Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feyenoord houdt jaarlijks haventoernooi

7/3/2006 12:04

Vanaf volgend jaar gaat Feyenoord in de voorbereiding op het nieuwe seizoen een internationaal toernooi houden. In augustus 2007 staat het eerste World Port Tournament gepland.
In De Kuip treden de Rotterdammers aan tegen clubs uit andere havensteden. Feyenoord hoopt op aansprekende tegenstanders. 'Liverpool en Barcelona zouden ideaal zijn en ook HSV is aardig', aldus commercieel directeur Chris Woerts in de Feyenoordkrant.

In het verleden kende Feyenoord al tien jaar lang een dergelijk toernooi. Vanaf 1978 presenteerde de club zich tijdens het AD-toernooi aan de eigen aanhang. Feyenoord won het toernooi vier keer.

This Chris Woerts guy seriously rocks. After the Ono project, Eredivisie merchandising & TV rights, this looks like another good idea.

I guess they'll be trying to get real good opponents like Barca and Liverpool for the first tournament looking at our 100 year anniversary, but for later years, we could also invite great clubs like Olympique Marseille, Olympiakos, Deportivo La Coruna, Newcastle United, Celtic, Porto, Benfica and Sampdoria.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Even Red Star. :D

Nah, but a very good initiative IMO. Great way to promote Rotterdam and Feyenoord and a good preparation for the season.

I still long for the old youth tournaments Feyenoord used to organize when I was growing up. Some great sides showed up there and I saved the programs so that I could see if one day there'd be a great player among them. Sadly don't know where they are though. :googly:

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KrLe said:
I still long for the old youth tournaments Feyenoord used to organize when I was growing up. Some great sides showed up there and I saved the programs so that I could see if one day there'd be a great player among them. Sadly don't know where they are though. :googly:
They stopped it? :dazed: haven't really been following it but I remember reading about it a few summers ago.

As for end of season games, I read that we'll be going to Shanghai at the end of the season as part of a trading delegation from Rotterdam to there :cool: we actually been there before a few years ago cos my uncle who worked there saw us lose to a local side about 10 years ago :eek:

Hope they'll visit Voorschoten again btw like last summer.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Yeah, they stopped a while back, a shame really since watching young talents take eachother on is always fun. Less tactics, more individualism. :thumbsup:

We need to exploit the growing Chinese market, so I'm all for it. :cool:

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
Wally said:
we could also invite great clubs like Olympique Marseille, Olympiakos, Deportivo La Coruna, Newcastle United, Celtic, Porto, Benfica and Sampdoria.
Athleeeeeeeeeetic!

Like this idea too, but it all depends on which clubs accept their invitation or this idea will succeed of course.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Interesting, I just don't see why the thread starter had to look in the direction of Amsterdam before deciding upon your thread title. Have your fancy tournament, we'll have ours, no reason why they should not be able to co-exist...:mute:

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hehe just trying to wind you up. Seriously speaking, it will be pretty hard to match the quality of the sides that have been coming to the Amsterdam tournament over the years. You only have to look at our opponents in our opening game in de kuip in the last couple of years: Middlesborough next year, Hertha, Fulham & Celta da Vigo. All mid-table sides. Before we tended to get sides like Lazio (in their prime), Chelsea and Spurs who are head and shoulders above Boro and Fulham when it comes to supporters numbers.

Even clubs like Celtic are hard to entice to get to play in Rotterdam nowadays as they prefer playing in Boston and the likes each summer in front of all the Irish ex-pats, while even sides like Everton nowadays have summer tours of the Far East in the pre-season.

I wish Woerts good luck and he certainly is a man who's able to get the maximum out of something like with the Eredivisie TV rights, but it'll be tricky.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
I think you should be able to get some bigger names as well. Dutch teams on a whole have the advantage of being able to boast a lot of popularity abroad. I don't see why bigger sides won't be interested to come to Rotterdam, like they are in Amsterdam. Anyway, would be good for Dutch football, to have some good pre-season tournaments. :)

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
http://www.ad.nl/sport/article956537.ece

Clubs being mentioned to take part by the AD.

-Liverpool (& Dirk Kuijt :cool: )
-Hamburger SV (hopefully still a Bundesliga 1 side by then)
-Shanghai Shenua (club of Carsten Jancker :D)

not the top of the top but still interesting.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Last club really one from Woerts I assume. Hoping to sell the rights big time to China then. Or is just everyone so willing to see the butcher from Rapid Wien back? ;)

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chivu said:
Or is just everyone so willing to see the butcher from Rapid Wien back? ;)
could be, all the clubs have a player who got one over us :(
hitman Bellamy and fluke hakje VDV

I'm also willing to bet that Erwin'll then see überAriër Jancker as our ideal pinch-hitter/pater familias for next season after the tournament :moan: wonder what the odds are on that :greed:

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
OT: i don't really understand why Feyenoord fans hate VDV that much. The only reason i could think of is he celebrated a goal once a bit close to the Feyenoord crowd but that's it. Now if it was Sneijder i could understand it a bit.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
And of course there's that time when he tried to take on Dirk, but naturally he bounced off of Dirk's chest. :strong:

In short, VDV is a little girl and Zlatan had his wife. :D

·
Registered
22,800 Posts
Knoert said:
Arrogance.
Like i said, if it was Sneijder i would understand because it's obvious he has a more arrogant uitstraling (english? :unsure:). IMO VDV is not an arrogant person, far from it i'd say.

K®Le said:
And of course there's that time when he tried to take on Dirk, but naturally he bounced off of Dirk's chest. :strong:
well you have to admit Kuijt was waaaay to late with his tackle. Ofcourse his response wasn't good, but he was right.

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
http://www.ad.nl/sport/article1004946.ece

and in our 100th year anniversary in 2008 Borussia Dortmund, Celtic and Spurs will all be coming to big daddy :cool:as we'll be hosting all our beaten European finalists.

Shame about the tossers at Dortmund having sacked Bert or it'd have been a real great homecoming, but Celtic with Vennegoor & co and Spurs with their stars'd be worth watching.

·
Registered
40,650 Posts
Nice touch for our centennial year. :thumbsup:

I'm curious to find out what our shirt will look like, any rumours about it circulating Wally?

·
Registered
59,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
nah, dunno of any yet.

there's a centenary site on www.feyenoord100.nl btw with also a pretty neat intro video (which includes Patrick Paauwe's streep in de Arena round 1:19 :proud: ) in the new years speech page. Should come up there first when it'll be released.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts