Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Legend
17,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today, due to the heavy snow storm in here (Toronto, Canada), everything was closed, so no school and no work and I went to see The Butterfly Effect. Here's what I think of this movie.

A very powerful movie which makes you think about what could be, what could have been and what would be life if you could change one little decision, which could have drastic consequences later. Sometimes these consequences are negative (as in the film) but other times, they can be very positive.

I'm not going to reveal details of the movie and ruin the whole suspense as it's quite suspenseful, but I'm just going to see that I did enjoy it very much. Some parts are VERY powerful and you need to be strong to fight emotions, even tears. Yes, you heard me right, some scenes are that powerfully charged emotionally, specially the sene where Evan is talking with his sweetheart whom has ended up as a drugs addicted prostitute in that bar/fast food joint or when the baby and the mother are blown up or when Kayleigh commits suicide...

I think that Evan (Ashton Kutcher) is delivering a very powerful yet convincing display throughout the film. He seemed very into it and portraited his role I would say in a very remarkable way.

I would suggest you people to watch this film. If you like thrillers, but with the added bonus of a very original and philosophical theme/topic, that is being able to go back in time and change things, then you will definitely enjoy it. I sure did.

Cheers.;)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The first act is terrible.. then the film gets better. The emotional side of the film that you refer to is overdone but still effective IMO.. The script is poor and relies on quick dialogue. I found it a very easy movie to make, even I could invent such a plot - and that's saying alot.. Bress and Gruber rely on psychotic parents and abused kids to get their story moving. It's just all too easy, and the direction and story development feel azy and hackneyed. It's full of cheap filming tricks and clichés and will probably be rated as a weak January release. Still, it wasn't a bad film, and I saw it on terrible print on a pirated VCD. I wouldn't pay to go see it, but wouldn't mind watching it with the gang on the tele either.. ;)

I didn't find the "philosophical theme" original at all, perhaps that's where it went wrong for me..

·
Registered
13,202 Posts
bob
typical juve fan

payman,
agreed great movie

damn juve fans can ruin anything

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Yeah, including Milan's quest for scudetto..:skull:

No really, I don't see how I've ruined anything for anyone. It seems to me that the more you really love something, the more deeply you want to think about it. That’s why I do what I do. When I see a flaw in something I want to communicate what I think, just like when I see something beautiful in something. It could be as simple as "Oh Great Movie!", and "Oh Bad Movie", but where's the fun in that?

Ciao. ;)

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
San Siro said:
A very powerful movie which makes you think about what could be, what could have been and what would be life if you could change one little decision
Did you see The Family Man with Nicolas Cage and Tea Leoni? I really enjoyed that movie which kinda had the same basic given.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Have you seen "Matchstick Men"?

Sweet movie, you'd like it alot. Alison Lohman has that awwww-she's-so-cute-you-can-put-her-in-your-pocket thing going and Nic plays a schizophrenic. It's the kind of adorable, "touching" film I like, rather than this pretentious Butterfly Effect flicko.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Oh my God, I'm agreeing with Lav and Payman. :scared: Apocalypse is coming. :skull:

:pp Well, IMO this is one of the best movie I've ever watched. Before you all jump at me, I'd like to inform you that I don't watch movie that often. ;) But the storyline of this movie, the acting of Ashton Kutcher and the ending...they were all perfect. It keeps me guessing what's gonna happen next.

:star::star::star::star::star: out of 5. I think it's nearly as good, or perhaps on par with Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Highly recommended. :thumbsup:
San Siro said:
I'm not going to reveal details of the movie and ruin the whole suspense as it's quite suspenseful <snip>
San Siro said:
1) Evan is talking with his sweetheart whom has ended up as a drugs addicted prostitute in that bar/fast food joint
2) When the baby and the mother are blown up
3) Kayleigh commits suicide...
You are a strange man. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts