Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Champions League
1st qualifying round, 1st leg

Tampere United - FC Pyunik Jerevan (Armenia)

If Tampere Utd. advance to the next round they face Dynamo Kiev (Ukraine) in the 2nd qualifying round.

UEFA Cup
1st qualifying round, 1st leg

MyPa - OB (Denmark)

Gomel (Belarus) - HJK Helsinki

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Both Lee Jones & Noah Hickey will be out of the Tampere Utd. squad for the matches against FC Pyunik Jerevan as they are on international duty for New Zealand's national squad.

This is bad news for Tampere Utd. who will surely miss two of their best players.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
Tough one for Tampere Utd., if they qualifiy for the 2nd round of course. Dinamo Kiev will then be more than a hand full.

I don't know much about Gomel, but they seem quite easy. What do you think of HJK's chances?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HJK has always been a very good team in Europe ('98 UCL, victory over Red Star Belgrade, Celtic) and I think Gomel will be quite an easy opponent for HJK although they are top of the Belarussian league table.

But this season our coach is Keith Armstrong who moved to HJK from FC Haka where he coached last season.

You may remembered that FC Haka got stuffed by Liverpool in the third round of the UCL qualifiers last year.

Teams managed by Armstrong have never been successful in Europe unfortunately let's hope HJK will be an exeception this year.

I think MyPa will be a very hard team for Odense BK to beat because MyPa is playing well in the Finnish league and OB ended up sixth in the SAS league and they are still on holiday mode.
:D

But MyPa hasn't impressed much in Europe over the years and I think OB may have a good chance of going through to the second round. I think this match-up will be very close fought. My favourite to win is naturally MyPa.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
lionheart said:

I think MyPa will be a very hard team for Odense BK to beat because MyPa is playing well in the Finnish league and OB ended up sixth in the SAS league and they are still on holiday mode.
:D

But MyPa hasn't impressed much in Europe over the years and I think OB may have a good chance of going through to the second round. I think this match-up will be very close fought. My favourite to win is naturally MyPa.
I'm also on MyPa. OB sucks (sorry Ane:D). The fact that MyPa is in the middle of the national leauge in Finland will be very decisive. We've seen in many times before with the Eastern European teams in the CL. Before the winter break they're playing good, but after the break they suck. The CL starts rather early compared to the Eastern leauges.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MyPa are the clear favourites in this match but OB can surprise them.

MyPa played against Helsingborg IF in last year's UEFA Cup 1st round.

MyPa lost away 2-1 after a late goal from Hans Eklund. MyPa controlled most of the game & went 1-0 up.

MyPa played very badly at home and lost 3-1.

So it is possible that OB can go through but I doubt they will.

·
Registered
6,496 Posts
lionheart said:
MyPa are the clear favourites in this match but OB can surprise them.
Well I don't think they're clear favs to win. OB isn't as bad as you might think (and what I said about them being poor wasn't very objective :D). OB had a great spring in the Danish SAS Liga and if they can keep that going in the new season and in Europe I think they'll be more than a hand full for MyPa. But the fact that OB, when they meet, haven't played much competition footy will definitely in MyPa's favour. A fact they might win on.

I predict two very even matches, where both teams has good chances of going through.

Now that's objective :)!

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
lionheart said:
Both Lee Jones & Noah Hickey will be out of the Tampere Utd. squad for the matches against FC Pyunik Jerevan as they are on international duty for New Zealand's national squad.

This is bad news for Tampere Utd. who will surely miss two of their best players.
Yes but New Zealand will probably never have a better chance to beat us :nervous: :D

Our (i.e the Australian football federation....Soccer Australia) is broke after years of mis-management and can't afford to pay the players and nearly all the european pro's will not play for us against NZ and the island countries (moeny not being the only reason with some players preferring to holiday etc...). So whereas NZ will have a full squad to choose from,nearly all of our squad will be made up of national league players.

Still i thought Tampere would have valued the UCL matches very highly and would have tried to hold onto the players (unless they think the Armenian team are a walkover :stuckup:). I know they are not a big european club but Lillestrom are not either and they kicked up a kufuffle over releasing Clayton Zane (now with Anderlecht) for the WC qualifiers against NZ

·
Registered
13 Posts
:mad: :mad: :mad: Yeah, maybe the clubs would prefer to keep their players but if the national federations request them for international matches then they have no choice but to release them unless they are injured. An example of this was when the French insisted on playing a meaningless friendly against Australia.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
unitedfan said:
: An example of this was when the French insisted on playing a meaningless friendly against Australia.
Please don't even start me on that :fero:. The game might have been meaningless to you but it was important for our NT, even if they didn't progress :finger:. The whole idea was for our NT to get preparation games against a high quality opponent before the Uruguay games but in heinsight it probably showed that France were on the decline

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, Tampere United managed to make complete fools of themselves on the pitch. First they managed to somehow loose their home leg against their Armenian opponents, Pjunik Jerevan 4-0 and then they went on to loose 2-0 away.

After that Tampere Utd. fell out of the Finnish Cup after loosing to HJK Helsinki's A-Juniors.

Tampere received a lot of critique after these two almost humiliating defeats.

FC Haka had a fantastic run in the Inter Toto Cup they managed to defeat Yugoslavian side, FK OBilic and after that they managed a 0-0 draw to FC Fulham at Craven Cottage.

FC Haka however fell out of the last rounds of the Intertoto Cup after a 1-1 draw at the Tehtaan Kenttä. FC Fulham went on to the next rounds on away goals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts