Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real "didn't need" Ronaldo, says Schuster

April 14, 2009

Former Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster has hit out at his old employers for their pursuit of Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo.

Schuster, who left the club by mutual consent in December just months after winning the league title in his first season, believes Real did not need to sign Ronaldo but the chase of his signature became "a theme for the club".

Real were eventually reported to UEFA and FIFA over their relentless courtship of the Portugal winger, but Schuster insists he was never very interested and was upset that other options were not pursued.

"Look, we asked for three or four players if Cristiano didn't come," he told Spanish newspaper Marca.

"I understood the club would have to pay an extortionate fee to bring that kid, and they made it clear to me that if he came it would be very difficult to get anyone else. Maybe one more, but at a very low price.

"But of course, if he didn't come we could bring someone else in, someone who we really needed.

"The thing is we didn't need Cristiano, that was more a theme the club had going. We knew that with him alone we wouldn't solve other problems because he can't defend nor play on the wing.

"The big surprise was that in the end nobody came."

In fact Rafael van der Vaart was the only signing the club made after Ronaldo and Spain stars David Villa and Santi Cazorla rejected moves to the club.

"They said they had no money. (There was money for Ronaldo) but not for the others," Schuster added.

"I don't know why Villa never came, but I have an idea.

"What I thought was really odd was that we had a meeting in April to talk signings, as is normal, to decide things in good time. But then with all that time nothing was done about anything we spoke about."
lets get one thing straight. schuster was never one to mince words, ever. when he was pissed off he made sure that the dummy he spat was for all the world to see.

and for those thinking who cares hes gone why make a thread, well so is our season. and unless you are able to miraculously wipe out history then we'll always remember this season as one giant failure (as it stands). learn from our wrongs so we dont commit them again and all that.....

the villa part is what gets me the most. i really do wonder what that idea is. in the Marca article he says to ask Mijatovic, then adds "but i have an idea" at the end. i mean many said it, a lot had their own hunches and predictions, and really it was onthe same line of thinking, but if only schuster comes out and tells us.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I don't think this any surprise. We all know that Calderon and Mijatovic put all their eggs into one basket when it came to CR7. This just confirms it. The Villa part is really disgusting though. I've always said it. Why are we always willing to pay unlimited amounts of money for players that are not Spanish, but the Spanish homegrown players like Villa are only worth so much. One of the best if not the best striker in the world at the moment, golden boot winner at the Euro Cup, top European goal scorer of the WC qualifiers iand Calderon didn't have enough money. What a moron.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this any surprise. We all know that Calderon and Mijatovic put all their eggs into one basket when it came to CR7. This just confirms it. The Villa part is really disgusting though. I've always said it. Why are we always willing to pay unlimited amounts of money for players that are not Spanish, but the Spanish homegrown players like Villa are only worth so much. One of the best if not the best striker in the world at the moment, golden boot winner at the Euro Cup, top European goal scorer of the WC qualifiers iand Calderon didn't have enough money. What a moron.
sad isnt it. at the time we were the only ones making that 50m euro bid. a couple of million there, maybe a random player and we'd have been somewhere.

and when he says "we had money for ronaldo, but not for anyone else" what a fvcking shambles of a club. run by absolute morons.

its not that we werent able to have a better squad, but it was merely down to their utter incompetence, thats what irritates me.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
Schuster was part of the fiasco and he better shut up.
I remember Schuster said in the summer that we are willing to pay 100m for Ronaldo, and now he says we didn't need him...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Schuster was part of the fiasco and he better shut up.
I remember Schuster said in the summer that we are willing to pay 100m for Ronaldo, and now he says we didn't need him...
Don't think he said anything like that, not as far as I can remember. I remember him saying he would fit into Real Madrid.

Yes Schuster was part of the fiasco, and he did not deliver results, especially not this season. But Schuster had a way he wanted to play, and according to him had a talk last April with Calderon and Mijatovic about improvements needed. And when he gets none of the things they talked about, Calderon and Mijatovic did not make Schusters job easier.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yes but Schuster shouldn't have got the job in the first place. He will never get to coach another top club. He should show some gratitude or just stay quiet instead of bad mouthing.

And here is what Schuster said about Ronaldo in the summer...
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmafp/is_200806/ai_n27509892/
"I would pay 100m euros for Ronaldo, says Schuster" that article said, but if you read it, and other sources for that interview he said: "We will pay what is necessary". Which they translate into: "I would pay 100m euros for Ronaldo", he also said that "What is important is winning the Champions League, and he can help us achieve that".

·
Registered
628 Posts
Now he says they didn't need C.Ronaldo yes. But the interview you linked happened around mid to late June, with plenty of time to go of the transfer window. And in the interview in the opening post, he said he knew that if C.Ronaldo came he would not get another player, except a cheap one. And that getting C.Ronaldo was a theme for Real Madrid. The answers he gave in June was diplomatic and in tune with what Calderon had been saying.

He also say that he wanted 3-4 players if C.Ronaldo didn't come, to strengthen our squad. As we know C.Ronaldo didn't come, and we got vdV instead, cheaply. Schuster says that he was told they couldn't buy for example David Villa or Alves was because there were no money, and yet they were willing to pay more than those two combined for C.Ronaldo.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
oh c'mon! in what world is he livin? And who actually believes his fairy tales? 3-4 players on the coaches wish... strong and successful coaches can do, like Capello who bring their own team of managers and skillful negotiators with them. But ask for them and cry like a kid if you cant get them (Why we didnt get Villa? Hello? Hes playing in Valencia and theyd rather gone into bancrupsy than selling their Euro star to us!).

A good coach is to make the best of the "material" youve got. Sure Calderon & Mijatovic could have done a lot better (and with his big mouth he didnt make their work easier either; dont misunderstand me I didnt like their CR focus either), but he hasnt done much himself to get the team fit and motivated in the season (he left the team in a catastrophal fitness state). And to talk later 'I knew it all better' is so ridiculous.

·
Panopoticon
1,287 Posts
Why didn't he say these things in the summer? Why didn't he threaten to quit his job if he was so appalled by the management? And at the end of the day, only one signing was made but it was an addition to the squad that had just won a league title. It's not just Europe and the Copa where he failed, he virtually lost the league by December. He can't play the blame game, he was a part of this fiasco.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Schuster was always a coward. Now he obviously blames the rest of the world aside himself when it's evident that Juande Ramos is doing a great job with a team that heading the 7th or 8th position in the league under Schuster.

·
A por Ellos!
6,895 Posts
Schuster is a coward and a hypocrite. He was to blame too.

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you are all right in this thread. the Calderon regime included Schuster as coach. so where he takes credit he also shares the blame. Lablanca and sachal you are spot on. but as much as you want to blame schuster, lets remember that they brought him the 6th midfielder which he didnt need and sold robinho who he as a coach in his plans use to rely on a lot.

·
Registered
758 Posts
What a clown... And I don't think here anybody believes a word he says. Sadly Real Madrid were mismanaged when it came to the Summer transfer window but what Schuster fails to mention is that he was part of that whole Cristiano Ronaldo saga.

Never once publicly durinig the Summer did Schuster push for any of Villa, Fabregas, or Alves to come to Madrid. Instead he made ridiculous comments like "I'd pay 100 million for Cristiano Ronaldo" and crap like that before now turning around to say that "We didn't need Cristiano". :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Out of those 3 Schuster mentioned, only for David Villa did Real Madrid make a public push for, offering either 48 or 50 million euros. And though I felt that Valencia would not sell, the fact that the club put up that much money for Villa did make the matter interesting. Had Villa actually PUSHED for a move to Madrid, it would have happened in all likelyhood. But because he didn't and Valencia didn't exactly relish selling their star to Real Madrid anyway, it didn't happen. For that, Schuster cannot blame Calderon. If anything Calderon was the one who always stuck by him till the day he said "beating Barcelona is impossible".

As for Cesc, he's very happy at Arsenal and I think everybody knows that if he does come back to the Spanish league(Inevitable), he's likely to go back to Barcelona.

Alves was pretty much wrapped up for Barcelona by the end of last season so I don't see how Schuster can blame anyone at the club for that one.

And on another note, I think he had a hand in Robinho being sold. That was a big mistake IMO.

He's lame. Good riddance to a terrible coach whom should never get the chance to manage a top club again. Only Ronaldo Koeman was worse than Schuster.:howler:

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
One of the smartest coaches I have seen in a while. He was able to demote teams to 2nd divisions, able to destroy the fitness level of players, able to completely misread games and on and on and yet.........

able to collect millions and millions for doing essentially nothing. Unreal how he was able to fool so many.

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
What a clown... And I don't think here anybody believes a word he says. Sadly Real Madrid were mismanaged when it came to the Summer transfer window but what Schuster fails to mention is that he was part of that whole Cristiano Ronaldo saga.
Nah, I wouldnt go that far. The mgmt were shite but from a footballing point of view better than Florentino (latter part of hsi presidency when he really made his mark ;)) as the titles and stats speak for themselves. Their egos got the better of them in the end and the summer was a disaster. Plus there was all the off field gaffes.

Schuster was a crap manger. He didnt get what he wanted but he coudlnt turn it around. His footbal was simply awful. The team needed to go a goal or two behind before it started reacting.

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
well, Schusters always been like that, looking to blame somebody else. If its the ref, players of an opposite team, media, president, manager whoever. Nothing new actually. Pathetic, really. Maybe its his own character to make himself enemies inside the clubs so that he always fails in his second year with them... He should know best himself, if hes ever able to admit it.

reddy, sure no discussion about it. But thats no reason to ruin the team! Isnt it better to have the balls and say 'adiós guys, if you dont do your job Ill go, I cant work with that team'? Instead of thinking 'if you dont do your job I wont do mine' and ruin a whole season?

Well its all a question of money...barca, you hit the nail on its head!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts