Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The upcoming expansion of the European Union in May will extend the borders of the community to nations once behind the Iron Curtain and increase the member states from 15 to 25. In what ways (if any) do you think the current member states will benefit from the expansion?

I read this article from this morning's International Herald Tribune about the port city of Trieste, and the hopes of some that the expansion will help revitalise the economy:

http://www.iht.com/articles/517290.html

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
I think it's a hiostorical mistake. This for the reason I already explained in other threads: instituationally the EU is not ready to deal with 10 extra countries. The consensus rule should be changed into decisionmaking with a majority vote for all issues first

Furthermore it is once again frightening to see how awfully people inform themselves. In a survey here, it was shown that over 50% of the Belgians can not name 1 state that is joining the EU on the 1e of may, not one. Meanwhile they are against it because they fear a loss of jobs and the rise of crime because of it. To be honest it makes me sick that those people have the right to vote for the European parlement in June.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Well gOD, I agree with the fact that people are not well informed, because the same happens here. But I do think that people are right in their fears for more crime. Especially in Belgium. Didn't you have that Eastern European (EE) gang that went through the country robbing? Both in Holland and Belgium, the crime rates by EE gangs is so highly increasing. Even my own grandmother got robbed in her own home by two EE ladies.

I'm not saying that all EE people are criminals of course, but if you look at the criminal activities by EE at the moment, I can see why people are afraid of that.

For the jobs, well I'm not that afraid. Even though the unemployment is rising, the EE people will only do the simple jobs that the locals won't take anyway, so whining about that is not correct. If you whine about Polish people taking jobs in the Agrarian sector, fine, but then the locals must not complain either when they have to do the simple, underpaid jobs.

·
Registered
14,672 Posts
Still the most effective way to fight crime is through cooperation of the police-forces. In a joined EU that has more chance to be a succes. Furthermore on the long run the economical growth and wealth that will arrive in the Eastern European countries is the best (and in fact) prevention possible.

·
Registered
55,821 Posts
Prince-O said:
Well gOD, I agree with the fact that people are not well informed, because the same happens here. But I do think that people are right in their fears for more crime. Especially in Belgium. Didn't you have that Eastern European (EE) gang that went through the country robbing? Both in Holland and Belgium, the crime rates by EE gangs is so highly increasing. Even my own grandmother got robbed in her own home by two EE ladies.

I'm not saying that all EE people are criminals of course, but if you look at the criminal activities by EE at the moment, I can see why people are afraid of that.

For the jobs, well I'm not that afraid. Even though the unemployment is rising, the EE people will only do the simple jobs that the locals won't take anyway, so whining about that is not correct. If you whine about Polish people taking jobs in the Agrarian sector, fine, but then the locals must not complain either when they have to do the simple, underpaid jobs.
it is also u who is not well informed;) those ee gangs come mainly from countries not joining eu, i.e. russia, ukraine, etc.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
sanyi said:
it is also u who is not well informed;) those ee gangs come mainly from countries not joining eu, i.e. russia, ukraine, etc.
Yes, true, but also Poland. And Poland is joining the EU.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
gOD said:
he's right, Brussel mostely had to deal with Polish gangs
True, I just read an article that especially Polish, Lithuanian and Bulgarian criminals are very interested in coming to Holland at least. Especially for smuggling drugs, false money, smuggling of persons and crimes like car theft.

·
Registered
55,821 Posts
Prince-O said:
True, I just read an article that especially Polish, Lithuanian and Bulgarian criminals are very interested in coming to Holland at least. Especially for smuggling drugs, false money, smuggling of persons and crimes like car theft.
might be true, but most of those gangs are still russians or directed by russians. same happens in hungary where red-light milieu is almost completely in ukrainian hands.

what i want to say is that criminal gangs find their way to west europe anyway if they want, has nothing to do with eu expansion.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
JKris said:
The ones in Sweden is Yoguslavian...

anyway, criminals would find their way anyway.
Really? Do you have stats to back up your facts?

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
gOD said:
Still the most effective way to fight crime is through cooperation of the police-forces.
Wishful thinking, gOD. If I look at the situation in the various EU member states, it's so that most regional police departments can't even work together. And that's within the same country. Let alone if they had to work together on an international basis.

EuroPol sounds like a good idea, but as long as there are still such great differences in the judicial systems and approach to law enforcement, I have serious doubts they'll ever get it to work.

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
I think we Europeans should focus on the opportunities now, not everything that could go wrong, let the authorities deal with security measures and crime fighting. Like it has been said in this thread, criminals will get around no matter what.

Just imagine, suddenly a majority of the countries in Europe will be a part of the EU (& don't forget the EEC countries). We should take the advantages of this, and make sure we get a better Europe, with less rigid borders, more freedom, better trade, same currency, more equal education, judicial systems and better communication between the countries. Hopefully more countries will join in 2007.

I am looking forward to the expansion. Together we can make it better. :)

·
Registered
55,821 Posts
Orange said:
I think we Europeans should focus on the opportunities now, not everything that could go wrong, let the authorities deal with security measures and crime fighting. Like it has been said in this thread, criminals will get around no matter what.

Just imagine, suddenly a majority of the countries in Europe will be a part of the EU (& don't forget the EEC countries). We should take the advantages of this, and make sure we get a better Europe, with less rigid borders, more freedom, better trade, same currency, more equal education, judicial systems and better communication between the countries. Hopefully more countries will join in 2007.

I am looking forward to the expansion. Together we can make it better. :)
well said , orange:)

·
Registered
15,157 Posts
Easy for Orange to say, Norway ain't in the EU :pp

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
We are part of the EEC and the Schengen partnership, so our borders are just as open as the borders of Belgium. I've also read that we have the best financial and social benefits for people that come here. But I haven't examined the other countries closely.

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
me thinks kris got his ass kicked ;) :pp

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
JKris said:
Inside information. You don't have to believe me and this is something media in Sweden would never publish.
Inside information from the ministry of pixie and fairy affairs? You havent got any do you?

Why wouldnt the media publish it? Maybe all of the Chiefs of the media institutions are being paid off. In fact i have inside information that this is true.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts