Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
I dont think it is he leaped for the ball and keepers get away with it all the time...aguero punched shwein ffs

·
Administrator
30,467 Posts
Neuer reached for the ball. One could argue that his action still wrong, because to reach the ball he had to be in move that would hit the adversary. But one could easily say higuain was also responsable for it.

But for sure, it was not a foul from Higuain.

·
Honourable Mention, October 2011 Photo Contest
18,041 Posts
Of course It wasn't a foul by Higuain, but as much it was a dangerous play by Neuer, whom BTW could not be blamed if that ended in a penalty because he was fecking doing the job of a libero his mates weren't do it...he clearly went for the ball but with too much power and in a reckless way, I guess he was pissed off with his mates..

The only clear over the top fouls were some from Masche and that
Höwedes yellow that was a straight red..BUT I can understand that it was so out of place regarding the game and in such an early stage of the it that I get that the ref felt that it was going to feel as too much to sent him out

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Neuer reached for the ball. One could argue that his action still wrong, because to reach the ball he had to be in move that would hit the adversary. But one could easily say higuain was also responsable for it.

But for sure, it was not a foul from Higuain.
Spot on.

·
Administrator
30,467 Posts
Of course It wasn't a foul by Higuain, but as much it was a dangerous play by Neuer, whom BTW could not be blamed if that ended in a penalty because he was fecking doing the job of a libero his mates weren't do it...he clearly went for the ball but with too much power and in a reckless way, I guess he was pissed off with his mates..
Well, there is a german goalkeeping school about those high knees and all :D

(I think if a player tried to head the ball over an adversary, outside the area, the foul would be called and no one would find strange, however, Higuain reaction was so slow to go for the ball that gives the impression it was more Neur's ball than his)

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
It was more like an attempt, followed by a collision with a train.

·
18,041 Posts
Well, there is a german goalkeeping school about those high knees and all
well that's then only way a keeper can protect themselves since ever...

what was unnecessary was the speed/power that he used and that he ended fouling Higuain, but being the ref? that is way of hard call to make, I think he did right to not call a foul from Neuer because if not it was going to be a penalty but instead I think that he made a silly thing in calling an Higuain foul...like if the lad needed some xtra burden

·
Administrator
30,467 Posts
Well, that was the true weird call, first time someeone fouls someone hitting his face on someone knee

·
Registered
398 Posts
it could be conceived as undercutting but in my opinion it wasn't a foul - from both ends.

neuer HAS to have priority in those challenges - it was safety first and the raised knee wasn't malicious but an act of protection (that all keepers use). it should have gone out and been a thrown in - no foul committed.

also in the slow mo you can see that what he did was fine - the real time looked worse but i don't think the collision was as bad as it seemed. 100% NOT a foul on neuer and baffles me why people thought it was

·
18,041 Posts
it could be conceived as undercutting but in my opinion it wasn't a foul - from both ends.

neuer HAS to have priority in those challenges - it was safety first and the raised knee wasn't malicious but an act of protection (that all keepers use). it should have gone out and been a thrown in - no foul committed.

also in the slow mo you can see that what he did was fine - the real time looked worse but i don't think the collision was as bad as it seemed. 100% NOT a foul on neuer and baffles me why people thought it was
side note, slow motion is the most useless shyte ever invented regarding calling a foul...

keepers have priority in the little area, not in the border of the larger one....Neuer did fine since his defenders were having a nap, but he was reckless non the less, not because of an intention of fouling Higuain, but because of running over him...he used an excessive force... the knee thing is a typical protection keepers do, is non written rule but mostly to is a lot more forgiven in the little area because there like you said he had the priority and cannot be molested.

·
*the drum drum*
42,857 Posts
A goalkeeper leading in with a knee needs to become something that is punished, not overlooked.

In the context of this match and current regulations - no foul, should have commenced with an Argentina throw-in and not a Germany free-kick.

But going forward, if a player can't go in for a header by smacking their knee into a goalkeepers chest, a goalkeeper shouldn't be allowed to do the same when punching or catching the ball.

It's one oversight that annoys me.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I'm not sure how Higuain could be called for a foul in that situation, really. One of the most bizarre decisions in recent memory that I can recall.

Goalkeepers are an over-protected species, this was always well established. From these type of incidents to crosses where players should be entitled to go for, they always get the benefit of doubt in most situations which they should usually get to be fair but not as much as they do, really.

·
*the drum drum*
42,857 Posts
I don't mind that they're a protected species, they are also a heavily targeted one so it balances out.

But allowing goalkeepers to do absurd things to protect themselves is taking it too far.

Footballers aren't allowed to use their arms for any sort of leverage if it comes into contact with another footballer, so why goalkeepers can virtually punch and knee opponents in any which way they want so long as either of their hands makes contact with the ball, is simply absurd.

·
Registered
17,088 Posts
A goalkeeper leading in with a knee needs to become something that is punished, not overlooked.

In the context of this match and current regulations - no foul, should have commenced with an Argentina throw-in and not a Germany free-kick.

But going forward, if a player can't go in for a header by smacking their knee into a goalkeepers chest, a goalkeeper shouldn't be allowed to do the same when punching or catching the ball.

It's one oversight that annoys me.
I don't mind that they're a protected species, they are also a heavily targeted one so it balances out.

But allowing goalkeepers to do absurd things to protect themselves is taking it too far.

Footballers aren't allowed to use their arms for any sort of leverage if it comes into contact with another footballer, so why goalkeepers can virtually punch and knee opponents in any which way they want so long as either of their hands makes contact with the ball, is simply absurd.

:thumbsup:

·
Rookie of the Year 2007
10,003 Posts
That was a red card offense.

Can't believe that Higauin got a yellow card for being flattened out :howler:

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Should've been an indirect freekick and a yellow for dangerous play (at the latest). No reason whatsoever for Neuer's knee to be that high.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
The knee was accidental and irrelevant in the incident. Anyone who thinks it was a foul for Higuain should start watching a different sport as they are absolutely clueless. Nothing illegal in that challenge whatsoever.

Wasn't a foul for neuer either though, should have a throw-in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts