Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since Italia 1990, it seems that the kiss of death is reaching the semi final round...in each WC since then, only 1 of the teams was able to come close to reaching their performace from the previous Cup....

1990 Final Four

Germany---1994 lost to Bulgaria in the Quarter finals.
Argentina--1994 lost in the knock out round.
Italy-- Finalist lost to Brazil in the Championship.
England--Didn't even qualify for 1994.

1994 Final Four

Brazil--Finalist in 1998 lost to France
Italy--Lost to France in the Quarter-finals on penalties
Bulgaria--did not advance past group play in 98
Sweden--Did not even qualify

1998 Final Four

France--So far already has lost a game to Senegal. Could be in trouble.
Brazil--Beat Turkey but was unconvincing and will most likely lose in the playoff round...
Croatia--Lost to mexico already and will be lucky to move on the the playoff round...
Holland--Did not even qualify for 2002....

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
good research there JureM but i dont think France and Brasil can be considered purely semi-finalists i mean arent teams that only got as far the semi-finals supposed to be considered semi-finalists otherwise even if the winner is considered a semi-finalist along the way to winning the whole tournament i would do that any day and then screw up in the following world cup if it means i already won 1;)

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just trying to point out the fate of the previous semi-finalists and to show how hard it is to repeat the performance of 4 years before...also, they point is that you have to take advantage of all the opportunities given to you because you never know when they will happen again, if at all....

·
Registered
325 Posts
CroatTommy said:
good research there JureM but i dont think France and Brasil can be considered purely semi-finalists i mean arent teams that only got as far the semi-finals supposed to be considered semi-finalists otherwise even if the winner is considered a semi-finalist along the way to winning the whole tournament i would do that any day and then screw up in the following world cup if it means i already won 1;)
WHAT!??! STA!?!?! QUE!?!?!........man, that was one long sentence..........it really takes strong loungs to read it all in one breath.........damn-......you almost gave me a heart-attack Tommy you idiot! :mad: :depress: :( :eek: :eek: :mad: ........jk :tongue: :D ;)

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Dragan dont read out loud;)

yeah i know im bad with the run on sentence but check that one out i think it was actualy a grammaticaly correct sentence:tongue:

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys now believe in the "Curse of the Semi-Finalists???"

Look at what has happened....once again, only 1 team is alive and that is Brazil...

France- Out....1 tie in three games...no goals.
Brazil- Still alive and looks like they can go back to the semi's
Croatia- OUT...1 win, 2 losses...
Holland- Didn't even qualify....

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
some croatian psychic back home has predicted everything that has happened to Croatia. Before the World Cup she said that Croatia will not advance from the group stage. Jebiga, she was right.

JureM..i knew this post would make its way back up...but you are right. It's amazing that the same thing has happened in the last 3 world cups. i believe in thissorta things as crazy as it may sound.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's one of those things....but the point is, that it just goes to show how hard it is to come back.

·
Keyboard Hero
8,368 Posts
Well we won't be in the semi's this time so in four years you never know.

Zovi, Samo Zovi.................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
that's eerie Jure, some witchcraft may be involved there yet.

And I have to jump in the defense of my mate CroatTommy and his long sentances :fero: :fero: leave him alone damn it !!!

;)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
yep....good ol' Ero talk ;)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
majstors snappy answers amaze us again :)

All I can see is threads replied to by majstor, legendo, sta bi mi bez tebe rode? ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts