3. B68_Toftir 18 10 1 7 43 - 38 31
4. Klaksvík 18 9 3 6 42 - 28 30
5. Runavík 18 8 3 7 39 - 33 27
6. Gøta 18 8 2 8 41 - 38 26
7. B36_Tórshavn 18 8 1 9 45 - 31 25
8. B71_Sandur 18 4 2 12 25 - 33 14
9. Sumba 18 4 1 13 20 - 67 13
10. Vágar 18 3 2 13 22 - 54 11

I felt the Faroe Island's deserved their own thread.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Well, HB Tórshavn is like Rosenborg in the norwegian league, but this year Vagúr took the first spot, and Tórshavn the second :happy:
But I'm very sorry, I don't know much about players and stuff like that, the NT isn't going very strong of what I know :(
Do they have an NT BTW way :D:confused::D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yes.. I am interested in Faroese soccer.. I have been to two games in the Faroe Islands (1999 1-1 vs Scotland, and 2-2 vs Bosnia). Last fall I went to Zurich, and they lost 5-1.

Anyways.. here is the squad.. apparently a few of these players are injured and may not play. Suni Olsen, who plays for FC Zwolle in Holland was not called up b/c of an important club game in Holland.

Unfortunately Todi Jonsson (great player for FC Copenhagen) has retired from the national team (for now.. it sounds like he will be back). He is the leading scorer for the Faroe Islands with 9 goals in 43 games.

Jákup Mikkelsen (1970), Herfølge BK (DEN) - 19/-32
Jens Martin Knudsen (1967), NSÍ Runavík - 52/-139
Óli Johannesen (1972), Hvidovre IF (DEN) - 50/1
Hans Fróði Hansen (1975), B68 Toftir - 17/1
Pól Thorsteinsson (1973), B36 Tórshavn - 21/0
Johan B. Hansen (1975), OB Odense (DEN) - 2/0
Allan Mørkøre (1971), HB Tórshavn - 53/1
Øssur Hansen (1971), B68 Toftir - 44/2
Fróði Benjaminsen (1977), B68 Toftir - 9/0
Sámal Joensen (1975), GÍ Gøta - 21/0
John Petersen (1972), B36 Tórshavn - 31/3
Julian Johnsson (1975), Sogndal IL (NOR) - 37/1
Rógvi Jacobsen (1979), HB Tórshavn - 9/0
Jákup á Borg (1979), B36 Tórshavn - 12/0
Kurt Mørkøre (1969), Sogndal IL (NOR) - 34/3
Christian Høgni Jacobsen (1980), NSÍ Runavík - 3/1
Helgi L. Petersen (1978), GÍ Gøta - 0/0
Uni Arge (1971), HB Tórshavn - 33/7

[Edited by Sigma_Olomouc on 26-05-2001 at 21:29]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I guess the player I'm the most familiar with here is Kurt Mørkøre of Sogndal, he did very well last season. He's had trouble adapting to the higher level in Tippeligaen after their promotion from 1st division though. He's not a regular in the starting eleven and still haven't scored this year. Don't know how important he is to the national team, just know he scored in a match recently for it.

Nice to have something about Faroese footy in here ;)

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I agree :)

I think its safe to say that not many ppl here know much about Faerose fotball :doh: ;D so updates would be great :happy:

Now we just need an Icelandic rep :hopefull:

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where do you live now Sigma?? It is great to have something about faroese soccer here, maybe you can post something about the league??

Too bad about Kurt Mørkøre, he was crowned worst player in the top series in Norway in April - May, but I am certain he will come back sronger, he was quite good in the first division where he played for an attacking team. He himself said that he was great for an attacking team, but lousy for a defencive team.

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Sogndal isn't about all-out defense like Moss or whoever, they attack. I think the opposition got more to do with his trouble than Sogndal's style of play. And of course, the fact he's not good enough for their starting eleven might have something to do with the fact he's having trouble scoring :p

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just quoting Mørkøre, and I agree that the opponents are a lot tougher. Actually ørkøre had the lowest rating this season of all players in the Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet.

Maybe like Zane he just need more chances to play?? :hopefull:

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Unfortunately, i think this would result in Morkore moving back to Div 1 as there are not many worse teams in the Tippeliga :D

And what is this comparing Zane to Morkore anyway :wth:. I know we are somewhat of an underachieving country, but comparing us to a small European Island :eekani:

Zane had had 2 headers against Mexico so far. The first was saved by the keeper and the second went flying over the bar :sigh:. He will want to do well because his selection in the starting XI caused some controversy.

BTW what is his goal/chance ratio anyway. Does he get a lot of chances that he stuffs up (like he has done in the past)???

[Edited by Andreas Speck on 30-05-2001 at 12:43]

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Tromsø, B/G and Strømsgodset also needs people who can score, they haven't been impressive so far this season :D

Zane's done great this month, quite impressive to score 7 goals while playing for LSK :) Not sure about his chances, he seems to score on quite a few of them actually.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Andreas Speck said:
And what is this comparing Zane to Morkore anyway :wth:. I know we are somewhat of an underachieving country, but comparing us to a small European Island
No one here has compared Australia with the Faroe Islands :howler: Mørkøre and Zane still have similarities. They are both players that have not been achieving too much, they are both foreigners, and are both strikers.

I heard Zane played a good match yesterday, that is great to hear, hope he scores in the next match. But remember that the goalgetter usually take way too much of the credit.

The last few weeks I think Zane has played great, also meaning that he hasn't missed a lot of chances.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
I'll be able to tell you inmore detail in about 3 hours how he played :cool:

The replay of the Australia-Mexico game is on SBS at 10pm AEST

·
Registered
775 Posts
Would some posters be interested in updates (brief) on the Faroese league???

This webpage has some good pictures of the Faroe Islands (and soccer) - soccer pitches, league games, international games (vs Bosnia, vs Scotland, and at Swiss) if anyone is interested.

http://FaroeseFootball.tripod.com/

I will just briefly post the round 5 results from last weekend:

B36 15 FS Vagar 0 - New Faroese league record - Vagar was promoted from the 2nd division last year.
EB/Streymur 1 B68 2
B71 1 KI 2 (Big away win for KI!) :)
VB 1 GI 2 (Gotu are the league leaders)
NSI 2 HB 1

Skala are currently leading the second division.. I believe they were promoted from the third division last year.

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Just wondering...anyone care to enlighten me?

·
Registered
775 Posts
The main reason why the Faroe Islands do not have an U-21 team is $$$ (money). I believe they are going to try to form an U-21 team in a few years.. it only makes sense for them to have an U-21 team. Currently they also do not have a full women's team.. only an U-18 side. That is about all I know.. hopefully it helps.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Faroese player in the English league and other news

Julian Johnsson made his debut last week for Hull City in a friendly against Sheff. Wed. He played 45 minutes, and apparently he looked very impressive.

B36 won the Faroese Cup thanks to a 1-0 victory over KI. Jens Kristian Hansen scored for B36.

The Faroese league is currently on summer break. The summer is not very long in the Faroe Islands... it gives the players a chance to enjoy the weather :)

Standings after the 1st Half (10 games)

1. GÍ Gøta 30pts
2. B36 Torshavn 25pts
3. HB Torshavn 16pts
4. B68 Toftir 16pts
5. VB Vagur 15pts (Champions last year)
6. KI Klaksvik 12pts
7. NSI Runavik 11pts
8. EB/Streymur Eiði 9pts (Promoted to first division)
9. B71 Sandoy 7pts
10. FS Vagar 6pts

Top scorers:
Helgi L. Petersen GÍ 15
John Petersen B36 10
Heðin á Lakjuni B36 8

2nd Division:

Skala is currently leading the second division. HB is second, but they cannot be promoted to the first division. Two points seperate first from sixth.

Tomek Resel (Poland) is tied with a few other players for top striker with 7 goals. He plays for LIF.

2nd Division (10 games played)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is there someone from Faeroe Islands here?

Are there any members from F.I. here?

If so, can`t you tell us a bit about your league, and your teams?

That would have been interesting. :)

Check out my new thread in the fan exchange also. :)

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The Faroe Islands are cool. I'd like to know something too about your domestic league and your national players.

Do any Faroese players play in Norway, Denmark or Sweden ?
I know none play in Finland.

1 - 20 of 340 Posts