Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read with disgust World Soccer's latest article on the German refereeing scandal that has rocked the world of football. 25 year-old Robert Hoyzer handed in his resignation to the German Football Federation after being exposed by 3 of his fellow colleagues that he has manipulated matches since 2003 to suit bets laid on the results. He has since admitted to all counts of match-fixing and also implicated other referees involved in the scandal. Dominik Marks has just been arrested on the same charges.

Hoyzer's schedule of shame below is non-exhausive:-

- St Pauli and Dresden drew 2-2 with the former East German champions snatching a draw after being awarded a last minute penalty.

- Paderborn beat Chemnitz 4-0, with 2 penalties given in quick succession after defending a shaky 1-0 lead for some time.

- Hoyzer disallowed 2 St Pauli goals at Eintract Braunschweig; it was said that even the Eintract players were wondering how they managed to get away with them.

- St Pauli lost 3-2 away to Osnabruck, conceding a contentious late penalty for a foul commited by Marinko Miletic, who actually played the ball. Already been booked, Miletic was sent off.

- The now-notorious first round cup-tie between Hamburg and Paderborn, which the regional side upset the Bundesliga team 4-2. Two very questionable penalties were awarded and converted. Mpenza was sent off after protesting against one of them. Hoyzer famously went into the Paderborn dressing room at half-time and said the words, "Keep playing like that and you will have no problems".

- Nurnberg was shocked 3-2 in extra time by LR Ahlen, the minnows benefitting from Hoyzer ignoring a clear foul by Paulinho in the build up to their second goal.

- Furth were beaten by Duisberg 1-0, the winning goal given despite it being punched into the net. Earlier Duisberg keeper Georg Joch had been allowed to stay on the pitch despite punching and knocking down Furth forward Uwe Rosler.

- Ahlen beat Burghausen 1-0 with a hotly disputed penalty. Dusan Trifunovic had fallen on the ball after being tripped and was adjudged to have handled. When Trifunovic protested, he was promptly sent off.

- St Pauli drew 2-2 with Leverkusen in the spring of 2002, their equaliser coming in the last minute through a penalty awarded for handball in which the ball struck a defender's face. Leverkusen finished the league one point away from being crowned Bundesliga champions, and subsequently lost to Real Madrid in the Champions League Final.

In the ensuing enquiry launched by as many as 150 officers raiding into 32 homes and offices in 10 regions, more atrocity was uncovered. Paderborn captain Thijs Waterrink admitted to accepting 7,000 euros before the match against Hamburg (he dived to earn Paderborn's first penalty) and the Dresden keeper exposed of a 10,000 offer from someone whom he'd never met to bend a match against Preussen Munster.

Should Germany still be awarded the 2006 World Cup after this fiasco? This has to rank as one of the most atrocious cases of match fixing I have ever seen in my 16 years of following football. I think FIFA will do well to conduct a full enquiry into the case that has reduced the DFB to its knees, and review if Germany is still a suitable candidate to host the biggest spectacle in the world.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
a bit old news, but nice thread anyway,

i dont think they can change the country of WC'06 now :)

·
1st Tier Poster
50,409 Posts
What's funny is that I've heard he was considered to be a good referee before the scandal emerged. So apparently no-one even noticed that there was something strange about his decisions.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Match-fixing should be common in all leagues throughout the world, however I wonder what made the 3 colleagues of Hoyzer came out in the open and implicate him. Would the referees in other leagues be so "ethical"? Or perhaps there was sth on offer for those who spilled the beans?

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
He's still not a killer or rapist ... but people over here (in Germany) tend to treat him so (at least with vocabulary) ... I think we would be surprised how much match cheating exists worldwide, if we knew ... This is just a case that became popular.
The majority of mankind would use the opportunity of taking 10000 buck for a match over the let's say 2000 from the national FA (DFB in that case) ... just my opinion. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts