Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,
i was just wandering, but lately our attacking department has changed a lot imo.
lot of new guys like toni , gilardino & bazzini enter the national team scene...
that's all great if they perform of course, but still i have doubts.

i, for one, liked the partnership of pippo & bobo very much... we played them quite a lot in the EURO 2004 qualification games; with great succes... (yugoslavia, and of course the wales game with pippo's hattrick :shades: )

but now, with inzaghi being injured for almost 18 months now, and vieri being a shadow of himself this season, i can't see them in the national team anymore...
moreover, they are both born in 1973, which makes them almost 32 years old...

what are your thoughts? should we really give up on them, and go with the new guys?

i'ts really depressing to see 2 such a goalscorers leave :depress:
together they were sooooo great!
too bad that in wc 2002 trap kept playing with solo super striker vieri,
and in euro 2004 almost the same (but then we had a crap vieri ;) )
euro 2000 not to mention, cuz then vieri was out, and we had an totti-inzaghi partnership which was also quite effective :cool:

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Yes, Vieri and Inzaghi are goners. Even if they play to a decent level in today's game, we are doing an injustice to Italian teams 5, 10 years down the road by playing Vieri and Inzaghi regularly. A purpose of a NT is to play to one's potential all the time; however, at the same time, one has a responsibility to cream the youngsters and ensure they are ready for top-level play in a few years. So, not only are players such as Toni and Gilardino and even etc etc better than Vieri and Inzaghi, but they are also our future, and we must ensure that we have the maximum chance of winning in the future. We can only ride the great 90s defense for so long. Maldini has left, Cannavaro will soon be gone, and Nesta will be out in 7-8 years. We must also ensure that players other than those get a chance in the NT as well, which baffles me b/c of Matrix's chances, but at the same time, we must ensure that there are quality backups for those players as well in the form of Matrix and that they are ready for 06. If Nesta or Canna fails by injur, we cannot go down with them. Same with Vieri and Inzagh, not that it mattters.

·
Registered
251 Posts
totally agree with u pulsar, we need to look to the future, vieri and inzaghi have had there chance with the azzurri.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
It's a catch 22 you play the youngsters to mature and you have the pick of experienced players performing also.It's tough but I'm with the youngsters alot they need to be blooded into the National frame to get their feet wet.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Vieri and Inzaghi are almost finished, they should concentrate on club level now. Italy have got a brilliant young talent like Gilardino Cassano Toni etc.. They are performing well recently in their clubs and also when they got a chance in NT. Vieri and Inzaghi both can still play but it would be much better that they shud give the chance to the younsters. Every strong team at the moment is just becoz of the younsters. For example Portugal , England ,Brazil. So Italy should also bring its young talent in front to compete against these sides and more importantly for the upcoming World cup.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Indeed this is the best way for future!!
We all loved Vieri, & Pippo as well.. But we need to build up our selves in a better way, to learn from our previous mistakes, & to grow-up!!
We should wish for the Cassano-Gilardino partnership now to be 100% ready to strike!! Im very optimistic of these two, & i hope Lippi sees it the same way too
Cassano-Gilardino will be ready WC2006, so lets wait & see!!

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
I think Inzaghi is definately gone now. Not only for Italy, but also Milan, his recent injuries may be too much for a player of his age.

as for vieri, i think its important that lippi doesnt forget him. Gilardino should be first right now, and of course Montella who seems to still have good form. but others like bazzani and toni still have a lot more to prove and i dont see them being real concrete strikers for the NT.

Also, when you have Cassano and Gilardino, you wouldnt expect teh likes of vieri, inzaghi and even del piero to feature for italy anymore.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts