Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Parma streams took a back seat yesterday as a 19 year old American boy killed himself live on webcam, through Justin.tv
Clearly i couldn't care if the site gets shut down to be honest, my Parma streams mean nothing when a young guy's life comes to an end over the website, the game today hasn't been listed for Justin so i don't know if he's running many streams or what, all i know is that the site won't be having an easy time for the next few weeks.

http://www.examiner.com/x-274-Denve...0-people-watch-as-boy-kills-himself-on-webcam

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
This "editorial" is total crap. And if the site takes a hit for it it'll be a travesty like so many others. The guy is arguing that the people seeing it didn't raise an alarm. That's easy to say when you're equating an on-the-scene incident with something happening over a frickin web stream. For starters, how did people even know it was real? If someone's crazy enough to kill himself on cam I'm sure there's a hundred people crazy enough to put on a theatrical performance pretending to do it. Secondly, how fast would you have to intervene to save the kid? If you do believe it's for real and you alert the moderator, how long before they can trace the ip, get the local cops on it and bust his door down? You probably don't have more than a couple of hours.

Finally, there's nothing "assisted" about this suicide whatsoever. Noone helped him do it, if a guy on the street puts a gun to his head and you happen to see it that doesn't mean you helped.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they can't say that anyone helped or assisted in the guy's death, but i'm sure someone would have been able to alert emergency services quicker than they did, i mean 12 hours is a bit terrible to be honest.
I mean with the spyware nowadays the government could trace an IP in seconds, i just think it's appalling that kids turn to the internet to glorify their demise.
That's no way to go.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
ParmaScozia,
Come on! Why should we not watch Parma games because someone killed himself? Suicide is unfortunately very common in this world and it just makes no sense to think like you. It's not their fault. And it has nothing to do with Parma.

You can be sad for that guy if you want, but please be aware that thousands of other people around the world also killed themselves during these days...

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
What's his death got to do with the site? He could have easily have gone on to a busy street if he wanted a public suicide. He choose the internet. What are you going to do? Demolish and shut down streets because someone decides to take their own life on them? No. Shouldn't be any different if it's on the world wide web. A period of reflection is understandable though and if that means no football streams for a short while then there you go. Life is tough sometimes.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
That's a terrible sad tragedy:sob::depress:,maybe it's like a mourning sort of thing well it's hard to link the site with the boy's sad death.It's just a sad coincidence that he done it on there,be it done it at all R.I.P anyway and I hope Parma's games can be quickly streamed asap.:hopeful:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ParmaScozia,
Come on! Why should we not watch Parma games because someone killed himself? Suicide is unfortunately very common in this world and it just makes no sense to think like you. It's not their fault. And it has nothing to do with Parma.

You can be sad for that guy if you want, but please be aware that thousands of other people around the world also killed themselves during these days...
Wowowowow wait a minute, i didn't say anything about it being the site's fault, that's what i can't understand... how can people blame the site, it's not their fault he killed himself on webcam through their site, what im saying is that the people watching it could have at least done something about it a little quicker.
They can't blame the website, that's crazy.. i'm just saying i wouldn't be too fussed if they shut the site down though, but it wouldn't stop other webcam sites going about their day the same way.
The people in the chatroom would have had at least a feeling he was for real considering what happened to the british guy last year who hanged himself on webcam, i just think that there's some pretty sick people out there on the internet, just look at comments on any youtube video, you get people saying ohh it's a shame cisse's leg didn't get amputated, that'd be funny... that's sick if you ask me..
The guy had bi-polar disorder anyway, so it wasn't much of a shock to the people who knew him, but i don't understand why you'd wanna kill yourself on the internet?

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
The people in the chatroom would have had at least a feeling he was for real considering what happened to the british guy last year who hanged himself on webcam,
A lot of people simply don't believe what a random guy in Internet says, or even what he shows via a webcam.

This "editorial" is total crap. And if the site takes a hit for it it'll be a travesty like so many others. The guy is arguing that the people seeing it didn't raise an alarm. That's easy to say when you're equating an on-the-scene incident with something happening over a frickin web stream. For starters, how did people even know it was real? If someone's crazy enough to kill himself on cam I'm sure there's a hundred people crazy enough to put on a theatrical performance pretending to do it.
Exactly. Seriously, if some random guy on XT posts a thread about how he is going to kill himself, how many of us believe him? Very few, if any, I would venture.

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
Read bout this in the newspaper today, shocking really. Apparently he also told everyone on bodybuilding.com about how he planned to commit suicide but nobody took him seriously. It's just sad really. It's in no way Justin.tv's fault because if this guy was willing to kill himself he would have found a way and a place to do it whether justin.tv was around or not. But yeah its terrible that no-one took him seriously but I also can't blame them.
I'm sure Justin.tv will take the fall for this undeservedly but whatever, it's just an extremely sad situation.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i heard he had threatened to do it before as well, who would believe someone like that?

It's just easy to blame the website but it isn't the right way to go about it.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
I post on the same website. Please get your facts right before you assume anything, the website has nothing to do with.

·
Missing Guidolin.
21,157 Posts
Who's blaming the website?
I'm sorry, fifteen pints of beer reads things differently. It wasn't a hit on you Scozia, but just in generel. The website is getting so much crap it's ridiculous -bb.com that is - some kid wanted to kill himself, he did, it's over.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah i know it's crazy they're blaming the site over it, i mean it was just by chance that Justintv was the site he used, he would have died regardless, i just think that cause he did it on the net it's easy to point the finger at the internet as usual.
I just hate how the world moves so fast but yet when something goes wrong, everyone blames the amazing new things that make the world a better place.
I still think the site is gonna take the fall for it, but i'm not bothered if it does though, cause another one will pop up...
If the moderators of the chatroom had kicked the guy when he started talking suicidal, people would say that's their fault and they'd be shot down for it, but if they don't.. they still get the blame, it's a lose lose situation.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a load of crap really. But we'll lose our streams and so will millions more if the site goes down.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
Having said all that, it's not like we have much ground to stand on, seeing as all these streams are highly illegal anyway :pp

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hahaa truee..

·
Registered
10,639 Posts
It's fine they never worked for me anyway. :pp
Perhaps this will give someone else the initiative to start a new video streaming site, one which I can actually use!

Haha and Dean, lay off the booze. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts