Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 788 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pretty radical move by Mihajlovic to bench the experienced Diego López for a sixteen-year-old to debut in a must-win match... But so far it seems to have worked. We did get our first clean sheet with Donnarumma on goal last week.

At 16, he is probably five years younger than the average young goalkeepers who gets a chance. And he hasn't looked out of place.

Now, is he really a massive talent that Mihajlovic has discovered and showed the courage to play? Or is it just a desperate move? Or maybe just an attempt to put some pressure on López and see him back to form in a few weeks?

We have not had anything remotely similar since Abbiati's rise under Zac probably. It sure beats seeing the likes of Amelia. I really hope this post will be the start of a long thread and not another jinx-suspicious one. In any case, this is exciting, and yet another reason to watch our games with some hope.

Here are some interesting links with different perspectives on this:

http://www.gazzetta.it/calcio/nuove-forze-calcio/29-10-2015/milan-chievo-seconda-presenza-donnarumma-difesa-imbattuta-conferma-mihajlovic-esordio-130699277367.shtml?refresh_ce-cp

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/oct/29/gianluigi-donnarumma-milan-goalkeeper

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/features/not-so-sweet-16-milan-keeper-donnarumma-highlights-his-clubs-sorry-state#:MJTUGqhD-39QqA

http://www.espnfc.com/ac-milan/story/2686338/gianluigi-donnarumma-sr-praises-ac-milan-boss-mihajlovic

http://www.transfermarkt.com/gianluigi-donnarumma/profil/spieler/315858

·
Registered
15,579 Posts
IMO this is a premature thread. The only real time he was tested was the Berardi free kick and that one didn't go well. But other than that he has had very little to do in the games.

He does seem quick and with a good positioning sense but I'm yet to see him make a great save.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I agree with brick, it's a bit premature. I only watched the second half against Chievo & I can only remember the save against Paloschi & the horrible timing at the end but he was bailed out by the ref. I watched highlights & the guy definitely has the potential, but he's damn 16. Let him be, ease off the pressure & let's hope he turns to be the keeper we think he could be. In all honesty, I don't think his run will end in a good way if he keeps the starting job for the long haul, not necessarily his fault, could be another drubbing like Napoli's...

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Donnarumma's agent, Raiola:

If the club can return to its international appeal, I think he can be Milan’s new Buffon. That’s what we’re all hoping for.

If the crisis were to continue at Milan though, other decisions could be taken. Not just by the player, but by the club, as they did a few years ago with [Zlatan] Ibra[himovic] and Thiago Silva.

That is to say, if you believe you have an important product, then you can try to sell it.

We’re thinking positively though, we believe Milan will return to the Champions League and he’ll be the Rossoneri goalkeeper for the next 20 years like Buffon has done at Juve.

Worry not guys. His agent, Raiola, has already a plan in place for him

·
Administrator
52,351 Posts
Its the same Raiola :pp

And way too premature indeed. He is very very young. But Brick put it well, you should get hyped when you gotten the opportunity to show you are real phenomenom besides your age bit. He hasnt been tested for real yet. The flawed moments more noticeable in the two games. Berardi goal was not impressive (was fooled by wall placement, should be able to read this type of tricks with time), neither was the poor handling in disallowed Chievo goal. But he will for sure have more opportunities to show if he can hack it and grow with experience. Its not like Miha has much to lose. Milan conceaded alot of goals with Diego Lopez in charge, so a shake up was needed, even if this was a fairly shocking one.

I'm more impressed by that Calabria kid the times he gotten the chances. Biggest surprise, plays really mature, good defending and something that is nowadays rare, football IQ plus a good cross.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Agreed on Calabria, I hope we can hold on to him. On Donnarumma, I am excited for the future, but the point has been made and it is time to give Lopez back his starting position.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Of course it's premature. That's why it's fun and why we can dream. The kid still broke an all-time age record is getting lots of attention. And he is called Gianluigi for ****s sake.

He might turn out crap or just not work out and you can say again too premature and even that I jinxed it. Or it might indeed very likely be a move to get Lopez to get back to form. But also he might turn out a good long term useful player or even legend, and then it was still premature but I'm a visionary ;) (or I just read the sports paper more likely and bought the hype). I enjoy that this is at least some kind of possibility. Even far-fetched hope deserves a thread in present-day Milan. This might be the FM player in me, but to me this is more exciting than most of what we have week in week out.

·
Super Moderator
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Agreed on Calabria too by the way

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Was impressed with Donnaruma since the pre season. Hope we dont ruin him, otherwise he will be top 5 gk in the world.

·
Registered
15,427 Posts
This current hype and exposure will benefit the kid and his agent when it comes to courting with clubs that are interested in taking him on loan. This should happen during the winter mercato. Let him get some regular game time at a smaller club, where there is less chance that the expectation and pressures will have a negative effect on him.

·
Registered
23,863 Posts
Legend. 3 games, 3 wins.

Feels game against Lazio is insecure, takes out Alex for Mexes. Mexes score 2 minutes later. :musik:

1 - 20 of 788 Posts