Xtratime Community banner

Who's right, and who's wrong?

• Diego Souza is right: Jorge Henrique is a shameless diver, and Mano should STFU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • They're both wrong, and there's no such thing as violence or diving in Brasilian football

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Act 1: Following the Palmeiras vs Corinthians derby, and regarding a foul that Palmeiras' centreback Danilo committed on Corinthians' forward Jorge Henrique, Palmeiras' attacking midfielder Diego Souza accused Jorge Henrique of being a diver (or in Brasilian football lingo, a "Cai-Cai"). On the link above there's a video where you can see the obvious foul that Danilo committed, in case you missed it.
Here's a brief translation of what Diego said:
- It could have been a red-card foul. If it had happened on someone else, he (Danilo) might have been sent off, but Jorge Henrique is a player who falls down all the time. He has created penalties where nobody touched him. The whole time he's falling down. He falls here, he falls there. Maybe that influenced (the ref).

Act 2: Two days later Jorge Henrique hit back, accusing Diego Souza of being a violent player:
- Again Diego Souza with that story? It's getting ridiculous! He should worry about attacking fellow professionals, inside and outside the pitch, and playing football instead. (...) If I fall down or not it's my problem, but he should think twice about elbowing or punching fellow players. He hits people just as well as he plays.

Act 3: Corinthians' respected manager Mano Menezes offers his opinion about the controversy:
- Jorge henrique falls down, yes, but most of the time it's because he can't stand up after being hit. He's one of the most fouled players in the competition. Anyone who wants to see, look at the marks on his legs. (...) We should respect individual characteristics and let the referees decide. Jorge has his characteristics, and so does Diego. Come to think of it, Fabricio (from Cruzeiro) already explained those characteristics very well.

(Mano is only half right about Jorge Henrique being the most fouled player: In this year's Brasilian League, Jorge Henrique suffered 107 fouls in 33 rounds. He's the most fouled Corinthians player, but overall he's only the second most fouled player: he loses to Muriqui, from Avai, who suffered 125 fouls)

The reference to Fabricio's comments dates back to September, when Cruzeiro's DM Fabricio accused Diego Souza of punching, elbowing and kicking opposing players.

Act 4: Diego Souza decides not to respond to Mano Menezes' veiled accusation, and instead plays the victim:
- I was very surprised to hear him (Mano) say that he agrees with Fabricio. Mano was my manager once and I respect him a lot. He always gave me incentive, but now he's on the other side. As a manager, he can't say such things. He might damage my career, and he should reconsider what he said.
--------------------------------------

I personally found Diego's whiny complaints a bit funny; Diego certainly didn't mind saying "damaging" things about Jorge Henrique, but he objects when a respected manager says that he agrees with Jorge Henrique? When Fabricio and Jorge Henrique accused Diego of being a violent player, he answered by saying that he "won't play like a girl" even if his opponents don't like his style. Of course, maybe BOTH Jorge and Diego are right; one could perfectly well argue that many of the 107 fouls Jorge suffered never happened in the first place, and were just successful dives.

So I want your opinion on this: Who's right and who's wrong? Are they both right? Are they both wrong, and should try to get along? :D

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
Diego Souza should not even be playing football this year to say anything about violence.

·
Registered
33,807 Posts
Granted I've seen Jorge Henrique only a handful of times, but in some of the games he went down pretty easily. So I voted that they're both right, though I admit that it's not the most informed opinion. ;)

·
Bernard > Messi
2,687 Posts
lol?

if Romarinho's leg were 'fixed' on the ground we would have see the same injury that happened to eduardo costa.

It doesn't matter if he dived before. Danilo almost broke his leg so Diego "elbow" Souza needs to STFU.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Diego Souza should not even be playing football this year to say anything about violence.
Diego Souza was always perdoned by the commity, I do not know why, he becomes more atrevido, sem vergonha

I agree with your post

Mano Menezes is not a stranger to \ds, he trained him in |Gremio' before that he was nothing' nobody wanted him' Benfica was happy t get rid of him, Mani Menezes made a player out of him' and than of course Benfica wanted a big amount of money, Gremio succeeded recruiting the money, and of course DS said he only want to stay, than all of a sudden Palmeiras emerged with a smaller amount, but DS said all of a sudden that he always dreamed to play under Luxa

Playing in a SP team he had more fame and become more ruthless, For me he is the same judas like Luis Figo, not mentioning the injuries he ccaused, and the people he sent to hospital

·
Registered
11,657 Posts
i dont know either player but in this case, jorge almost had his legs ripped off. Not sure how diego can complain about jorge's past

·
Administrator
29,392 Posts
Diego Souza agression to Domingos is a case where it is not far fetched to talk about banishment from professional games. But the insane and corrupt courts here did not even discussed the obvious punishment.
Diving may be not pardonable, but it is hardly near to agression. Violence is problem twice a relevant as diving.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts