Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really interesting...at least one spanish team is in the final. Oh, we will believe that Real will beat Bauern Munchen but is it sure that Barcelona will win Valencia? Certainly not. Valencia have played well in Europe, and who knows if Valencia will beat Barcelona?

I would love to see Van Gaal`s face when Valencia is leading 3-0 in Nou Camp :) :) :)

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I think everyone of us would love to see Barcelona crash out. It is a safer thing for us, because just think what will hapen in Paris if we and barca meet. I mean the game will be so nervous! No one will want to los and I think it will turn into a crap spectacle. I hope Valencia can do it and I think they will - my friend Tristan W. a great fan of the team BTW said right from the beginning of the year that his team would make it to the final. Now since I have a lot in common with psychic's it's quite possible :)

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You guys seem intimidated by Barca. I really would love to watch Real and Barca play out a Champion's League final. It could never happen again in our lifetime and no matter what the result is, I'd be happy to be witnees to such a great event!

Valencia really would have nothing to be ashamed of if they go out at this stage of the competition. They have impressed a helluva lot of people and have been good representatives of Spanish football, but deep inside, I hope this is as far as they go. Real V Valencia just doesn't have the same impact as Real V Barca. Of course I'm assuming we beat Bayern!

P.S.
Here's a queation that has me stumped. What if Valencia win the Champion's League this year and not finish among the top 4 in La Liga? Does Spain have 5 representatives next year then?

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Yes, if Valencia win and up in 5th we get 5 teams. It's like last year - Real ended 3rd but were defending champs, so we had three teams = Barca, Athletic Bilbao and Real. If we win lets say and end up in 1st then we only get 4.

·
Registered
526 Posts
No, by UEFA rules we can only have 4 teams in the CL. So if Madrid, Barca, or Valencia win the CL but don't finish in the top 4 in Spain, well tough luck to the 4th place team, they will be in the UEFA Cup. No league can have more than 4 representatives in the CL.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought too, you can hardly call it "Champions League" then can you?

Germany had 4 representives in the CL this season.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I find this hard to believe. Remember last years edition. Back then there where only 2 teams from each country and still Spain had 3 represantitives. If you have a defending champion outside the top4, you get all in all 5 teams from your country. This would be most logic, but...\?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well Italy had a similar (well not 3 teams in the semi's) situation. Juve could've won the CL but they were well down in their own league. Anyhow, what UEFA said was that if Juve won the CL, Italy would still send only 4 representatives. So the 4th place team in that case was out of luck. By the way, that situation when Real Madrid won the CL and then Spain sent 3 teams to the CL next season was before the current format (same thing happend to the Bundesliga the year before). So those were slightly different rules than this season.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
No, of course I realize the Real case was in a different format, but I still find it rather hard to believe that the 4th place team is just "ot of luck". That really sux - I just hope we don't get fourth and then Barca wins the CL. Fuc* that would be absolutly terrible!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts