Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the world who do you think are the best 5 central midfielders are, that both have, defensive and attacking qualities and can control a game

Opinions???

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Patrick Vieira. Does both and has done for years now - and, no, that wasn't posted as a biased Gooner either.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think that you have to be great at attacking or defending. In a team you have to heva specialized players like Gattuso for example who is a fighter and not very good at attacking.
But when you look at defensive and offensive qualities players like NEDVED, VIEIRA, BALLACK or GERRARD crosses my ming.

Sorry I have got only 4 :confused:

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Vieira
Gerrard
Fabregas
Flamini
Gilberto

i used to think Edu was one of them but he looks like he is going to La Liga so now he's pony :yuck:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
You have to make a distinguish between defencive midfielders, attacking midfielders, deep playing play-makers and two-way midfielders. So I'll give 5 of each. ;)

Defencive midfielders: Vieira, Gattuso, Mauro Silva, Makelele, Zagorakis
Attacking midfielders: Nedved, Totti, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Deco
Two way: Ballack, Gerrard, Lampard, Maniche, Emerson
Deep play-makers: Pirlo, Xavi, Xabi Alonso and few more...

I probably forget a whole bunch of players.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Hasuni said:
How can you guys forgett Lampard?
Shirks it too often against physically superior opponents like Keane, Vieira and Gerrard. He's never once dominated Vieira and has only ever looked good against Arsenal once ... when we had FabFlam playing.

I don't consider him defensive.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Rubbish, Lampard is absolute class. Along with Gerrard and Xavi, they're the best centre midfielders in the world.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Freddy Adu said:
Rubbish, Lampard is absolute class. Along with Gerrard and Xavi, they're the best centre midfielders in the world.
He's never beaten Vieira once. Not ONCE has ever got the better of Vieira. Not ONCE in how many attempts at it last season? Watch Gerrard take him to the cleaners on Saturday. What was Lampard doing against us at Stamford Bridge? Doing about as much Roman was in his skybox.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I'm not saying you're right. But what you're saying is that you have to beat the 'almighty' Vieira before you can be classed as one of the best?

:dielaugh:

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Freddy Adu said:
I'm not saying you're right. But what you're saying is that you have to beat the 'almighty' Vieira before you can be classed as one of the best?
No. I'm saying that if Lampard was as good as people think he is (which he isn't; he's overrated), he'd have beaten Vieira or Keane at least once in his career, especially considering he had about half a dozen attempts against Vieira last season alone. He hasn't done that (yet), and he shirks it against players like that. He bossed against Flamini and Fabregas, but you'd expect him to.

Mark my words when we go to Stamford Bridge, and if Vieira is playing, Lampard will be made to look like the overrated donkey he is ... again.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Khimik, this is football we're talking about, not boxing. An individual duel between two players, and how obscure is that in a football game, means nothing.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Lampard
Viera
Gerrard
Xavi
Pirlo

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Best is Gerrard
Followed by Xavi and Lampard
and then somewhere after, Alonso, Maniche and Vieira (He aint as good as he was imo)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Gerrard and Emerson strongest IMHO

1 - 20 of 88 Posts