Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Barcelona president hints at Davids interest
tribalfootball.com - January 7, 2004

Barcelona president Joan Laporta played it cool yesterday when asked about the possibility of signing Juventus midfielder Edgar Davids.
The Dutchman is believed to have been offered to Barca on a six-month loan. Asked about the reports, Laporta said: "I like great football and great players and I am trying to bring many of them to this club."

He added, "There are some interesting names on the winter market. If our coaches ask us to sign a player - and we can afford to - then we will try. But its important we analyze it thoroughly as we believe our squad is strong enough to fulfill the first part of our project."

·
Registered
59,023 Posts
Would be a good move for him IMO.:) Barcelona are in dire straits and if Davids plays well, he'll be seen as the saviour and a folk hero by the socios. Plus I don't think XAvi and Iniesta really are top notch midfielders. Problem could be the unpredictability of Spanish referees :dazed:

·
Registered
22,487 Posts
Carson35 said:
Barcelona president hints at Davids interest
tribalfootball.com - January 7, 2004

Barcelona president Joan Laporta played it cool yesterday when asked about the possibility of signing Juventus midfielder Edgar Davids.
The Dutchman is believed to have been offered to Barca on a six-month loan. Asked about the reports, Laporta said: "I like great football and great players and I am trying to bring many of them to this club."

He added, "There are some interesting names on the winter market. If our coaches ask us to sign a player - and we can afford to - then we will try. But its important we analyze it thoroughly as we believe our squad is strong enough to fulfill the first part of our project."

huh? I thought Barca wants to get rid of the dutch players? And now they think about buying new ones?
Well, anyway.... if he leaves Juve- and it looks as if he will surely do that- Barca is a good adress for him. He fits into spanish football and I wish him all the best there. He is not one of my favourites (there is something about his behavior I somehow dislike) , but mostly he did a good job for Juve and for that I accept him.

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
There are some Dutch players there are playing good, and some there aren't.
I think it will be a wise decision if Rijkaard gets rid of Reiziger and Overmars in the Summer, Cocu will most likely go since his contract will expire, and he looks very worn out. Kluivert might stay with Barcelona again, if no big English team wants to buy him. I'm not sure how much he is going to cost. And van Bronckhorst will probably go back to Arsenal, but it would be better if he stayed with Barcelona, because he has bigger chances of playing with the Spanish team then he does in London. Where he'll probably end up sitting on the bench again, coz Ashley Cole can't be played out of the team.
Davids will strengthen the midfield I think, but I don't think it's the ideal players that Barcelona need right now. I'm thinking more of someone like van der Vaart, but I don't know why Ronaldinho and Saviola can't be the creative geniuses in the team.

·
Registered
59,023 Posts
Decided to make a new thread out of this since the ammount of stuff from there deserves to get more than a little mention in the news and rumours section :)

----------------------

As for what I think should happen with them:

Kluivert - should move. As Bazman said, there is a lightlihood, he'll stay with the wages thing. But if he moves to England I can honestly see him being an instant hit in a league which has LOYAL fans and not white hanky and booing socios :yuck: best place for him to go imo would be Arsenal, since at Man U he'd form a combiantion with Ruud and we;ve seen how they don't gell together for oranje. Can't see any other club in England getting him. Chelsea have enough forwards unless they do a Hasselbaink - Kluivert swap, that could work for both sides.

Cocu - stay till the end of the season then go to PSV or maybe a middenmotor in the premiership like Manchester City. STill has something in him but not for the real top. Not surprisin at the age of 33.

Reiziger - Not the most talented but I like him since he is an honest professional. Should move too, to a club like Man City which he rejected a year ago, if he wants to find his level but staying at Barcelona and being a squad player is not too bad either.

Overmars - doesn't seem to be used often at Barcelona :eek: he should stay imo but if chances lack, he is better off moving to a nice club like Man City again (boy I love them :howler: ) He is near retiring imo after his injury problems. Seems to find it hard to play for 90 minutes.

Van Bronkhorst - cancel his contract at Arsenal and loan at Barcelona and go to PSV or Feyenoord. Moved way too early from Feyenoord and hasn't developed as he should. A move to a smaller club would do him good and he should play as a left midfielder like at Feyenoord and Rangers, not as a wingback where he looks out of his depth.

Davids at Barcelona would be an instant hit as I said before :) would be their 3rd best player after Ronaldinho and Puyol :cool:

V

·
0 Posts
Every team wanted to have Davids, because he is beside Vieira the best defensive midfielder in the world.

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Vinnie 1983 said:
Every team wanted to have Davids, because he is beside Vieira the best defensive midfielder in the world.
Even though Davids has more footballing qualities, Keane is better imo. His value to the team is much higher than Edgar's who can have good or bad days PLUS a bad temper.

Still good on his day though :)

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
I think that especially Overmars' and Kluiverts' careers and reputation has taken a downfall thanks to Barcelona.

