Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, it's derby time again. And of course Lazio's list of injured players is as long as possible, with Stefan Radu (the most in form Eagle) the latest to get into that list. And with Kolarov being somewhat shaky, as our mates reported about the Udinese game, defense is as usual the departement that creates most problems to Delio Rossi, whereas in midfield Zauri and Mutarelli are recovering but not so quickly to be in the derby squad. Up front, all players seem available.
In my opinion, Rossi could go for a 4-4-2, instead of the usual 4-3-1-2:

Ballotta
De Silvestri - Siviglia - Cribari - Kolarov
Behrami - Dabo - Ledesma - Manfredini
Pandev - Rocchi

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
I'd quite frankly take half-unfit Mutarelli and Zauri rather than Kolarov and Manfredini. The question is are they just half unfit or not fit at all...If they and Radu can't play I propose

De Sivestri--Siviglia-Cribari-Behrami

-Dabo---Ledesma---Mudingayi----

----------Meghni----------------

----Pandev----Rocchi------------

It was good to see that players who have in the last years been one of the best for us in the derby are in form, namely Rocchi and Ledesma. Too bad we haven't tried Rozenhal enough because theoretically he could have taken Cribari's place, now I suspect he has too little understanding with Siviglia for this to have any positive effect.

roma are on a row but they have to win this game in order to keep pressure on Inter so if we keep a clean sheet long enogh, they will get ever more frustrated. The games of both teams in the last round were hugely entertaining and this is the derby so let's hope for a spectacle and of course, for unlikely but sweet Lazio victory!

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Rozenhal could feature as the LB if Radu doesn't make it...I'm quite sure Kolarov blew his chances of starting at Udine.

In midfield Behrami-Ledesma-Dabo is the best trio we can field. If Behrami is needed in the defense, then Gaby should play in the midfield. The trequartista place is a bit problematic...Meghni is fit for less than an hour and we can't approach the derby like that. So I think Pandev should play in the hole, with Rocchi and Bianchi in the attack. The derby might actually be a very good game for Bianchi, I'm already seeing a great battle between him and Ms. Mexes.

My biggest worry is getting some quality possession in the game. We are likely to get a couple of chances on counters and set pieces, but to really match them we must be able to string some passes together...one reason why I dread to see Manfredini on the pitch.

FORZA LAZIO

·
Midfield Enforcer
1,683 Posts
Waiting for the news that Totti has picked up an injury in training & is doubtful for the derby ;)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Am I the only "heretic" here that would go for a 4-4-2? :) If I had to choose the men for the 4-3-1-2, I agree that the best at the moment are

Ballotta

Behrami-Siviglia-Cribari-De Silvestri

Dabo-Ledesma-Mudingayi

Pandev

Bianchi-Rocchi.

If this will be the team, that sounds very much like a pipping for Kolarov and Rozenhal, actually.
And AR, I wouldn't be so harsh on Manfredini. True, he's not doing wonders, but he's not playing worse that most of his team-mates. And then, we have seen worse players at Lazio. Few years ago I remember a Danish winger who really sucked. Damn, I forgot his name... Kaf, any help? :)

FORZA LAZIO

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
Mafredini simply plays seemingly without thinking, add to that his lack of skills and he is useful pretty much only for running at opponents and long shots. He has had some good games over the years but in a game where discipline is likely to be crucial and as mentioned we need to keep possession and not just defend, he will be more of a burden than benefit, IMO. It seems to me he plays because Rossi wants someone left-footed for the left zone but in the Cagliari game when Behrami was moved to the left he did well, even though the game was a disaster. Who of our midfielders is playing worse than Manfredini? Only the likes of Firmani and Baronio but they won't feature in the derby anyway.

Few years ago I remember a Danish winger who really sucked.
That would be Keller.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Obviously he's not as bad as Keller, but Manfredini is the weakest link of the regulars right now...last season he had some good games which made me a bit more optimistic, but this season it has been back to normal. I agree with Anomander, he seems to have a disastrous football sense. He does have good physical qualities, though, which can be useful in some games. Plus one can never criticize his attitude on the pitch...if we lead at 60-70 minutes, sure, bring him on.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be Keller.
Him exactly! :)

I said that Manfredini has not played worse than most of his Lazio team-mates, without any special reference to the other midfielders. I acknowledge than Mudingayi is better than Manfredini and agree that Manfredini sometimes runs apparently without any thought about what to do with ball and makes wrong passes.
But having said that, I rate his performances not worse than, for example, the latest ones of Mauri, or even of Kolarov or Makinwa.
Latest news is that Stefan Radu's injury is not as serious as thought initially, he even trained for some times, so there are chances that he could be playing in the derby.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
That's good news about Radu. It looked like a hamstring problem...that can heal in a couple of days if its just tightness. Plus you don't have a chance to treat it in middle of the game, and a bit of tape can do wonders...it didn't look too bad.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
But having said that, I rate his performances not worse than, for example, the latest ones of Mauri, or even of Kolarov or Makinwa.
Sure but Mauri and Makinwa haven't had a single good game this season, so playing better than them is not much of an achievement. Manfredini is a useful squad player but that's it.

Fingers crossed Radu can make it, we really need him.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It seems that before the game the two captains Rocchi and Totti will honour the memory of Gabriele Sandri by putting flowers at Curva Nord, close to the place where Gabbo usually stood.

·
DAJE ROMA
5,521 Posts
It seems that before the game the two captains Rocchi and Totti will honour the memory of Gabriele Sandri by putting flowers at Curva Nord, close to the place where Gabbo usually stood.
yes, i read that Totti said he will put flowers at the Curva Nord before the game .

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It looks good for Radu right now, he has been able to train...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And gazzetta.it duly recorded the good news and put him in the starting 11 accordingly:

Ballotta 32

De Silvestri 29 - Siviglia 13 - Cribari 25 - Radu 2

Dabo 6 - Ledesma 24 - Behrami 85

Pandev 19

Bianchi 9 - Rocchi 18

On the bench:
Muslera 1
Rozenhal 7
Kolarov 3
Mudingayi 26
Manfredini 68
Tare 17
Meghni 23

Coach: Rossi

Not available
Zauri, Mutarelli, Del Nero, Firmani, Diakite

diffidati
De Silvestri, Pandev

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Eh, AR, mea culpa I was missing the couple of words that makes the difference: "Not available". But I read on "Il Messaggero" that Mutarelli could really make it to the bench for tomorrow's game.

Whereas according to calciomercato.com
(http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=8&a=75022) if Radu will not be fit for the derby, Kolarov will replace him. The same web site states that Mutarelli could go to the bench.

FORZA LAZIO

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
For those who wonder what's going on I deleted my post because I misread that Mutarelli will be on the bench in order to post it. I should have seen that there was a list of expected bench players above the list that included Mutarelli. :)

As for the avatar - http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Ito_Misaki

·
Second Place winner, March 2009 Photo Contest
10,622 Posts

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,330 Posts
The derby is too crazy to have any sort of accurate expectation about a possible result. The last time we played quite well and still lost, this time of course there's a lot more riding on it for our opponents, as they can't afford to lose points in their effort to possibly catch Inter, so perhaps that will work to our advantage.

All anyone can ask for is a committed performance from our players and that they fight all the way to the end.

Forza Lazio !!

1 - 20 of 135 Posts