Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The FA Cup Final looks set to be moved to Cardiff's Millennium Stadium for three seasons, including next May's showpiece event.

Chelsea's victory over Aston Villa in last May's final was the last to be staged between the twin towers, after the event had been held at the venue since 1923.

Due to the redevelopment of the Stadium, a number of grounds had been considered as venues, including Old Trafford and other Premiership grounds.

However, in order for the final to remain at a neutral stadium, the 73,000-capacity Millennium Stadium has emerged as the first choice to host the event between 2001 and 2003.

The announcement was made at the end of the FA's three-day conference in Torquay, with executive director David Davies saying: "The Millennium Stadium has established itself very quickly as a special venue.

"While the new Wembley is being created, it would be, we believe, as appropriate setting for the FA Cup final. I am sure our sponsors would be delighted if we could reach an agreement with our friends in Cardiff.

Although there are believed to be a number of outstanding questions to be answered before completing the deal, Davies added: "We have already had the stadium assessed, and all he reports are positive."

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Whilst it is outside of England, I feel the Millenium stadium is an ideal temporary home for the FA Cup final. The only other viable options are Twickenham or Hampden park. I'd go for the Millenium stadium over either of these!

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
as someone who lives in Cardiff I think that is the best idea that has ever been given the light of day :). Of course there is no way that I can be objective about this so I will not.
Bring the FA cup to Cardiff...........and give the Pool a bie to the final :D

p.s. I will be back on this forum a lot in the middle of Septembre (at last). I have had major problems with (a) my comp and (b) the parents not getting another one.
All of this shoud be sorted out well soon.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
It is a disgrace for sommin as special as the F.A. Cup to be played outside England.....i thought the corrupt F.A. had sunk to its lowest.....i was wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts