Xtratime Community banner

761 - 780 of 788 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #761
I did say and obviously still believe we overpay him massively. He earn at least twice what he should if we compare him to other players in the league/team.
We might have overrated him, but the overpay is still a more than decent deal for us if we can sell him for a lot of money instead of allowing him to leave for free. Even if we were indeed paying him double of what we should, that would be what, 4-6 million Euros "too many" over a couple of seasons? And we'll be making no less than 40 million if we sell him.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Not sure anybody who has watched our matches this season would want to pay anything close to the figures we saw last summer. If we forget about his age and focus on performances, he has been very unimpressive. The errors are one thing, the miserable control of the ball worries me a lot more as a modern keeper needs to be able to play football.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
There's a few shots I felt he could have done better but I don't know if I would call this season unimpressive it was more ok then anything else. But he is only 18 you are allowed to have a bad year or feel a bit uneasy but overall the talent is there that much is evident and lol i see some Kalinic defenders are quick to take shots at donnarumma.

ps. If i got over Kaka being sold I can handle donna being sold but nothing under 80million or at least 60mill with some strong clauses tied to the sale ie. 25% on his next sale etc.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
60-80? Lol. I would take 30 and run. At the moment I think it’s more likely he’ll be sitting on the bench at Torino in 5 years time than he’ll be at a top club.

I may have just been unlucky with the matches I’ve seen with him but he he has made me miss the likes of Storari and the 38-year-old Abbiati.

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
Not sure anybody who has watched our matches this season would want to pay anything close to the figures we saw last summer. If we forget about his age and focus on performances, he has been very unimpressive. The errors are one thing, the miserable control of the ball worries me a lot more as a modern keeper needs to be able to play football.

I think his performances have been mixed this season. At times he's been great and made some huge saves. At other times he's made some poor errors. He's been inconsistent as opposed to consistently poor. For a teenager that's not too bad at all. We have young players that are a bit older that have had some bad patches and got past them to show development, such as Calabria and Romagnoli. So let's see how he fares over the long term.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Agreed Rod. We should not focus too much on his age though and expect him to become 3 times the keeper he is today. It’s more likely he’s just precocious. 5 % of these young super talents turn out to be Buffons, the rest Adus.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
60-80? Lol. I would take 30 and run. At the moment I think it’s more likely he’ll be sitting on the bench at Torino in 5 years time than he’ll be at a top club.

I may have just been unlucky with the matches I’ve seen with him but he he has made me miss the likes of Storari and the 38-year-old Abbiati.
30 Million really? That's a terrible valuation lol. These days 30 million won't buy you anything long gone are the days were you sell based on performance now it's all about potential. This guy has been a starter since he was 16 guys his age are rotting away in primavera's around the world. Trust me PSG will pay 80 million no need to sell ourselves short I believe Napoli rejected 15 million offer for Reina from PSG in the summer just saying lol.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #768
There's a lot in between Buffon and Adu, though. If he' turns out at least an Abbiati we'd be okay if it was not for the huge salary: he'd be good enough to play for us for many years, but also it would be a steal if we got a shitload of money from him. You also just reminded how amazing Abbiati seemed early in his career.

I do think Donna can become a very good keeper, and indeed Italy's number one, but very likely not as good as 99% of people expected. He really was the most hyped young player in the world last year, and that comes with a premium, with potential for good (if we sell him for a ton of money or keep him and he performs) or bad (if we're stuck with his huge salaries and he does not perform).

A lot will have to do with his head, which unfortunately doesn't look too solid. The hype also means exposure and opportunities. Being tagged as the most promising player out there and Buffon's heir obviously opens a world of opportunities, including some that mean he's exposed to incredible challenges for a player his age. That can lead to growth or to massive burnout. I'd say the jury is still out, but I too expected better.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
30 Million really? That's a terrible valuation lol. These days 30 million won't buy you anything long gone are the days were you sell based on performance now it's all about potential. This guy has been a starter since he was 16 guys his age are rotting away in primavera's around the world. Trust me PSG will pay 80 million no need to sell ourselves short I believe Napoli rejected 15 million offer for Reina from PSG in the summer just saying lol.
I will trust you Mr C and look forward to the 80M ;)

·
Registered
19,795 Posts
He is obviously very talented. But being a good goalkeeper means being mentally well (and I don't mean sane because many good gks in the past were insane :D) which he doesn't seem to be at the moment. I think he suffers a lot from the pressure from the saga his manager created.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G955F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
There's a few shots I felt he could have done better but I don't know if I would call this season unimpressive it was more ok then anything else. But he is only 18 you are allowed to have a bad year or feel a bit uneasy but overall the talent is there that much is evident and lol i see some Kalinic defenders are quick to take shots at donnarumma.

ps. If i got over Kaka being sold I can handle donna being sold but nothing under 80million or at least 60mill with some strong clauses tied to the sale ie. 25% on his next sale etc.
A goalkeeper is being discussed yet you can't resist mentioning Kalinic. Lol! This guy really has your ball. Just calm it, you'll see it's not not that serious.

·
Super Moderator
13,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #773
Yeah it's safe to say this is a clear instance in which the agent surely helped the player's immediate economic prospects, but might have jeopardized his long-term prospects. I guess it was the safe bet in the sense that he gets millions of Euros whatever happens, but certainly not a strategy that implies any kind of vision of his development.

This is a guy who could have been groomed and gained confidence in a place where everybody was willing to be patient with him, but also with high enough expectations and a very high roof. Rebuilding Milan with fresh cash really was in many ways a dream scenario for a young player like him. Instead, he got a summer of money thrown at him, fans understandably turning against him, now his older brother's livelihood essentially depends on his performances, lots of scrutiny, and he is just under much more pressure than was ever necessary.

Despite all that, IMO the best scenario for him still probably is to remain at Milan. I do think if he moves to "bigger clubs" he might end going the way of Balotelli, Cassano, etc. A couple of bad performances like's he's recently had while a millionaire signing at PSG, Real Madrid, Liverpool, etc., and he might be ****ed for a long time. Not everybody can do a Van der Sar or De Gea and come back from failure or doubts at that level. But Raiola has a lot to gain from a move or two, and he seems to hold deep sway with the kid, so that will probably happen sooner rather than later. Plus we might just need to sell.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Yashimi Nakitu said:
He is obviously very talented. But being a good goalkeeper means being mentally well (and I don't mean sane because many good gks in the past were insane ) which he doesn't seem to be at the moment. I think he suffers a lot from the pressure from the saga his manager created.
The stereotype that keepers are a bit insane, love that one! Must have heard it the first time when I was 4-5 and of course still believe it to be true :D

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Despite all that, IMO the best scenario for him still probably is to remain at Milan. I do think if he moves to "bigger clubs" he might end going the way of Balotelli, Cassano, etc. A couple of bad performances like's he's recently had while a millionaire signing at PSG, Real Madrid, Liverpool, etc., and he might be ****ed for a long time. Not everybody can do a Van der Sar or De Gea and come back from failure or doubts at that level. But Raiola has a lot to gain from a move or two, and he seems to hold deep sway with the kid, so that will probably happen sooner rather than later. Plus we might just need to sell.
I definitely agree there but I don't think his agent has his best interest at heart this slime ball is just upset he couldn't move him for free this summer. But the ball is in our court we got fleeced all summer long last year no reason we can't do the same to others.

·
Registered
23,863 Posts
his ball control is the smallest problem. He is much better with his feet than Buffon for example. Difference being that we play the ball through him much more than Juve ever used Buffon. I think Donnarumma is pretty decent with his feet and if anything he is put in difficult situations as bit to often by his teammates as we get pressed back and keep on passing...

The most worrying parts is how he mix good saves with not so good ones. IMO of course.

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
How's Plizzari doing? Any hope from that angle?

Plizzari should be promoted if Donna is gone. The good thing is Gatusso have first hand experience during his charge at Primavera.
Reina sort out our party blend for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

761 - 780 of 788 Posts