Overmars was very good in England, one of Arsenal's best player, and in his first two seasons with the club he was one of the best wingers in the world. But also at that time, Barcelona was still a better team than Arsenal in Europe.

Barcelona beat Arsenal 4-2 at Wembley in the Champions League in the 99-2000 season, it was an impressive victory, maybe it gave Overmars the impression that Barcelona was an absolute European top club, with whom the Champions League could be won.

After three seasons at Barcelona he hasn't won any European prizes and is currently playing in the UEFA Cup.
I think it's definitely ruined his career a bit, as it all turned out to be somewhat of a big disappointment.

·
Registered
460 Posts
hey :D
my opinion about this is that we need davids because he can give strenght to our midfield and get a lot of balls back to us when players like xavi (who i personately hate because he's the greatest example of that almost all catalans play in the 1st team just because they're catalans) loose it..iniesta is a different kind of player..he has a lot of vision & posses a great sacrifice spirit..he's capable to give amazing passes to kluivert or saviola..the problem is he never plays so we can't see him very often..
and about dutch players in Barça...i have to say i've admired them all (except bogarde) because they have enough commitment, professionalism & strenght to take the most unfair critiques, mostly because of their nationality (related to our trauma with van gaal)..there's some who played good, some who didn't have enough oportunities and some who haven't had any passion for the game, who have been very few..anyway, i really hope we can keep hiring dutch players specially a great boy from ajax :D :tongue:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
delpi_vanni_10 said:
huh? I thought Barca wants to get rid of the dutch players? And now they think about buying new ones?
That's true... It's not very coerent... :rolleyes:
Well, anyway.... if he leaves Juve- and it looks as if he will surely do that- Barca is a good adress for him. He fits into spanish football and I wish him all the best there.
I agree, i'm sure he can do good things for Barça. He was one of my fav players, I became a football fan because of him (and other Juve players)!! It would be difficult for me... he was somehow a symbol of Juve for me.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wally said:
Kluivert - should move. As Bazman said, there is a lightlihood, he'll stay with the wages thing. But if he moves to England I can honestly see him being an instant hit in a league which has LOYAL fans and not white hanky and booing socios :yuck: best place for him to go imo would be Arsenal, since at Man U he'd form a combiantion with Ruud and we;ve seen how they don't gell together for oranje. Can't see any other club in England getting him. Chelsea have enough forwards unless they do a Hasselbaink - Kluivert swap, that could work for both sides.
I totally agree. If he has to change, I'd like him in Arsenal, perhaps the best team for his qualities. Wenger should be a good coach for him. I'd see him very well there, but I heard Arsenal has no money...

Reiziger - Not the most talented but I like him since he is an honest professional. Should move too, to a club like Man City which he rejected a year ago, if he wants to find his level but staying at Barcelona and being a squad player is not too bad either.
I agree again... I'd see him in an English team like Man City... I'd prefer him not to stay in Barça, England should be better for him as for Kluivert.

Overmars - doesn't seem to be used often at Barcelona :eek: he should stay imo but if chances lack, he is better off moving to a nice club like Man City again (boy I love them :howler: ) He is near retiring imo after his injury problems. Seems to find it hard to play for 90 minutes.
Yeah, in fact he's injured in these days... IMO he should move in England.

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
chivu said:
All of them should go. Nothing to win in the near feature at Barca. Only reputations to lose.
So my powers as FM are not enough to be listened to (yet?). Edje seems to be on his way. The clubs have already agreed a deal. Can he spice up the wimps there?

·
Registered
59,023 Posts
hehe

I actually think Barcelona can only become better with him unless they do something to him like what they did to Emmanuel Petit by playing him as a central defender :howler:

·
Banned
1,806 Posts
Petit's career has been completed ruined by Barcelona. Largely thanks to the fact that they made him play in defence.
Davids's ought to know what he's getting himself into. And nobody takes anything seriously anymore of what Cruyff "knowitall" says :rolleyes:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Wally said:
hehe

I actually think Barcelona can only become better with him unless they do something to him like what they did to Emmanuel Petit by playing him as a central defender :howler:
yes, but there's an explanation for it..we had serra ferrer as coach in that time (the worst ever!! even worse than van gaal's last season)..plus petit played in central defence only at the beggining..he played a not despreciable amount of games in his correct place..i always thought he never gave what a Barça player has to give on the pitch

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I think Davids also needs a club that can play him frequently. If not, he will miss Euro 2004. He needs a club that also really needs him.

He must move to a club that has great reputation, at least. And Barca is a club that has a great reputation. The only Barca has now is its reputation. I hope that he can help Barca, and help the Dutch national team also.

·
Registered
12,740 Posts
And the Dutch colony is going to be expanded...

Stupid Barça, it seems they still don't know Dutchmen can't solve their problems, van Gaal, Rijkaard, Hoek, Bogarde, Overmars, Reiziger, Kluivert, van Bronckhorst, Zenden, De Boer(s), Witschge etc. Doesn't that say enough?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts