Which final you would prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it's cool that all the 4 options for the final are interesting and potentially classic encounters:

Brazil vs Holland - would be quite fun to see, 2 attack-minded teams although Brazil would be a clear favourite as this Dutch team is not that strong. Most likely this would provide the most open and high-tempo game of all 4 variants. A fair amount of recent World Cup history between those teams as well, Brazil kicking out the Dutch in 1994 and 1998 and Holland making a short work of Brazzies 4 years ago.

Brazil vs Argentina - those teams have never met in a WC final before (or in fact in a proper knockout other than 2nd round)...without doubt a huge game where Brazil has a similar pressure if not more as in 1950 final. If Messi should deliver in such a match he could rise past Maradona in an instant in Argie eyes. For Brazil a defeat here would be absolutely unacceptable and end their home tournament in a shame.

Germany vs Holland - I would prefer this as I'm an euro supporter :lala: much like the previous scenario, this also includes 2 biggest rivals and tempers could be flaring. The Dutch might have a great opportunity to finally exorcise the ghosts of 1974. But yet again it seems this Germany would be too much for them.

Germany vs Argentina - the worst option out of the four IMO and the least likely to provide a great display: expect a cautious and tactical game. Nevertheless loads of history in this rivalry too: a repeat of 1986 and 1990 final matches, also Germany knocked Argentina out in 2006 and 2010 quarterfinals. For some reason I have a feeling than Germany would take this one as well.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Brazil v Argentina would be the legend final for me and this has never happened before

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
Germany-Holland for sure. Germany controlling the game, Holland on the counter. Classic game.

Germany-Argentina would be a walkover for the germans.

Im not even going to bother thinking about matches including Brazil as they are 90% out.

The concept of a Brazil-Argie final is interesting, but with Neymar out and this argentina being crappy, i really dont think it would be worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
It's Obvious

An all South-Anerican Final in a South American World Cup?

The most intense rivalry in the continent, probably the world, who had never met in a major knock-out tie let alone a World Cup Final?

Brazil against Argentina in a World Cup Final held in Brazil?

This matchup is the stuff of dreams. There is honesty no contest. I will be dreading Argentina-Germany and Holland-Germany as we have seen it all before, and to be honest an all European World Cup Final would be oh, so so boring.

If I can't have Argentina-Brazil, a distant second would be Brazil-Holland. But since both countries do not deserve to win this World Cup on the back of their unconvincing performances, I guess an Argentina win in any Final will do. Messi is due and the Argentinian public is due.

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
Just to add to that post, neither Germany or Holland are interesting teams.

Why anybody other than their own fans would want to see either of them in a final is beyond me.

·
Registered
17,391 Posts
An all South-Anerican Final in a South American World Cup?

The most intense rivalry in the continent, probably the world, who had never met in a major knock-out tie let alone a World Cup Final?

Brazil against Argentina in a World Cup Final held in Brazil?

This matchup is the stuff of dreams. There is honesty no contest. I will be dreading Argentina-Germany and Holland-Germany as we have seen it all before, and to be honest an all European World Cup Final would be oh, so so boring.

If I can't have Argentina-Brazil, a distant second would be Brazil-Holland. But since both countries do not deserve to win this World Cup on the back of their unconvincing performances, I guess an Argentina win in any Final will do. Messi is due and the Argentinian public is due.
I take a very wild guess here and say you would have loved to see the European team of Italy in the final. :howler:

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Argies have been unconvincing too and mainly saved by Messi's magic moments. I also don't see how they are due as they've had unbalanced squads for years now...lots of great attackers but that's it. Which is also why I see them as underdogs both vs Brazil and Germany who have more balanced and better squads.

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Before the tournament it would definitely be Brazil-Argentina but without Aguer, di Maria, Neymar it isn't as appealing. Definitely Germany-Holland now.

Also hoping GER-HOL for a first-time Euro winner in SA.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to add to that post, neither Germany or Holland are interesting teams.

Why anybody other than their own fans would want to see either of them in a final is beyond me.
they've shown exciting football at times...Holland is also a team which mainly hopes for fast breaks and searches very quick solutions in the attack so they are interesting matchup for big teams who want to control the tempo and possession but struggle vs teams who sit back, avoid risks and don't give them space (like Mexico and CRC did for most of the time). Borrowing basketball terminology here: great team in transition but their half-court offense sucks :D

·
CULT OF PERSONALITY
20,989 Posts
Fifa want a Brazil Argentina final and a Brazil win.
this is thread is about your choice, not FIFA.

Anyways Brazil vs ARGENTINA would be epic, actually the occasion will be massive although same cannot be said of the match as both teams have not sparked brightly and with Neymar out, it has a chance to be a stinker.

German-Holland meh, don want an all Euro final. But this contest can turn out be historic, considering the rivalry and history.

Brazil-Holland: this is will be the best match up for a neutral.

German-Argentina: this will be a walkover for Germans.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Germany-Holland

We already had our revenge against Spain.
We hopefully beat Argentina in the semi-finals.
And it would be a dream to beat Germany in the final.

Then all our demons of 1974, 1978 and 2010 are gone! :D

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
I take a very wild guess here and say you would have loved to see the European team of Italy in the final. :howler:
Of course but if Italy were there I would have preferred them to face off against a South American team anytime. All European Finals are frankly boring. If we want to see Germany-Holland in a Final there is always the European Championships.

·
Registered
34,453 Posts
Why do people want to see this weaken Brazil against Argentina? Next thing you know, you want Jo to score the winning goal.

Bra v Arg would have been special if Bra had their regular starting XI to play, but not now, with Neymar out. Germany vs Arg much more interesting. Especially given what Germany did with Arg last wc. Will Messi and co have the last laugh?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts