Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Jan. 6 - The Epiphany - will bring us the Roman Derby, one of the most anticipated dates on the Serie A calander. Lazio-Roma at the Olimpico with all the trappings, people, the real deal kicks off Jan. 6. It's a marvelous date for such a tense match.
Still, there's no denying this year's affair will feature less complete talent, even compared to recent derbies. Financial disorders have hurt both clubs in the last year. But the will to win is stronger than ever, and the match represents for us a big chance to keep winning. I want three points from the burini, if only for what happened at the last cancelled derby. I guess Di Canio is already talking crap about Totti and Roma in advance of the match.
We are w/out Montella, :moan: so it'll be interesting to see what Del Neri opts for in attack/formation. One thing is for SURE - we need that magical stuff from Totti & Cassano :jester: :thmbup:
I'm already planning to take Jan. 6 off from work, solely to watch the derby. Forza Roma :proud: :thmbup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
This game is hard for both of Lazio-Roma but I think
Roma will win 2-1 Roma goal will be by (Totti- cassano)
best luck To Roma to win and crushed stupid Lazio ( Lazio is my
2 hatest team after inter)

Go Totti Goooooooooooooooo

Froza Totti

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>>>>Giuseppe Papadopulo will probably be named as Lazio’s new Coach today after Mimmo Caso got the Christmas sack >>>>

Our second match in a row of playing a club w/ a new coach. Hopefully, things go the same as w/ Parma. :happy:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I expect us to cruise through this match. Then the Rome derby is never predictable in that way. If we win this we are definitely back on track, so this is kind of a huge match for us, even more than it usually is.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Good luck in this game. Although Interisti is supposed to be friends with Laziali, I have strangely found Roma to be my 2nd favourite team in Italy. Perhaps it's because of the genius that is Totti.

Just wondering, will this game be played in the afternoon or night? I know there are issues raised on this before but I don't know if it has been resolved or not. Thanx!

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Handoyo said:
Just wondering, will this game be played in the afternoon or night? I know there are issues raised on this before but I don't know if it has been resolved or not. Thanx!
I think it's night. The mayor of Rome wanted it to be played in the afternoon of obvious reasons, but I don't think it got changed. Goal.com says 20:30. Personally, I couldn't agree more with the mayor, but it's nice to see evening matches. :shades:

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
One of the most colourful games of the season,Roma to me will win hands down.Lazio are to much of a mess at the moment,And Popadopulo surely hasn't had enough time to sought things out to the slightest.Roma look to be on the right track and the players are pumped to do the job.
A spirited game by Lazio but Roma will cruise through easily.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
For sure,its going to be a fiercely contested game.I know that it will be the Lazio manager's first game in charge and he will want to impressSo too will Paolo Di Canio as he loves playing against ROMA.He once scored in the derby and went under the Curva Sud making the V-sign.It did not go down too well.
The form book goes out the window in this game,and I feel ROMA will win this game if only because their players keep their emotions in place better than Lazio's.I am tipping Cassano to rise to the occasion and Totti to be on his game as he loves playing in the derby games.As for Di Canio,he might just let things get the better of him and get sent off. :D

·
Registered
60,321 Posts
The Rome derby has always been one of my favourite matches every season. Hopefully it'll turn out to be an interesting match with lots of goals and red cards. :shades: :D

So Lazio are the home side ?

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Serie A Week 17 - 6/1/04 (20.30)
Lazio - Roma

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rome derby is upon us and the stage is set for a fiery battle between two teams who need a victory – both for the table and above all psychologically.

Lazio have slid down to 15th position – just four points clear of the relegation zone – with their humiliating defeat at Udinese. That result proved the final straw for Mimmo Caso, who was sacked and replaced by former Siena Coach Giuseppe Papadopulo.

He could not have asked for a tougher debut match at a big club, as the Derby della Capitale has become a watchword for passion and occasionally violence. Last year this tie had to be abandoned at half-time due to crowd trouble and there were appeals to have this evening game rescheduled for an afternoon kick-off to cut down on further problems. This is set to be even more fiery than ever, as both clubs are struggling and need to prove to their fans that their hearts are in the fight.

Nobody typifies that attitude more than Paolo Di Canio, who positively bleeds blue and white. The veteran is leading by example, as shown by his brace in the 3-3 draw with Lecce, and pushed his teammates to resume training a day early in preparation for this showdown.

With Caso gone, Di Canio has even more power within the club and is essentially an assistant manager on the field. Roberto Muzzi is also a Lazio fan from childhood and should partner the former West Ham star in place of Simone Inzaghi. Sebastiano Siviglia, an ex-Roma player, is suspended and makes way for Talamonti in defence.

If the situation at Lazio is hairy, then Roma aren’t doing much better. Gigi Del Neri has failed to give the team any consistency, as they go from stunning 5-1 demolitions of Parma to dismal performances against Brescia, Sampdoria and Reggina.

The real tragedy for them now is that top scorer Vincenzo Montella will be banned from taking part in the most eagerly awaited game of the season, picking up a silly yellow card for a handling offence. Del Neri could shelve the trident attack in favour of a 4-4-2 system with Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano upfront, or push Amantino Mancini further up the field in support, while Mido and Marco Delvecchio – the man who has scored more Rome derby goals than any other – are alternative options.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lazio (probable): Peruzzi; Oddo, Talamonti, Couto, Seric; A Filippini, Giannichedda, Dabo; Pandev, Di Canio; Muzzi

Roma (probable): Pelizzoli; Mexes, Dellas, Ferrari; Panucci, Perrotta, De Rossi, Cufre; Mancini, Totti, Cassano

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Di Canio celebrating in front of Curva Sud ;)

·
Registered
13,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guys, don't forget to make your prediction for the match and Sunday's vs. Atalanta. Can't wait for Thurs. Should be a whale of a match! Win, baby, win!

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Lets hope Peruzzi is in the spirit of the Epiphany and hands out a few gifts especially to Mido.I just hope Mido welcomes them gracefully. :thmbup:

1 - 20 of 94 Posts