Xtratime Community banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a lot of optimism for our team, even thought it's somewhat average on the European scale. I think our lowest point was when our "Golden Generation" retired from NT and and we lost 5-0 to Sweden in Mixu's second game in charge. But since that the team has made good progress. One of the peaks being 1-1 away draw in Spain. We have also won Czech Republic and Turkey in friendly games.

Having 24 teams qualify of course makes a huge difference for Finland. Fans have been waiting this qualification for a very long time. I think we still need good luck in the group draws, and this time we got it. This group F has no "super teams" and we have a realistic chance to 3rd or even in the top 2. Like in Estonia's 2012 group, I think this group will be very even and teams will take points of each other.

In WC2014 qualification the feeling was different because Finland had Spain and France in its group. But they got a 3rd place from there, so they "only" need to repeat that.

It wont be easy of course. Judging from betting odds, Finland is the 4th best team of this group.

4 Finns in the Champions league group phase this season. That's pretty good. And lot more in the Europa league because of HJK :D

Edit: And there's a hype/preview video from some Finn: http://youtu.be/9LOnAHO_-lY

·
Registered
42,725 Posts
I'm pretty interested with this seasons CL because of the new teams that have qualified - Malmo, Ludogorets, Maribor, and Liverpool making their return to the competition. Also nice to see Athletic Club and Roma. The real downer is the repeat match ups though - Dortmund/Arsenal again, Man City/Bayern/CSKA again, etc

·
Registered
94 Posts
Even some call me crazy or to much optimistic ,But I see a great generation of players that could qualify Faroe Islands to a mayor tournament who could it thought that a small nation of almost 50,000 inhabitants could have gotten to this stage of mathematical possibility of qualifying to a mayor tournament. even if faroe islands manage finish 4th in their group will be a big achievement and other team will not look faroe islands as whipping boys any more so I hope in the future this country qualifies to a tournament and shut up the voices of some arrogant ppl that say that small countries will never qualify to a tornament.

·
Registered
42,725 Posts
striker - just look at what Iceland's doing, they're a very small nation as well, population 300,000, and I'm very sure they'll qualify for the European championships. They've got a fantastic generation of players and above everything a great team. Came so close to making the 2014 WC, but no matter. I also have a lot of respect for the Faroe Islands, but I doubt they'll ever qualify for a major tournament. One reason for this, I saw a news report on Al-Jazeera which reported that the population on the island is dwindling as time passes as the younger generation is leaving to places like Copenhagen where there's greater opportunities for them.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
11,072 Posts
striker - just look at what Iceland's doing, they're a very small nation as well, population 300,000, and I'm very sure they'll qualify for the European championships. They've got a fantastic generation of players and above everything a great team. Came so close to making the 2014 WC, but no matter. I also have a lot of respect for the Faroe Islands, but I doubt they'll ever qualify for a major tournament. One reason for this, I saw a news report on Al-Jazeera which reported that the population on the island is dwindling as time passes as the younger generation is leaving to places like Copenhagen where there's greater opportunities for them.
Romania have had excellent talents for ages and continue to pump out these talents, many of notable people like Laudrup and Mourinho will attest to the fact that Romanians have always produced some of the most technical players out there, but they have struggled to qualify in recent years. It's not about having talents imo, it's about having a real team, organization, a half-decent manager and staff, and above all, people who care about football, not just in it for the money (corruption). I wish we'd copy their model and have their mentality (or the one of the Germans, Dutch, or Croatians) we'd be one of the best in the world again no doubt. No reason a traditional and passionate footballing country such as ours shouldn't. Possibly the most underrated in history, especially as a result of the opinions of those who've just started watching football 5-10 years ago.

Faroes also impressed me considering they have only 40,000 people and many of them fishermen. Edmundsson was my favourite, he's got some intelligence on the pitch as well as fairly decent technique..

·
General Iordanescu
28,692 Posts
Nah, bro, none of the current Romanian talents will make it big.

Unless you consider Al-Ittihad big.

Foroyars, now they got good youngins like Edmundsson and that other guy.

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
11,072 Posts
You're right, they couldn't possibly be rated highly by some of the best clubs in Europe which they play for right now lol

Edmundsson has my vote for the Golden Ball. They certainly make much more of what they have than we do, these pesky Faroes, credit to them. Efficiency, organization, and motivation beasts!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry to tell you this Jeffrey but that al jazzeera report ended up being a false report cause they don't say that most of this young Faroese come back to faroe islands cause they get home sick and every to or three month I check Faroese population and I found out instead of decresing is increasing plus the Faroese diaspora in Denmark the young that play soccer will never play for Denmark cause they consider Faroese not Danish so there you have a prospers new Faroese players that can give the islands that edge of players that can give the change to faroe islands to qualify to a tournament plus now the faroeseplayers on the islands have the mentality of come to the pitch to play soccer and to win games they don't have the amateur mentality of try not to get trash anymore so they have a good chance of going to a tournament
maybe not in the next five years but in 10 or 20 yes

·
Registered
94 Posts
and if you look the Faroese team they are more Danish-Faroese in the national team if you look you wont find a Faroese-Danish in Denmark national team, even faroe islands Greenland and demark form the Danish realm ,but the Faroese don't consider themselves as danes.

·
General Iordanescu
28,692 Posts
BTW, the Faroese population increases due to Filipino, Thai brides Foroyars are bringing in.

Which means it will be a foodie destination in a few years... Imagine, red curry whale :lick: Or pad thai with puffin :lick:

·
Registered
94 Posts
yes you're right there . but the increase is because even they have few foreign players in their premier league as soon they establish in faroe islands and see how quiet life is there , were crime is the lowest in the world I think they start bringing their family to lieve there , yes the Faroese are completely different to Danish, in culture music dances, they consider the Icelanders their big brothers instead of the Danish they feel closer to Iceland than Denmark of course they will be independent at some point cause even in the unionist camp in the faroes some of them don't oppose to some day be a independent country but they prefere doing it step by step or slowly

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
11,072 Posts
Good good, more people and resources put into football the better. Though they kind of have a limit considering the amount of habitable land :pp would be amazing to see them at a final tournament one day, or even pull a Costa Rica and challenge in the knockouts! :proud:

·
Registered
42,725 Posts
I'd love to travel to the Faroes sometime, it looks really beautiful. Iceland as well. Those places fascinate the hell out of me [their culture].

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
11,072 Posts

·
Ilie Balaci ❤
11,072 Posts
Jakup Thomsen (23-11-1997) started for Midtjylland U19 in their 2-1 win over Saburtalo Tbilisi in the UEFA Youth League :proud:

http://fcm.dk/spillere/jákup-thomsen

He was replaced by Serring in the 68th minute. They won 5-2 on aggregate and will face Legia U19 in the 'final' of the Champions Route. If they go through, they will face teams from the Champions League Route in the round of 32 (2nd place teams from the group stage of CL Route, 1st placed teams get a bye to the round of 16).

http://www.flashscore.com/draw/SExBABYu/h0p1WmA7/?hp1=0fU1jSqb&hp2=n9AWhab7#draw

321 - 340 of 340 Posts