this may not be possible.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts