Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lazio start derby countdown Friday 31 December, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rome derby is always a fiery occasion and the two clubs are already trading insults in the press ahead of the Jan 6 showdown.

“I do not envy Roma anything, not even Francesco Totti,” assured Lazio President Claudio Lotito. “We have the players and now the Coach to beat them.”

It will be a tough debut match for new tactician Giuseppe Papadopulo, who was brought in after Mimmo Caso’s dismissal on December 27.

“I signed the most expensive Coach that was available to me, so the fans can no longer sing, ‘Pay up, Lotito’. Now the team has no more alibis and must play with a style fitting the Lazio colours.”

The President has certainly made changes at the club he has supported since childhood, buying up a side that was verging on bankruptcy.

“I only took on the Biancocelesti out of love for this club,” he said six months after the paperwork was completed. “It’s almost a Mission Impossible here and I have dug up a legal precedent that allows me to pay the outstanding taxes in instalments, as it was a £100m debt created by the previous owners.”

If Lazio are sending messages out to Roma – such as Roberto Muzzi noting, “They don’t scare me in the slightest” – then their rivals are also preparing for this clash.

“We hope to start the New Year with a victory, and considering the fact it’s a derby that will be even more important,” said Giallorossi boss Gigi Del Neri.

“Aside from the individual result of this match for our standing in the table, it is worth so much more than three points. This could make or break our season.”

channel4

·
Registered
460 Posts
I hope for a certain Fabio Bazzani in that match ! Anyone's better than inzaghino-sh!t.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Looks to be a exciting match as always, neither team has done very well this season so far, so it's really a do or die situation now.

Also interesting will be if there are any new signings making their appearance for the first time, as said Lazio will be looking to improve their striker situation.

On a different note, I hope our friends from Laziofever will have success in getting the club to agree to their proposal of donating part of the money for each sold ticket to the victims of the flooding in Asia.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
If somehow we manage to win, I think Papadopulo's position would be secure for quite some time. And in the derby, you never know the outcome, never mind the form of the adversaries. I think Paolo Di Canio might be the key palyer for us...if he doesn't get too excited and get sent off early on.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Serie A Week 17 - 6/1/04 (20.30)
Lazio - Roma

Stadio Olimpico

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Rome derby is upon us and the stage is set for a fiery battle between two teams who need a victory – both for the table and above all psychologically.

Lazio have slid down to 15th position – just four points clear of the relegation zone – with their humiliating defeat at Udinese. That result proved the final straw for Mimmo Caso, who was sacked and replaced by former Siena Coach Giuseppe Papadopulo.

He could not have asked for a tougher debut match at a big club, as the Derby della Capitale has become a watchword for passion and occasionally violence. Last year this tie had to be abandoned at half-time due to crowd trouble and there were appeals to have this evening game rescheduled for an afternoon kick-off to cut down on further problems. This is set to be even more fiery than ever, as both clubs are struggling and need to prove to their fans that their hearts are in the fight.

Nobody typifies that attitude more than Paolo Di Canio, who positively bleeds blue and white. The veteran is leading by example, as shown by his brace in the 3-3 draw with Lecce, and pushed his teammates to resume training a day early in preparation for this showdown.

With Caso gone, Di Canio has even more power within the club and is essentially an assistant manager on the field. Roberto Muzzi is also a Lazio fan from childhood and should partner the former West Ham star in place of Simone Inzaghi. Sebastiano Siviglia, an ex-Roma player, is suspended and makes way for Talamonti in defence.

If the situation at Lazio is hairy, then Roma aren’t doing much better. Gigi Del Neri has failed to give the team any consistency, as they go from stunning 5-1 demolitions of Parma to dismal performances against Brescia, Sampdoria and Reggina.

The real tragedy for them now is that top scorer Vincenzo Montella will be banned from taking part in the most eagerly awaited game of the season, picking up a silly yellow card for a handling offence. Del Neri could shelve the trident attack in favour of a 4-4-2 system with Francesco Totti and Antonio Cassano upfront, or push Amantino Mancini further up the field in support, while Mido and Marco Delvecchio – the man who has scored more Rome derby goals than any other – are alternative options.

Lazio (probable): Peruzzi; Oddo, Talamonti, Couto, Seric; A Filippini, Giannichedda, Dabo; Pandev, Di Canio; Muzzi

Roma (probable): Pelizzoli; Mexes, Dellas, Ferrari; Panucci, Perrotta, De Rossi, Cufre; Mancini, Totti, Cassano

Ref: To follow...

channel4

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Di Canio celebrating in front of Curva Sud back in 1991 ;)

·
38,110 Posts
If he does, I bet this time he'll show a different finger. ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Totti in front of Curva Nord years later ;)

·
38,110 Posts
Totti is displaying typical romanista behaviour there, always copying Lazio. We create a football team, they create a football team. We win a scudetto, a year later they win a scudetto. A player of ours sticks it to their ultras, a player of theirs does so to ours. Never any originality with those romanisti. ;)

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Little Francesco was showing remarkable process at that stage...it's four words without a single mistake! Truly remarkable feat for him, and one that he'll probably never achieve again. ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Boyo said:
Totti is displaying typical romanista behaviour there, always copying Lazio. We create a football team, they create a football team. We win a scudetto, a year later they win a scudetto. A player of ours sticks it to their ultras, a player of theirs does so to ours. Never any originality with those romanisti. ;)
:eekani:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Kaf, you also fail to congratulate him on a decent haircut that doesn't incorporate girly plaits or ponytails! :)
(and I bet his mummy made his shirt for him ;))

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Kafka said:
Little Francesco was showing remarkable process at that stage...it's four words without a single mistake! Truly remarkable feat for him, and one that he'll probably never achieve again. ;)
I believe that Roma fans and players are not even feeling the derby :eekani: Probably they feel that they are going to crush you lot ;)

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Totti is displaying typical romanista behaviour there, always copying Lazio. We create a football team, they create a football team. We win a scudetto, a year later they win a scudetto. A player of ours sticks it to their ultras, a player of theirs does so to ours.
You go bankrupt, we don't :smileani:

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Don't be so sure about that. :)

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Exactly...at least we have stopped spending money we don't have.

Diavolo, what do the riomanisti think about then. Champions League? ;)

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Kafka said:
Exactly...at least we have stopped spending money we don't have.

Diavolo, what do the riomanisti think about then. Champions League? ;)
Il Diavolo will just relax and enjoy the match tomorrow after returning from San Siro :stuckup:

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Kafka said:
How much italian do you speak again? Stai zitto, è mejo così.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Vieri might have nothing on you in arrogance but surely has in the sense of humour stakes!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts