Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far we are at group 6 with Northern Ireland and Armenia.

Waiting for the big fish.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...and Spain. Ouch.

Our group is:

Spain
Ukraine
Greece
North Ireland
Armenia

Quite hard I would say. :(

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I personally think we are doomed. Spain spells two defeats, Ukraine away is one of these impossible fixtures you just cant win. On top of that, N. Ireland can cause us problems away. Armenia doesnt matter cause everyone will beat them anyway.

And thinking Shevchenko And Raul :scared:

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
AMOROSO! said:
I personally think we are doomed. .
Of that there is no doubt ;)

but dont you want to see if we've really 'acquired' a backbone under Rehagel like some results have suggested? Against Raul and Shevchenko you cant hide weaknesses everything is exposed......Ive noticed since we got Rehaggel too many supporters are tentatively starting to think 'maybe we are improving'...and other sh!t along those lines, a trap we fall into time and time again, we bomb out of qualifiers and then get results when theres nothing to play for, Ive seen this too much :(

For me the away trips to spain Ukraine and Ireland are all 3 clean losses, Ukraine and spain at home is almost another 2 losses BUT if we are still alive by the time we play spain at home the Olympic stadium will be full :cool: something that doesnt occur too much lately :sigh: Thats what Id like to see! :cool:

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
George, we are talking about North Ireland, not Ireland. :)

I just want us to qualify for a change no matter what. I refuse to be optimistic...

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
Im aware that Northern Ireland are the poorer brothers of the republic of Ireland :D but even so do you really think we can get a result there? :D

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hear what you guys are saying and it's easy to make predictions based on our past performances.After all we have even f ucked up when playing banana republics such as albania,not to mention other nobody countries.We have been teased by the ethniki for too long,but..........i really believe that rehhagel is steering this ship in the right direction.

We must get a convincing result in our opening game.If that is achievable it just might give us the confidence to do well in the group.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
come on guys whats with all this negativity, this is not that tough of a group, i know you guys have had trouble with weaker teams such as albania but you have a new coach and the good thing is that hes german which means he will instill some discipline and fighting spirit into your team and there is no reason why you guys should lose to either armenia or N ireland and im sure you you can beat ukraine which is not an impossible task, as for spain thats another story there without a doubt the toughest team and the group and they should easily take first place.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Come on boys settle down a bit, this is a very good group for Grece, look at all the teams. Greece has a decent coach and we showed against ngland what we can do.
Personally I thnk we will push the spaniards who are the perennial underachievers of the world in soccer and maybe even take 1st place.
Remember what Cyprus did to them a couple of yeears ago.
I say this is a good group and we will qualify because we have a good coach who will tirn some very good greek players into a fine team.
Ukraine is on the way down I believe and Armenia and Nth Ireland are inferior to us.
Think positive.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spain may underachieve but only at the big events, after they demolish everything on their way to qualification. If we get even one point from them I'll be delighted. But I really think they will destroy us. Twice.

Ukraine could be on their way down, but they have Shevchenko who wont forgive the minor defencive mistake (and our defenders tend to do mistakes). Do you honestly think we can go to Kiev and take even a draw? I doubt it.

North Ireland and Armenia sure are inferior, but when was the last time Greece did not choke against inferior teams? Can anyone forget the fiascos with Albania and Latvia? Plus, North Ireland is one of these teams that will REALLY give us problems by fighting like lions and putting 11 men defending in their area. I'd much rather have a more talented but more "open" team like Bosnia instead of these hardasses.

Just my opinion. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
adi boys don't be so negative!!

My opinion is.....WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!! It's something I just feel inside, it is time for us to accomplish SOMETHING! Why not start here? Here is my analysis:

Spain-Obvious Favorites. We are going to lose in Spain, but maybe we can snatch a point in Greece. (depends)

Ukraine-Maybe a little better. At home I think it is a must win, if we actually want to qualify. In Ukraine, a draw is possible, but I expect a loss. And I honestly think we can beat them IN GREECE. You make them sound to good AMO.

N.Ireland-A tricky team for us. Only because we seem to mess up games we should win. But if Rehaggel has the boys playing diciplened and consistent we should take both games.

Armenia-2 MUST WINS! I hate dropping points to teams we should be taking 6 from each time! We need to beat them home and away.

It is not impossible! And I have a very good feeling about this! It's time for this team to do something!!! Rehaggel knows what he is doing, and the whole team seems to be responding well to him, he is going to lead us! I HAVE FAITH!! I know what you mean AMO, year after year, coach after coach the same sh!t. But this time it;s differen't, I know it file. Mark my words, we are going to make history this time!! Not to bad of a draw... :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
ukraine is a very unprepard team, they play something like 2 friendlies a year against oppnents like latvia and andorra they talk big before the game and then they come out and dissapoint, so you most definetly have a chance. look at it this way you could of gotten a much tougher opponent from the second pot like poland for instance. :D

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well of course Spain are the big favourites to win this group, and Greece or Ukraine are favoured to make up the play-off spot.

Spain as well all know are the under achievers of world football, and this may play a factor here.

The crucial thing for Greece is the home games, they must do well. If they can get a win at home to the Ukraine which they have are capable of doing, they will have an advantage.

·
Star Player
4,703 Posts
negativity? :confused: what are u guys talking abt?

You still havent learnt have yas? You constantly set ureselves up for the inevitable fall and you spit blood when we play like fairies......... Dont expect anything, what youve seen against England wasnt anything new, they always do that after its clear they cant qualify, but when the pressures on different story, Im not being pessimistic, just saying Im sick of hearing that 'this coach is good' and 'this time we'll do it coz we have a good group' its not the coach its the damn players and their attitude to the jumper, I'll gladly stand corrected but there no way Im going into this qualifiers thinking we have even an outside chance b/c they have to prove iton the park not in pissy uninteresting games or friendlies but where it counts!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Rechagel is ready to do a good work here and players(if they have support from EPO) are ready too!

I strongly believe that our national team will succeed this time:happy:The group is difficult but..hey we don't have two monters like England and Germany!Ukraine is a good team with a very solid home...As for Northern Ireland all their players play in English and Scottish clubs so we must expect a team with British style(power,pressing etc) and they can cause a lot of problems.

PAME ELLADARAAAAA!!!!

·
International
8,545 Posts
What's all this talk about pessimism and optimism? Whether you believe strongly that you'll qualify or that you wont', it don't make no nevamind, we're only fans talking about it;)

As far as the group is concerned, I haven't seen Greece play since we(Cro) were in the same qualifying group for WC98, so I can only judge you in on your results.

I don't believe you can beat Spain because they are a powerhouse and like Amo says, they might choke in big tournaments, but they bulldoze their way through qualifications.

As far as Ukraine goes, if you can't beat them you don't deserve to be there anyway.

Sheva is great no doubt, but other than that they're a below average team. I saw a couple of their qualifying games this past round and they looked horrible. Poland walked into Kiev and really walked all over them and won 3-1.

Ukraine had somewhat of a good reputation a few years back which was warranted, but they're not anywhere near that level anymore and not a team to be feared.

I'd predict Spain to finish first with Greece taking the playoff spot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts