Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think we're fairly unanimous that Del Neri is not the right coach for us. He's tactically inept, and from the games i've seen he looks just as stubborn, and worse than Capello is. He refuses to play certain players(Mido in particular), and persists in putting Panucci into the centre of defence, when even the blind can see he does not have the positioning to play there. IMO, he's gotta go now. Admittedly, changing coaches, for the fifth time( :eek: ) mid-season will be extremely disruptive, but if he's going to be gone by the end of the season anyway, why not do it now, and build a solid side under a solid, trustworthy coach? This season is a washout anyway, and i don't think there are many coaches who can repeat the mess we saw on Thursday night with such a strong side at their disposal. And, if he does go, who do we replace him with? There aren't many world class coaches floating around at the moment. Prandelli maybe? Cosmi, Zeman?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Prandelli said he was ready to coach again seeing his wife is getting better, but that he would wait until next season beacause of respect to Roma. So that means that if Roma would want him, he should be ready, the team is after all designed for him, he decided on the players to buy to fit his playing style. So maybe the right answer is Prandelli, because we can´t continue with Del Neris 442 or whatever he is trying.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
It is going to be atough decision either way. I think what would be best is if Prandelli came in. Again I apologize to Cacini, Roma 10, Romanfan53 and whoever else was against Del Neri being Roma's head coach.

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
romafan53 said:
I think we're fairly unanimous that Del Neri is not the right coach for us. He's tactically inept, and from the games i've seen he looks just as stubborn, and worse than Capello is. He refuses to play certain players(Mido in particular), and persists in putting Panucci into the centre of defence, when even the blind can see he does not have the positioning to play there. IMO, he's gotta go now. Admittedly, changing coaches, for the fifth time( :eek: ) mid-season will be extremely disruptive, but if he's going to be gone by the end of the season anyway, why not do it now, and build a solid side under a solid, trustworthy coach? This season is a washout anyway, and i don't think there are many coaches who can repeat the mess we saw on Thursday night with such a strong side at their disposal. And, if he does go, who do we replace him with? There aren't many world class coaches floating around at the moment. Prandelli maybe? Cosmi, Zeman?
This derby result will probably catapult Roma to a 10th place finish. The only good that can come of it is it will lead to Del Neri's removal. I hope that Prandelli can come in and begin the work he started. Prandelli is an attack minded coach who excells working with young players. This Roma team at the end of the season will have lost Delvecchio, Candela, and Panucci.....so the rest of the team in under 30 years old with many players ranging from age 20-24. We need a teacher, not an old brut set in his one sided ways. If it means losing Totti and Cassano to turn things around, so be it. The good of Roma must come first.

And I beg all Romanisti to not call for Zeman to be the next coach. He is a great offensive mind and the entertainment value is fun to watch, but he is not what we need. A few 5-4 wins are fun, but in the end, a coach who tries to score more goals while up 3-0 and then goes on to lose 4-3 due to stupidity is NOT what Roma needs.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Roma for all the goals they scored this season in lopsided wins have not yet turned a corner but we can still challenge for a Champions League spot with luck. We will see what happens, but yes we do need a teacher and that is exactly what Prandelli is.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
This is actually funny, us talking about a new coach once more :neutral:
I'd give Prandelli the chance he deserves, and as sharp said, this team was built by him, and we know for a fact that he uses the tactics we all want.

·
Registered
894 Posts
From what i've read Prandelli wants to come back to Roma as he didn't finish (well he didn't even start) his job here and we wanst to proove his worth.
I, like most of you, was sceptical when we got Del Neri and i'm even more unconvinced now, although we had a great game against Parma (and a few other decvent performances) it seems he just can't get things to work for him. And the bad is outwieghing the good, espeically after the derby performance.

Whatever happens it could be a lose/lose situation, to get rid of Del neri and bring in Prandelli could put us even further back then we are now. But keeping him could also be costly.

It's a horrible situation :(

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
We lost a derby. It hurts. But this talk of a replacement every time we lose is disruptive and unfair. Yes, he's stubborn, but we don't have the players we had in the past and now we have ZERO depth. Mido ain't gonna save this club, neither is Sartor or others on that bench. The coach is trying to do the most with what we have. He's made some bad decisions, but hasn't the entire club and its organization? When do the players - like Mancini, Candela, DeRossi, Mexes, Peli, even Totti, step up and accept responsibility for their part?
We can't just keep mindlessly throwing people overboard every time we lose because we're not used to losing. Look, if we don't win vs. Atalanta, then I would say we have a real problem. But unfortunately, the problems exist beyond Del Neri. It's oversimplistic to think a change in coaching will solve everything. We have too many problems that built up and exploded after Capello left. It's going to take time. Del Neri may not be the man, but let's see what happens tomorrow. Prior to last night, he came up with some crucial points and a wonderful match vs. Parma.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
I want Del Neri out real bad, I would celebrate the day he is canned. But - it's not at all certain that getting rid of the worst coach in Roma for over ten years would be a great move for us, as contradicting as that may seem. The reason is the absolute lack of pretenders to the position Del Neri would leave vacant. Zeman is out for many reasons, the most important being that you can only coach one Serie A team per season, so he is not allowed to be hired even if Sensi wanted to - which brings me to the second reason. I don't think Zeman is a person Sensi and Baldini will turn to in order to resurrect Roma. I absolutely love and adore the man, but I do not think he is considered ideal at all at this point of time. And even if he was, there would still be the problem that we can't hire him now.

The only solution would be if Prandelli considers himself ready to get back in the game already. First of all he's the only decent coach that's available right now, and secondly, this is in many aspects his Roma, it is constructed after many of his wishes and requests. It is made up of players who owe him their careers (Ferrari), players who says they look up to him immensly and dedicate to him their debut in Roma's shirt, even if that debut came under Del Neri (Scurto), players who have speaken very highly of him and the way he teaches football, how he communicates with everyone, and cares for everyone on the team (Delvecchio, Mexès, Totti, Montella, Pelizzoli, Zotti, etc, etc). He left a huge impact after him under the few months he was at Roma, one that has always felt as if he wasn't finished with the work he started, as if he was always bound to come back one day.

But I have to ask myself; is it fair to Prandelli to give him the team halfway into a disastrous season? I'm sure he would do better than Del Neri, but he can't rescue this season. The team is in turmoil, and even if Prandelli is sincere in his dealings with his players and knows how to play a team and is flexible enough to change that way should it not work, he won't transform us into a lean mean team machine over night. He would need at least a summer of preparations to do that, to settle in properly. To be thrown into a season with games every week does not give the peace and quiet needed to set his mark on the team and help some players grow confidence again, since one mistake would be enough to put them back to square one again. Of course you can argue that if you view this season as preparation to next, 4-5 extra months of getting to know the team can't hurt - true. But everyone has to be in agreement Prandelli will most likely not push us into a CL place this year, and that it would not be a failure. I don't believe everyone would want to agree to that, that's why I don't think he'll want to come back already.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Roma doesn't need that that much to get a champions league spot, they need some more luck, Cassano and Totti and Montella playing the way we know they can. But most importantly Roma needs solid descision making. If we change the mistakes in formation and the bad substitutions Roma can get some better more consistent results. Perhaps it would be best if Prandelli came in the summer but by all means this season is still salvageble. Prandelli could even make Cassano want to stay in Rome but who knows.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
we need more players. i guess we will stick it out with Del Neri and if he stays buy some players he wants or if he leaves and Prandelli comes back bring in players he wants...but we need more players of quality...Dacourt has really been missed i think, hes a very solid player and when on form can contribute in all aspects of the game.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Even if the lazio game was Del Neri's fault, we do have too many over-rated or out of form players in our squad. You can blame Del Neri for that too, but some players Ive seen cant even control and kick a ball properly and that is not his fault.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Deano said:
Even if the lazio game was Del Neri's fault, we do have too many over-rated or out of form players in our squad. You can blame Del Neri for that too, but some players Ive seen cant even control and kick a ball properly and that is not his fault.
Fair to say you do not need eleven superstars to be a winning team. Teams like Samp (no offence) have players of clearly limited technical capabilities but they play great none the less and get the results, and are way above us as a result.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
you know whats scary and funny in the same time..

what proof do you have that makes you think Prandelli is goning to succeed with Rome?
leading Parma to 5th place?

well, Delneri almost did the same thing with Cheivo with half the quality of players Prandelli had with Parma!

changing coaches was never and will never be the answer.. the problem is much deeper than this..

this club needs a whole new mentality.. starting from it's president.. through his captain.. until the youngest individual in trigoria..

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Fair to say you do not need eleven superstars to be a winning team. Teams like Samp (no offence) have players of clearly limited technical capabilities but they play great none the less and get the results, and are way above us as a result.
thats a very true point..

even when Capello was here our team rarely played as a unit.. we count too much on talent and individula skills..

so logicaly.. when those talented players leave or when they are out of shape we become completely lost..

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
GamE_Ove12 said:
you know whats scary and funny in the same time..

what proof do you have that makes you think Prandelli is goning to succeed with Rome?
leading Parma to 5th place?

well, Delneri almost did the same thing with Cheivo with half the quality of players Prandelli had with Parma!

changing coaches was never and will never be the answer.. the problem is much deeper than this..

this club needs a whole new mentality.. starting from it's president.. through his captain.. until the youngest individual in trigoria..
Yes, let's do that instead and keep Del Neri. He's the one person in all of this Roma should stick to and lean to in hard times. May the mass-firing of hundreds of people begin!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I don't care how desperate the situation Dacourt is not the player that will revolutionize the Roma squad with his mere presence. If he starts playing we will start cursing Dacourt for his many mistakes that are sure to come. Tomassi would be a better option to have and hopefully he will be back soon. BUt the most important thing that we need is a coach who has a clear formation that suits the players and can communicate his ideas effectively so as everyone understands and can do their job.

Perhaps we should start blaming the players more but how can you play well for Coach who makes bad decisions, and doesn't have a proper formation that suits the players. How can you also play for a Coach that makes senseless substitutions that don't help the team but just serve to confuse you. You can run harder and show more spirit but that doesn't change the fact that you don't know what you are doing which makes everything easier. I believe that yes, Totti needs to run more and show more spirit just like the rest of them though some players who show more spirit need to show more skill. Totti I am sure is demoralized by the Coach's incompetence just like everyone else is. I just hope the players can bare out this storm and show some real character to save this season in spite of the Coach and to do what is expected in Roma and that is show heart.

Most of this is conjecture but I think most of it rings true.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
i think Capello was able to have a compact team...thats why the team was so good last year...impossible to break down but when we got the ball no one could really stop Totti and Cassano and Mancini....it was a very good season last year...but its over...Capello is doing the same thing with Juventus...they dont have a Totti or Cassano but they have talented players...

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Yes, let's do that instead and keep Del Neri. He's the one person in all of this Roma should stick to and lean to in hard times. May the mass-firing of hundreds of people begin!
that's not my point.. I'm not against or with Delneri..
I'll wait until the end of the season at least to make a judgment..

anyway..I don't make my opinions based on silly excuses and conspiracy theories..

I believe that in order to win in football you should have long term plans.. I believe that a strong team is built with time not between month and another..

Surely Delneri did mistakes.. stupid ones.. very stupid.. but still you can't judge a coach based on one game.. cause coaching is a process.. learning from your mistakes and building for the future..

everybody here criticized Capello after Milan game last season.. you want him out.. with the same mentality you are using here.. cause Capello did stupid mistakes..

i hope you can now learn your lesson..

once again I'm not with or against Delneri.. I'm with the logic and the fact that football is a mind game.. in order to win you have to build a strong side through time..

and time is the factor Delneri doesn't have.. yet!

1 - 20 of 94 Posts