Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well in total attendence ;) (but that's still impressive for a second division), the Championship is in the top 10 of sports worldwide based on total attendence.

source - wikipediahttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_attendance_figures

Total Attendence: (average attendence)
12,872,613 - FA Premier League (33,875)
12,477,001 - Bundesliga (40,775)
11,031,020 - La Liga (29,029)
9,742,032 - Championship (17,616)
8,245,240 - Serie A (21,968)

average attendence
40,775 - Bundesliga
33,250 - Premiership
29,020 - La Liga
21,968 - Serie A
21,575 - French Ligue 1
18,765 - J League (Japan)
17,616 - The Championship
16,789 - Dutch League (Eredivisie)
16,799 - Turkish Premier Division
16,174 - Scottish Premier League
15,108 - American Major League Soccer
13,630 - Campeonato (Brazilian Serie A)
12,241 - Russian Premier League
11,627 - A League (Australia)
11,256 - K League (Korea)
11,000 - Chinese Super League
9,480 - Norwegian Premier League
8,700 - Greek Super League

other
7,737 - Football League One
7,533 - Spanish Second Division
6,867 - Italian Serie B
4,496 - Football League Two
1,985 - Nationwide Conference

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I wonder where we are in terms of overall quality of players?

Aside from the real top teams, I'd put us at least equal to, or possibly ahead of leagues like the Eredivisie and SPL

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Seire A attendance is so crap. Too much TV football in Italy that no one goes to matches and also the teams now in Serie A are as big as non-league English sides (like Chievo, Empoli, Siena)... even Hertford town could get more fans together than Chievo!

It would be different if all Tv deals were abandoned and some bigger cities were back in A. Like hellas Verona instead of Chievo or Bologna or Napoli or Genoa... but I wont say much more as whoever is in A, they merit the reasons.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Hunter Lionheart said:
I wonder where we are in terms of overall quality of players?

Aside from the real top teams, I'd put us at least equal to, or possibly ahead of leagues like the Eredivisie and SPL
Interesting idea. That's something I would like to know for a few teams and leagues. Just for an example, I would like to know how my FCN would do in the English leagues... whether it's the Premier League or the Championship. That season I would say we could be a good Premiership team, but last season I think we would have struggled heavily.

I'm sure there are a few teams in the Eredivisie that would struggle in the Championship, yes.

interista1908 said:
in championship there is 24 teams in serie athere is only 20
Ok, but DeJackal mentioned that the Championship beats Serie A in total attendance, the average attendence is still a shame for the Serie A.

I really like it that the Bundesliga has such good figures.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The reason I mention the dutch league is that David Jones of Man U was fairly average on loan here, but was considered fantastic at the Eredivisie club he went to (Man U's feeder club). I wonder how Chris Eagles (who impressed here last year) will fare.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
With more big teams coming down (Sunderland, Brum and W Brom will have better attendances than Reading, Sheff U and Watford) and also the amount of Midlands derbies attracting big attendances, there's got to be a chance of it being even better this season.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Championship is below the Premiership, but it's definetely a quality league. averaging crowds of 17,616 over 24 clubs. The quality of the stadiums and standard of the pitches, the Championship definetely holds it's own to top divisions.

21,968 - Serie A
21,575 - French Ligue 1
18,765 - J League (Japan)
17,616 - The Championship

The fact that you can actually compare The Championship to the above leagues is impressive, and the fact that it's beats the Dutch and Scottish leagues on average attendence (and them leages have less clubs so it's harder to keep a high average attendence with more clubs).

The standard of play is also very high and beats a lot of top divisions, Wigan and West Ham finishing in the top 10 of the Prem last season after only just being promoted is testiment to that.

The division is also the sixth richest division in Europe, after the top leagues in England, Italy, Germany, Spain and France, with combined club revenues of £306 million.

So by rights the Championship is one of the top divisions in Europe.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Well, at the end of the day the Championship is still the second league. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts