Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 1252 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the Broxi Bar one and all. This is the place to chill-out and talk about things other than the famous Glasgow Rangers. For the locals you all know the score- just place for banter. For any none Scots please come inside and feel the warmth of the Scottish people :) Talk about anything you like or ask questions about Scotland, etc.

This is a spin-off from the the Banter Thread which did exists for a while and I was going to resurrect. Only Rangers fans and members from outside the Scottish forums ever posted in it so it seems like here is the best place to situate the new thread.

Many none Scots may also be unaware that although we officially talk "English" in reality we talk Scottish so if you need any translating from Scottish to English we'd be glad to help.
Here are some examples:

Phrases
Scottish: " Your gettin yir face panned in"
Translated English I shall punch you in the face.

Scottish: " Wee Shuggy did a big toley in his keks at school the day. The hale class wis mingin so it wis."
Translated English Little Hugh done a number two in his pants and it made the classroom smell.

Placenames
Scottish: Furry boots Toon
Translated English The affectionate name by which Aberdeen is known to the rest of Scotland. From the way that Aberdonians phrase the question to outsider 'where are you from?'... which is in their inimitable accent pronounced something like 'Furryboots ur you fae?'

Words
Scottish: Fanny
Translated English The female pudenda. A stupid or clumsy person, EG "Watch wherr yer pointin yer submarine ya fanny, this is Skye"

Scottish: Fannyboz
Translated English A male with testicles also displaying characteristics of having a fanny

Scottish: Howfin
Translated English Smelly, Stinking- "Man yer feet are howfin'"

Just to recap. The last topic of discussion was the lack of manners in today's society. The Green One stole the show with his solution:

"Simple solution, put one of these new fancy Nuclear Powerstations near a council estate so all the chavs are sterile."

That's the kind of thing we like to hear. Classic! :thmbup:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My latest gripe is the BBC news, or should that be EBC news? Anytime the England national team has a friendly or Beckham skins his knees it is the top sports story on the news. That annoys me.

Last Saturday night I was watching the EBC news and the sports bit came around. First off was Horse Racing followed by Rugby and then Cricket. Well seen England were not playing a friendly against Columbia in the States that night. After all that we finally got a report on Scotland winning the world cup qualifier against Moldova.

Now I was really angry but there was more to come. Next up was a report on the Poland game, then the Republic of Ireland game and lastly the Northern Ireland game. That really pissed me off. Poland's result was more improtant than the other two matches. Just to finally add insult to injury they never even reported the other scores from Scotland's group.

That's my rant, any comments?

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't it always the way? You open the doors to your pub and someone opens an Irish-theme bar over the road to take away trade. :howler: For anyone who might feel this thread alienates them in any way please read the first line of the thread, which was taken from the original thread before getting paranoid:

Chivo said:
Welcome to the Broxi Bar one and all.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I would have thought that 'one and all' would have felt welcome enough in the original banter thread on the general forum where something like that would belong if it was designed for 'one and all'.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
King_Henrik said:
I would have thought that 'one and all' would have felt welcome enough in the original banter thread on the general forum where something like that would belong if it was designed for 'one and all'.
It was only Rangers supporters posting in it. It's still there if you'd like to post in it- no one has taken it away! Have a look around and you'll see some clubs have their own- CSKA Moscow for example.

As you know from visiting the Rangers forum it's always welcoming and no-one will tell you to go and post elsewhere because they don't agree with you.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marco Negri said:
It's raining.

And it's 02:30.

God, Sundays are boring.
I didn't realise the time. It's past my bed time but I'm not tired yet so I'm trying to make myself tired.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marco Negri said:
I'll probably be up until 7am. I slept for fourteen hours yesterday! What a great way to spend your Saturday.
Lucky you. I can't sleep that long. The slightest noise wakes me up.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Im getting humped at poker here. You ****ing name it, its happened.

Worst ****ing run of cards I've ever had. :(

Still, you know what cheers me up? A joint, a vodka and a read of the loonies on XT. Never fails to amuse me.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really crap at cards. I avoid it like the plague, I can't even shuffle properly.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
maybe............ get an education followed by a job, and then ur off!........
poker will eat all ur money, leaving you to watch ur 'gers on the telle.
im just playin wit u mate.......
ur not going anywhere!........lol

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
i have some bad memories of playing strip poker with a friends wee sister and her mates (when i say "wee sister" she's 19 so not that wee!). it's put me off poker completly now :nervous:

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Last Saturday night I was watching the EBC news and the sports bit came around. First off was Horse Racing followed by Rugby and then Cricket. Well seen England were not playing a friendly against Columbia in the States that night. After all that we finally got a report on Scotland winning the world cup qualifier against Moldova.

Now I was really angry but there was more to come. Next up was a report on the Poland game, then the Republic of Ireland game and lastly the Northern Ireland game. That really pissed me off. Poland's result was more improtant than the other two matches. Just to finally add insult to injury they never even reported the other scores from Scotland's group.

That's my rant, any comments?

I agree.

A thing i'd add is that i don't think there should be the amount of coverage given to the ROI games either - i don't have a problem with them being covered a bit but often they get more airtime than the other non-England home nations.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Great idea for a thread :D.

A friend's wee sister? Sounds like dangerous territory TB :D As long as you didn't poker.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
A friend's wee sister? Sounds like dangerous territory TB :D As long as you didn't poker.
as ive learned to my cost. :scared:

btw thats possibly the worst pun in the history of XT...great though :D

1 - 20 of 1252 Posts