Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Botafogo is an odd club; the old saying "There are things that only happen to Botafogo" does have some truth to it.

In 1904, when Brasilian football was still young, a bunch of teenagers (led by Flavio Ramos and Emmanuel Sodre) decided to create their own neighborhood football team to play against Fluminense, a team that had been created by rich kids from another neighborhood - and they called their club Electro Club! :wallbang: :googly: Fortunately, the grandmother of one of the kids had the presence of mind to point out to the kids that 'Electro' was a retarded name for a football club, so they decided to change the name to Botafogo, the name of their neighborhood (which was originally an homage to a 16th century war hero). That Botafogo's shirt already had the white-and-black stripes that Botafogo wears today, but their symbol was completely different:

Ten years earlier (July 1st 1894), another Botafogo club had already been inaugurated in Rio, but this one was a rowing club. The colors were also black-and-white, but the rowing club's shirt was all black with white details and their symbol was a lone star - an homage to the dawnstar that guided the rowers in their early-morning practices.

The two clubs spent many years separated. In 1907 Botafogo won our 1st Rio football Championship, being runner-up on the following years. In 1909 Botafogo achieved the largest officially-recorded victory of Brazilian football history, 24x0 over Mangueira (a club that doesn't exist anymore). But even though the clubs were technically separated, they were bonded by many families that went to both of them. So members of these families ended up playing football or rowing for different clubs, but defending the same name and colors. Some athletes actually participated on both sports simultaneously (keep in mind that this was before the professionalisation of football).

Through the years, the two Botafogos began getting involved in different sports, becoming "poliesportivos". And eventually they crossed paths with one another - in a basketball game. On July 12th 1942, there would be a Botafogo x Botafogo match for that year's Rio Basketball Championship. At halftime, Armando Albano (an athlete of the Botafogo Football Club), had a heart attack and died. Albano had friends on both teams and everybody was united in grief. That match was paralyzed and never played again, because neither of the Botafogos wanted to defeat their brothers anymore. That tragedy bonded the two clubs and their members forever, and it was decided that the two associations should become one. On December 8th 1942, the definitive fusion took place. :star: :proud:

And since then, the football club's striped shirts and the rowing club's "lonely star" were joined into the club's definitive shirt:

Botafogo is a club of hopeless romantics and dreamers. Demographically, Bota has always been the Rio de Janeiro intellectuals' club, while Fluminense is the rich people's club, Vasco is the working-class club and Flamengo is the club that has most fans across all social classes (which is why they're always the majority club). Botafogo's anthem, written by the great songwriter Lamartine Babo, reflects that essential romanticism, with its references to the lone star guiding us with a beam of light through the path of glory:

Botafogo, Botafogo
Campeão desde 1910
Foste herói em cada jogo
Botafogo
Por isto é que tu és
E hás de ser
Nosso imenso prazer
Tradições,
Aos milhões tens também
Tu és o Glorioso
Não podes perder,
Perder pra ninguém

Noutros esportes
Tua fibra esta presente
Honrando as cores
Do Brasil e de nossa gente
Na estrada dos louros,
Um facho de luz
Tua estrela solitaria te conduz

I could try translating it to english, but Botafogo's spirit is actually very well expressed by a song from the musical The Man From La Mancha:

The Impossible Dream (written by Mitch Leight)

To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To be better far than you are
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To be willing to give
When there's no more to give
To be willing to die
So that honor and justice may live

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star

:star: That song encapsulates Botafogo's spirit so perfectly that one of these days we really should make it our official english-language anthem. :D

As the great Brasilian playwright Nelson Rodrigues (a Fluminense fan) once said: "Botafogo is the most passionate, the most Sicilian, the most Calabrese club in Brasilian football."

In the future I'll post more about Botafogo in this thread - stories about our oddball heroes, articles about the unbeatable Botafoguense spirit, tales of memorable games, and hopefully fans from other clubs will understand Botafogo a little better as a result. :smileani:

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And if you've never heard it, this is "The Impossible Dream" performed by Elvis Presley (who would've been a Botafoguense if he were Brasilian :stuckup: ).

[tub]zbTyjVh37yM[/tub]

:star:

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
When was the last time they had a player wearing the yellow..............and when will be the next one? The record for providing players to World Cup squads is still theirs I believe.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Actually, I'm pretty sure São Paulo beat us to that record in recent years.

The last Botafogo players in a WC were Bebeto and Gonçalves in 1998. In the last decade we've had several players who were called to the NT at some point in their careers - like Tinga, Carlos Alberto, Gil and Leonardo Moura - and our current rightback Alessandro was called up many times by Zagallo way back when. But to be honest it's been a truly crap decade for us, that included a relegation and a season in the Segundona, so we haven't had many players who deserved NT call-ups. :(

Of course, that slump won't last forever. :hopeful:

Bota's current management is trying to stabilize the club financially, and to do so they had to cut this year's football budget to almost half of what we spent last year (our football department's budget this year is actually smaller than Vasco's budget to play the Segundona). :mute: The reason the football budget had to be reduced is because we've been spending the following year's TV contract money every year until 2008. When Bebeto de Freitas became our president in 2003, he found a team relegated to the 2nd division and all the $$$ that we would receive from TV contracts having been collected in advance by the previous administration in 2002. :googly: :mad: The problem was that Bebeto de Freitas couldn't build a team to play the Segundona without using some TV money from the 2004 season, and on the year after that he did it again, rinse and repeat, until last year. Because the alternative was to dramatically cut the budget and weaken the team too much.

This year a new administration came in, saw the size and duration of the mess, and they decided to stop that ridiculous practice immediately. They did what had to be done and sliced the budget almost in half, which led straight to Botafogo losing basically half of last year's team (that had finished in 7th after a good campaign) - Jorge Henrique went to Corinthians, Carlos Alberto went to Vasco, Tulio went to Gremio, Ze Carlos went to Goias, Diguinho went to Fluminense, Andre Luis went to Barueri and so on, because their wages were all suddenly higher than we could afford with this year's reduced budget. Everybody is getting paid on time, which can't be said for the other RJ clubs, but this year we have extreme budget restrictions in place, and the lowest wage cap of the big carioca teams. Next year we can breathe easier, but for now we have to deal with it. :D

With all that in mind, it's actually astonishing that we managed to reach this year's Rio State Championship finals like we did; and the fact that we're struggling at the Brasileiro comes as no surprise at all. Considering everything, if we avoid relegation this year I'll be content and file it away as a year lost to financial adjustment. On the upside, next year our football budget will return to normal, and we can expect improvements (and the fact that Flamengo and Fluminense will both have to use Botafogo's stadium while the Maracana is being reformed for the WC will also send more money our way). :greed:

So yeah, I'm pretty sure we're not the record-holders for "most players given to the NT" anymore, and it sucks, but that's life. However, Botafogo's future definitely looks brighter than the present, and we're taking concrete steps towards recovering our lost prestige. I still, and always, have hope.

Because a Botafoguense without hope wouldn't have chosen Botafogo in the first place; reaching for unreachable stars is what Botafogo is all about. ;)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have to say that this thread is long overdue. :D

Moreover, I would like to point out that all the major teams from Rio had their anthems written by Lamartine Babo. ;) Actually, besides Flamengo, Botafogo, Fluminense and Vasco, Lamartine also wrote the anthem for América, today a minor club, but a major one at the time he was composing.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True that - and the best club anthem Lamartine wrote wasn't even one of the major teams' anthems, it was America's anthem.

·
Administrator
29,393 Posts
That because it was his own club.
The solution is quite simple: all black/white teams became one and the other two became a red with purple (a good mix between green-white-black) club. Flauminense and Vascofogo.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
all of them plagiarized. botafogo, vasco, flamengo, fluminense, bangu, america, são cristóvão and others.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
all of them plagiarized. botafogo, vasco, flamengo, fluminense, bangu, america, são cristóvão and others.
Actually, I had heard that rumour and now that you mentioned it I decided to check it out. Apparently, only America's anthem is plagiarized. It's based on a once-popular song from an old musical. Check out the music below, and at the 33rd second it becomes obvious.

[tub]cq95hVO8xrg[/tub]

And America's anthem:

[tub]EqCkqLZdv78[/tub]

And I guess that diminishes it, though Lamartine's lyrics are still nice (and actually better than the original lyrics). But I've never heard or seen evidence that the others were plagiarized too, that's just a rumour as far as I know.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
As Monty Python (whose show is celebrating its 40th anniversary this week!) would say:
...And now for something completely different.

A classic Canal 100 short documentary about Mane Garrincha, with footage of him playing for Botafogo in the Maracana - and closing with the celebration of the first World Cup Brasil won, in 58. :proud: The narrator is Paulo Cesar Pereio, text by Nelson Rodrigues.

[tub]JtCDIY-CUsw[/tub]

:star:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Sorry, I know the text is by Nelson Rodrigues :rollani:, but still, I was slipping and sliding in the melodrama. :yuck:

Otherwise its impressive, both the way Garrincha's legs are crooked and what he could do with the ball. Wish I'd seen him play... :drool:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Hey.. i have a little verse for you: "Se um a atleticano ver um camisa preto-e-branca pendurada no varal, ele sai correndo porque é do Botafogo" ... you know.. my father, botafoguense, told me..

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey.. i have a little verse for you: "Se um a atleticano ver um camisa preto-e-branca pendurada no varal, ele sai correndo porque é do Botafogo" ... you know.. my father, botafoguense, told me..
Uh... I don't get it. What's the joke, that Atleticanos don't wash their shirts?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Uh... I don't get it. What's the joke, that Atleticanos don't wash their shirts?

you know.. that Roberto Drummond nonsense.. but thinking straight, you got it.. thats right..

·
Registered
28,215 Posts
Crucial 1-0 win at home to Nautico, a direct relegation rival. Gives the club a good chance of staying up which is something that can't be said about Fluminense. They look set to follow Gremio, Palmeiras, Corinthians, Vasco and Atletico Mineiro as big clubs who have been relegated in the last decade.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Crucial 1-0 win at home to Nautico, a direct relegation rival. Gives the club a good chance of staying up which is something that can't be said about Fluminense. They look set to follow Gremio, Palmeiras, Corinthians, Vasco and Atletico Mineiro as big clubs who have been relegated in the last decade.
:proud: :happy: :party: :star: :proud:

I still believe we can avoid relegation. And after we do, the purpose of this season - to get the finances in order - will have been achieved. Then we'll put this year of hardships behind us and aspire for better things next year, when our budget will practically double thanks to the sacrifices made this season. :hopeful:

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
even without 5 starters we played much better away than Flamengo at home with an almost complete team.

:howler:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts