Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sepp Blatter Consults Hockey Official As FIFA Ponder Changes To Offside Rule

Game's governing body might yet scrap offside...

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has apparently discussed the effect of scrapping the offside rule with president of the International Hockey Federation, Leandro Negre.

Hockey scrapped the offside rule in their game in 1998, and the move is generally perceived as having made the game more entertaining for spectators.

There has been speculation that FIFA could soon be planning some kind of similar rule change in football.

Negre revealed that Blatter had spoken to him informally but at length about the impact of the rule change in the sport, but did not give him a conclusive final opinion on the matter.

"He asked me a lot of questions about it and how successful it was, although he never offered an opinion, so it was difficult to judge what football might do," said Negre, according to Sky Sports.

"But he did seem very interested in how we had implemented it."

By Zack Wilson
Mar 2, 2010 12:36:00 PM

·
Proud Juventino.
20,505 Posts
Haha, matches would end 20-18 if there's no offside rule.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, it's clear Blatter doesn't know much about football.
The fact that he is considering the idea is ridiculous.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
I was really confused for a second, thought we were talking about ice hockey, where there is most definitely still an offside rule, and that is a plenty exciting game. Anyways, Blatter is ludicrous if he thinks this will actually be a good idea for the game. Furthermore, it would seriously alter tactics as we know them.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Since everyone seems to be against it, for the sake of conversation I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. I agree that it's probably a bad idea, but I also think we should at least consider the actual consequences. What the hell, some people were probably against it when they allowed substitutions too... change isn't always for the worse.

If the offside rule were abolished:
1- We would never have to complain about linesmen getting offsides wrong again. I don't think anyone would miss that aspect of the game as it currently is.
2- We would never see another 0x0 again. Final scores would immediately become higher, yes, but that's not intrinsically a bad thing.
3- Defenses would no longer be able to neutralize opposing forwards with rehearsed offside-line moves, and would have to actually block or disarm them on the ball.
4- More speedsters would become top goalscorers, and "towering" strikers would fall out of favor as teams would rely much more on outrunning their opponents than on crossing balls over the box. And by the same token, speed would become a more crucial quality for central defenders than physical strenght or heading.

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Yeah, it's clear Blatter doesn't know much about football.
The fact that he is considering the idea is ridiculous.
Exactly, this is what all the ultradefensive squads are waiting for. It would be a bomb on the game, it would change dramatically and in the wrong direction. All the teams would pack the defensive lines in their own box and we would only see long balls to the box waiting for a 2nd action.

It would be terrible.

·
40,147 Posts
Since everyone seems to be against it, for the sake of conversation I'll play devil's advocate for a moment. I agree that it's probably a bad idea, but I also think we should at least consider the actual consequences. What the hell, some people were probably against it when they allowed substitutions too... change isn't always for the worse.

If the offside rule were abolished:
1- We would never have to complain about linesmen getting offsides wrong again. I don't think anyone would miss that aspect of the game as it currently is.
We would complain about different things.

2- We would never see another 0x0 again. Final scores would immediately become higher, yes, but that's not intrinsically a bad thing.
I don't agree with you. Teams would automatically put more defenders near their own box, which makes difficult to score a goal, while it also punishes the teams who attack, who are the ones who use this rule more often.

3- Defenses would no longer be able to neutralize opposing forwards with rehearsed offside-line moves, and would have to actually block or disarm them on the ball.
Yes, less intelligent defending and more muscle... looks fantastic.

4- More speedsters would become top goalscorers, and "towering" strikers would fall out of favor as teams would rely much more on outrunning their opponents than on crossing balls over the box. And by the same token, speed would become a more crucial quality for central defenders than physical strenght or heading.
I don't agree with you either. Since the defenses would play very near their box, the speed would lose importance while the "tower" strikers will be more necessary than ever for the constant air balls that are crossed into the box.

The teams would just pack the field with tall defenders and muscle players, IMO. Because the body will be more important than ever.

Players like Xavi, Pirlo, Kaka or Iniesta would be garbage.

·
40,147 Posts
He should be concentrating his efforts on more important matters - such as how to stop thugs from breaking legs.
Not a bad idea... or the introduction of the video instead of packing the field with 6 refs as they're doing in the Europa League with terrible results (ask Galatasaray).

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
I don't agree with you either. Since the defenses would play very near their box, the speed would lose importance while the "tower" strikers will be more necessary than ever for the constant air balls that are crossed into the box.

The teams would just pack the field with tall defenders and muscle players, IMO. Because the body will be more important than ever.
Maybe, maybe not. The teams couldn't just pack a bunch of defenders close to their own box because that would inevitably create vast holes between their midfields and defenses (and even without offsides, you can't offer those spaces because you can't allow the opposition to shoot at goal or create plays in front of your goal). A better solution would be to have fast defenders who wouldn't be outpaced so easily by runners who tried to exploit counterattacks. Speed would be much more important than muscle, as it would be crucial to stop players from outrunning your defense - everyone would want defenders who are fast enough to catch up with running opponents, since you wouldn't be able to neutralize an opposing striker by simply stepping forward anymore.

Players like Xavi, Pirlo, Kaka or Iniesta would be garbage.
Why? The lack of offside would mean that players who can deliver long passes like Pirlo or Xavi would be even more precious than they are today.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Depends on which direction the change would be. Total abolition imo will never be in question as like people said it before - it would mean the game becoming more unattractive with teams packing their defenses.

But seeing FIFA´s reluctance to introduce further technical solutions like video replay then sth still must be done. The current offside rule has been left open to interpetation. As it is, there are a few false calls per game that either falsely give or take away opportunities to/from teams and you really cant blame them as its simply humanly impossible to make the right decision with 100% certainty. And to top it off, referees do interpet the rule differently, causing confusion in the players.

In that aspect, when something in the rules of the game causes that many errors a change to some direction would be good, no ? Blatter is a corrupt idiot but this shows that at least he is trying to do something other then filling his pockets.

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
Removing the offside would force the teams revert to some sort of inverted catenaccio, where the most important aspect of the game would be to rush home and play bunker defense around the own box.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. The teams couldn't just pack a bunch of defenders close to their own box because that would inevitably create vast holes between their midfields and defenses (and even without offsides, you can't offer those spaces because you can't allow the opposition to shoot at goal or create plays in front of your goal). A better solution would be to have fast defenders who wouldn't be outpaced so easily by runners who tried to exploit counterattacks. Speed would be much more important than muscle, as it would be crucial to stop players from outrunning your defense - everyone would want defenders who are fast enough to catch up with running opponents, since you wouldn't be able to neutralize an opposing striker by simply stepping forward anymore.
Yeah but moving 2-3 defenders towards your goal would make those runners useless. And you even wouldnt have to run, it would suffice if one player would just stay in opponents penalty area during the game. And about those fast defenders, the ball always beats the player in speed so it would be better to just move a tall forward into or near to the opposition´s box. Then all you´d have to do is supply him with long balls.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I think it is a good idea in principle, but it needs a slight alteration.

I have long thought that a player should only be able to be offside in their opponent's penalty area, which would eliminate the possibility of a player being declared offside only a metre inside the opposition half of the pitch, which was not the objective of the rule.

·
Registered
16,803 Posts
Someone put Blatter out of his misery. The man is an ignoramus.

Get rid of the offside trap? pfft! The art of defending would disappear. Stupid suggestion.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts