Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Good day to make this thread, with the Frankfurt 5-1 win over Bayern :D

Also Red Bull Leipzig having a massive 8-0 win.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Always tell myself I should start watching the Bundesliga but most often end up listening to the radio or go for a walk instead. Some day....

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Always tell myself I should start watching the Bundesliga but most often end up listening to the radio or go for a walk instead. Some day....
It has some talent and good exciting football, but its defenitely not a premier main league like the other top 3. I have watched Serie A, EPL and La Liga since the mid 90s (on and off with some), but I cant say I honestly could been bothered to see much of Bundesliga except for some Dortmund vs Bayern top hyped matchups. Its just not as engaging somehow.

Also I know fans of teams from ALL the top 3 leagues, but in my life time, I know met one Bayern fan, and one Dortmund fan, and both recently. I met more Parma fans then Bundesliga fans.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
It has some talent and good exciting football, but its defenitely not a premier main league like the other top 3. I have watched Serie A, EPL and La Liga since the mid 90s (on and off with some), but I cant say I honestly could been bothered to see much of Bundesliga except for some Dortmund vs Bayern top hyped matchups. Its just not as engaging somehow.

Also I know fans of teams from ALL the top 3 leagues, but in my life time, I know met one Bayern fan, and one Dortmund fan, and both recently. I met more Parma fans then Bundesliga fans.
I met a Bayern fan in Denmark just once, in a bar on the night that Milan beat Bayern away from home in 2002. He started out being nice and bought me and my friend a beer. Ended up threatening my friend, calling him a faggot and shit without no reason whatsoever. No sane person supports a Bundesliga side, apparently.

·
Registered
17,357 Posts
It has some talent and good exciting football, but its defenitely not a premier main league like the other top 3.
On what exactly is Germany worse than Serie A? Or to phrase it differently, what makes you think there are not either two or four premier main leagues as you call them?

In the next sentence you mention mid 90s and obviously we don't need to discuss that Serie A has been much better than the Bundesliga back then. But it also is a quarter century ago.

Both leagues have one main club that is also a premium club in Europe (speaking the last decade maybe). Stadium attendance is definitely better in Germany. Violence is definitely less in Germany. Quality of football is a matter of definition. I prefer the style played in Germany (which is more similar to England for example). However this is a very subjective matter. Also of course not every club plays the same style in any league, there is an overall attitude though which can be seen different in different leagues.

If we talk about quality of players I honestly don't see any of the two leagues with a big difference between them, and certainly both are behind England and Spain. So I really wonder where you see Serie A as a premier product and Bundesliga not. What is an objective difference to you?

·
Administrator
52,118 Posts
Majority of my post was about popularity or international appeal Frank, Serie A has been better for most of my duration as a fan, in that regard its not even close in its heyday up to a certain point. But actual football itself Bundesliga caught up or severely closed the gaps after Calciopoli days hit Italy hard (super bad infrastructures not improved since), and Germany had a brilliant retooling in their football, revolunionized their programmes, and produced way more domestic top players in technical style of footie.

But its genuine question, for Bundesliga to be as watched as those 3 leagues, it needs to have genuine appeal internationally like them, its simply doesnt, not in that way (helps to attract the best foreign players like those other leagues had). You can ask any poster here how many Bundesliga fans they have met.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,862 Posts
Bundesliga is obv better than Serie A atm. But it's also obvious that Bundesliga has hardly any foreign fans beyond the Lebensraum (Austria, Poland, Czechia, Slovakia).

Try to find a Korean Hannover 96 fan or an Egyptian Leverkusen fan. While Serie A has fans all over the world (maybe less among the younger generation though).

·
Registered
54,451 Posts
A) what‘s the deal with Scandinavians and supporting Italian teams?

B) what‘s wrong with supporting your local team/league?

C) also, why would a european team want/need to have Korean/Egyptian fans? they‘d rarely come to the stadium.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Re: supoorting Gernan clubs, it’s just not very “cool” to be a fan of anything Gernan around here. Guess it takes more than 7 decades to get over the invasions, killings, etc. :D

szövkap: Much more common for Scandinavians to support English sides actually. And to answer your questions, why wouldn’t they support foreign sides? Milan was founded by Brits, made great by the 3 Swedes, 3 Dutch, etc. and have had as many foreigners as Italians in their squads during our lifetime. I see nothing weird in foreigners, particularly from smaller nations with local football not at an impressive level, void of any talent since top players all go abroad, following the bigger leagues and clubs. Why content yourself with 5th rate football? Why do we listen to foreign music and see foreign films instead of only local music and films. I think it’s pretty self-explanatory.

P.S. it’s even possible to support both a local and a foreign club.

·
Registered
54,451 Posts
@Laudrup, it‘s just that every swede/dane in XT seems to support Milan, Inter or Juve :D

Bröndby or Malmö FF surely have more flair than the above mentioned teams, nothing 5th rate about it

Milan may have had 3 swedes in the 60s, but since they don‘t have any now, what‘s the point

I admit, I followed Plymouth Argyle when they had 3 magyars, but that‘s as far as I went with english foci. same with Lugano these days :D

most club teams are packed with random mercenaries anyway, the entire system totally lost its attraction and passion for me. I enjoy hungarian Div2 matches most, to be honest, no foreigners allowed in that league. keeps the local colour up :thumbsup:

can‘t really see the point in the film/music comparison

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
@Laudrup, it‘s just that every swede/dane in XT seems to support Milan, Inter or Juve :D

Bröndby or Malmö FF surely have more flair than the above mentioned teams, nothing 5th rate about it

Milan may have had 3 swedes in the 60s, but since they don‘t have any now, what‘s the point

I admit, I followed Plymouth Argyle when they had 3 magyars, but that‘s as far as I went with english foci. same with Lugano these days :D

most club teams are packed with random mercenaries anyway, the entire system totally lost its attraction and passion for me. I enjoy hungarian Div2 matches most, to be honest, no foreigners allowed in that league. keeps the local colour up :thumbsup:

can‘t really see the point in the film/music comparison
Do we even have any posters left at XT who support English sides? ;)

I don’t understand your obsession with localism in football, or at least why you would limit yourself to local football only.

P.S. I like Brøndby :thumbsup (1): and also occasionally go to watch the games of my childhood side, H.I.K. who play in the third-tier Danish league.

·
Registered
54,451 Posts
it‘s about as „obsession“ as you supporting a random italian club. unless you have some special relation with the city of Milano fx, can‘t really understand it. they may have had attractive football at one or various points in time, but that‘s about the same as when Ulan Baator FK may have had a good run in the Mongolian cup in 1987, now I‘ll support them for life :drunk:

I have a soft spot for Benfica fx, because Lisboa :heart: but I can‘t name you more than 2 players in their actual team :D

·
Registered
17,357 Posts
Majority of my post was about popularity or international appeal Frank, Serie A has been better for most of my duration as a fan, in that regard its not even close in its heyday up to a certain point. But actual football itself Bundesliga caught up or severely closed the gaps after Calciopoli days hit Italy hard (super bad infrastructures not improved since), and Germany had a brilliant retooling in their football, revolunionized their programmes, and produced way more domestic top players in technical style of footie.

But its genuine question, for Bundesliga to be as watched as those 3 leagues, it needs to have genuine appeal internationally like them, its simply doesnt, not in that way (helps to attract the best foreign players like those other leagues had). You can ask any poster here how many Bundesliga fans they have met.
I am pretty sure that popularity comes from the past. I honestly doubt someone grows up now (plus last few years) in Korea (or somewhere else like that) and decides to become a Milan fan. Absolutely no disrespect, but the appeal does not seem to be higher than lets say becoming a Dortmund fan for any foreigner.

Both Juve and Bayern are taken out of this here as those two teams can attract new fans through international success. The rest of Serie A is about as unsuccessful as the rest of Bundesliga.

Both you and Andy actually speak about the past (you said it needs the best foreign players the other leagues had). And that is actually still true outside of Juve. And lets not forget Ribery, Robben or those calibers had star status outside of Bayern or the Bundesliga as well. And Andy mentioned it might not be at current generation anymore (Serie A being popular).

So I still don't see what these days would make someone choose Serie A over Bundesliga. Somewhere where the coverage is equal of course, otherwise where you are exposed more to one than the other it is obvious.

The past in undoubtful, but we do live in the present now. :D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts