Xtratime Community banner

1581 - 1598 of 1598 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I know we are saying we need good defenders but who is even on the market right now?
To answer your question tho we have only been rumored with 2 players I've seen so far ( it is extremely early tho )

Cristián Zapata - AC Milan CB free agent this summer, just coming back from a long injury and unused in abysmal AC Milan, tho he is an NT regular and his nation fans are fond of him

and

Neven Subotić - Dortmund CB also coming off a long injury and way out form at his club.

That is all I have seen so far, but there is about 8 ligs in south America and 15 in Europe filled with potential CBs we could be scouting.

If I was a hired scout and could devote 8 hours a day 5-6 days a week I'm sure I could give you a pretty big list

Tho I have confidence in this board so let's see who they come up with throughout this summer

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We are also being linked with Serdar Aziz*

And not a CB and doubtful but Nuri as well, tho do we really want a player as injury prone as him

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
No clue about skrtel

But I think if we can get him for a reasonable we should try to get Ahmet Calik, as a turkish defender. Young and has been decent since that U21 world cup he did well in

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Any truth to the news that you all want Skrtel??

He's definitely gonna be available
More and more news coming out that we are close to transfering him, hope he isn't injury prone!

And Dick head Mario Gomez blocked the 1 year loan option ensuring he would be a free transfer to us, and now wants to stay meaning we have to agree a transfer fee with his current club....

Also we are once again being linked with goalkeepers so Boyko may have been a complete waste

On top of that we are being linked with dozen of youth players with some pretty decent names in the list looks like the board is staying true so far to there policy

Kaan Ayhan is on that list, if even possible he would be a great transfer he play like 4 different positions, as well as Emre Mor is on the list

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I don't want us to sign Skrtel. He might be a good player but he's prone to defensive blunders and is past his prime. Mario Gomez was great this season, but not worth the money his transfer fee and wages will cost us. I said from the beginning that Boyko and Marcelo were not good choices owing to their poor defensive record in Ukraine the season we got them.

Please no more 30-year-olds FFS, enough already. Let's get some younger names, keep them, and build them up for at least two or three seasons in the league and UEFA tourneys. Then they can be sold for a profit or kept on..

We can't depend on some untested youth players in the ****ing Champions league. We need somebody with some talent. Funny thing is that Liverpool's defense ****ing up a penalty is what let us advance last Champions league.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
We can't depend on some untested youth players in the ****ing Champions league. We need somebody with some talent. Funny thing is that Liverpool's defense ****ing up a penalty is what let us advance last Champions league.
That was Europa League, not CL. None the less age doesn't specify talent...if that was the case Fener would of trashed us in the tittle race this season. Even Man City nwe coach is getting rid of all his old defenders Kompany and all and planing to bring in Jon stones, and Aymeric Laporte as the teams CB duo, which both of them are only 21 years old. Even Athletico Madrid having a Starting CB that's only 21 years old Jose Gimenze and they are playing in the CL final.

A good player is a good player, regardless of age. We stagnate as a football nation due to overly ambitious ego's 1 glimpse of success and now we need a team filled with 30-35 year old super stars MLS style and it always back fires.

We brought in Tore and Ozzy at young ages, 2 years later they are our best players

Having maybe 1-3 older players in the starting line upfor leadership roles is ok but apart from that it just cause issues on the pitch

·
Master Debater
20,651 Posts
Having maybe 1-3 older players in the starting line upfor leadership roles is ok but apart from that it just cause issues on the pitch
:thumbsup:

We do need some leadership out there so having a few of them, especially one at CB does help.

But BJK are not a team with the type of financial power to consistently purchase ready made products and expect to compete for any extended period of time.

So we need to think long term and not go nuts with transfers just because we're in the champions league. I don't mind going out there and getting a few prospects. If they work out great, if not it's not the end of the world. Nobody is going to pressure this club to go deep in the champions league. We should continue to build this team how we've been building it over the past 3-4 years.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Was watching this with my heart pounding the whole way throughout, praying that you guys avoided group C! LOL

BJK landed in group B which is as follows:

BENFICA
NAPOLI
DINAMO KIEV
BESIKTAS

Not a bad group to be honest! all teams are beatable in this group, pretty good eve group imo

·
Müdür müdür müdür
8,433 Posts
Not bad at all. Napoli and benfica are better than us but definitely wouldnt be a huge upset for us to beat them. Kiev is probably on our level. So top 2 is not too far from reach.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
CL Match schedule

13 Sept 2016 - Tues
Benfica-BEŞİKTAŞ
Dinamo Kiev-Napoli

28 Sept 2016 Wed
BEŞİKTAŞ-Dinamo Kiev
Napoli-Benfica

19 Oct 2016 Wed
Napoli-BEŞİKTAŞ