Xtratime Community banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I won't say every Italian defender in Serie A is better than Costacurta today, but there are a few names. Barzagi, Materazzi (yeah, Materazzi, now the "I only like the classic style defenders" will want to shoot me, but football isn't only about technique, and in the aerial game, physical game, antecipation and some other aspects except for technique Materazzi is better today), Dainelli and a few others.

The Lazio game was just one example. A player can't be so trusted at his age, and Costacurta hasn't done all that to prove he's different than others. It's the law of nature.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I agree. Costacurta's lack of games over the season gives us less excuse to say he isnt good enough, but I garauntee that if Costacurta played 10 matches in a row, in at least half of them he would have done a mistake or two or three!

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Especially if you consider that at his age, playing games in a row is harder. Imagine if Nesta or Cannavaro get injured in the first game, and Costacurta has to play 6 games in 3 weeks...

·
Registered
139 Posts
if Billy and Maldini were to play in the back, Italy would be guarenteed to win the WC. Even the superb trio of Robinho Ronaldinho and Kaka would not be able to get by those two handsome stalwarts.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
LucaGol said:
Your living in the past.
Last time I checked, Costacurta just started in a CL semi-final AWAY from home and was captain.

He also played for Milan this week again. So no, it's not in the past.

Is Materazzi a better player than Costacurta? How about Barzagli?

The answer is NO. Materazzi is a piss poor player, who shouldn't even be anywhere near the NT set-up. The only reason he is there is because there is nobody else. Technique? Give me a break, Materazzi has nothing. Slow, big, lumbersome and a ****** to boot. He is absolute rubbish.

Italy clearly have a shortage of back-up defenders who are half-decent. Costacurta is clearly a better option than anyone else at the moment, regardless of his age.

·
Registered
12,028 Posts
Roberto Gallo said:
Especially if you consider that at his age, playing games in a row is harder. Imagine if Nesta or Cannavaro get injured in the first game, and Costacurta has to play 6 games in 3 weeks...
If Costactura Manages to play 6 games in 3 weeks, then in that scenario, he must have been doing something right

Billy is a monster

And in the end, if Nesta and Cannavaro get injured, its game #6. Say you are playing Holland. I do not want freaking Barzagli on Van Nistelrooy, I want Billy there, common sense.
In addition, we all agreed that he was not going to be a starter in the "if" scenario.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
To be honest in the Nou Camp that great game of Billy. Barca had half a dozen very good chances to score and some of them were Eto'o who was his marker? and then also Costacurta of course on another day could have got a red in that match. I have nothing against the guy but in Italy he would also not get the same type of cover that Stam gave to him in that match, Zambrotta would be RB and we all know he doesnt hang around in the defence.

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
if Billy and Maldini were to play in the back, Italy would be guarenteed to win the WC. Even the superb trio of Robinho Ronaldinho and Kaka would not be able to get by those two handsome stalwarts.
You do realise it's not 1994 anymore, right?

I like Costacurta though, he was impressive form the little I saw of him this year, and he would be perfect as a backup IMO with his vast experience. I would choose him ahead of Materazzi any day of the week and twice on Sunday (I would choose practically everyone ahead of Materazzi for the NT anyway, because he has been an absolute joke so far at this level). Barazgli, etc also doesn't seem to be better players right now and Billy's experience certainly gives him the edge in the comparison.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts