Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Surely this has to be Fernando Gago.

Now, I don't watch Madrid regularly, but I've seen Gago play now, probably about 20 games.

And in every single game I've watched, he has done absolutely nothing at all. Unless you count being unable to pass the ball to anyone besides the opposition, barely making a single tackle, constantly caught out of position and offering absolutely no energy, pace, creativity or muscle - all the things required of a good central midfielder.

The question is, how does this guy start for a club like Real Madrid, and even Argentina too, and who in the hell rates him as a good player?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Please tell me another player you can compare with Gago in terms of skillset and style? He is arguably the best tackler on the planet and yet still possesses a sharp eye for the impossible pass with the capacity to organize.

·
ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ
7,425 Posts
Please tell me another player you can compare with Gago in terms of skillset and style? He is arguably the best tackler on the planet and yet still possesses a sharp eye for the impossible pass with the capacity to organize.
:rollani:

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Gago can play in a midfield as part of a three, but not in a two like he does for Real. If Real are to play 4-4-2 again next season then they should either make Gago a squad player or just sell him and have players that can play that system.

·
Registered
6,687 Posts
The biggest myth in world football is Real Madrid... Gago is fine, he doesn't deliver everyday but he has the potential, he has room for development and if he has the right mentality he will be one of the best in his position in near future.
He is far from mature right now.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
potential Homer, he has shown since 06, but i haven't noticed much improvement on him since...well, Banega's progress has sadly been worse, whom i rated higher than gago till last year...maybe his weakness is further glorified due to La Liga's and in particular, Madrid's untra-attacking tactics that leaves much room in the center...but the French Diarra is a much better player between the two DM (Gago, however, is more fun to watch...certainly)

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Gago is an amazing player.

I really hope RM would offload him to Inter just like they did... Cambiasso / Samuel.

Perez may prefer a ... say ... Mascherano?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
the guy looked incredible playing for Boca

off-the-scale potential

all action midfielder with unbelievable ball skills for what is essentially a fairly defensive midfielder

sadly the European game has found him out

badly

whether it's the tactical set-up at Real or just the player's lack of the requisite skills to make it in Europe is open to debate

but the totally stunted development of him and Banega is a hell of a disappointment

·
Banned
3,899 Posts
Azzkikr rates him as the best defensive playmaker in the world. Ha.
LOL :D

In all seriousness, Gago is just yet another overrated argie in a long line of overrated argies who seemed like the next big thing when he played in south america, but completely failed at the big stage in europe.

He is not the first and wont the last, not even worth making a topic about.

If we had to make a topic about every south american talent that failed in europe we would be overloading the board.

·
Registered
16,521 Posts
Gago's form at Real Madrid is down to a number of things. It's partly his fault and partly Real Madrid's.

For a big club Real are totally clueless on how to build a team. They just buy whoever they can with no real plan in mind. Gago is actually one of the better signings they have made, but as soon as they acquire a good prospect they throw him into the deep end. Perhaps they really do believe the media hype, the "new Redondo" talk, because they seemed to think you could take a young guy from one type of football and put him in a completely different league, into a position where there is a lot of responsibility.

In the system they play you need a CM with ability to really influence a game, someone who is mature and not just technically proficient. Gago should have either been loaned to another smaller La Liga club or used off the bench, instead of trying to build around him.

Not only did RM get caught up in the new Redondo hype, but the man himself did. As to how good he can become remains to be seen, but in these crucial years of development he's just been continuously hurting his confident in a club that has been a bit of a mess recently.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Totally agree with the original post. Every time I have seen him play with Madrid, he has never played ok in a match. Always got dominated badly.

Certainly has to be one of the most overrated players around. Absolute sh!te, when you consider the fact that he starts for Real Madrid.

·
Premium Member
12,134 Posts
Gago's form at Real Madrid is down to a number of things. It's partly his fault and partly Real Madrid's.

For a big club Real are totally clueless on how to build a team. They just buy whoever they can with no real plan in mind. Gago is actually one of the better signings they have made, but as soon as they acquire a good prospect they throw him into the deep end. Perhaps they really do believe the media hype, the "new Redondo" talk, because they seemed to think you could take a young guy from one type of football and put him in a completely different league, into a position where there is a lot of responsibility.

In the system they play you need a CM with ability to really influence a game, someone who is mature and not just technically proficient. Gago should have either been loaned to another smaller La Liga club or used off the bench, instead of trying to build around him.

Not only did RM get caught up in the new Redondo hype, but the man himself did. As to how good he can become remains to be seen, but in these crucial years of development he's just been continuously hurting his confident in a club that has been a bit of a mess recently.
In fact, Capello bought Fernando Gago for a three-man-midfield. :rollani: Juande Ramos put him into the wrong position now, but that doesn't mean that he was bought for a wrong system. I agree that he sucked for a while now.

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
The original kneejerk reaction of Xtratime has kicked into effect. I mean, i really dont rate him but this bashing is pretty useless and a tad bit over the top. Yeah he is nowhere near the level his actual talent back in Argentine suggested. What the hell...its people like Mohamed whose blind following of the player has maybe led to believe that Gago is world class.

Then again if you take into account the surroundings him and Banega for example have found themselves in, what kind of progress do you think one can get ? Banega with in crisis Valencia and the oh so balanced Atleti. Gago with his umpteenth coach at Real who really havent had a players progress in mind.

No real teachings, nobody to learn from and idiots keep saying youre the real deal will make you believe it. After that the workrate and the commitment change.

The more astonishing is Higuain´s rise to glory as in that environment to develop is half impossible. REally shows character.

In that people are right. That Gago has been thrown into the mix and the bigwigs are hoping for a miracle to happen. You first try to teach him the role and then see what will happen. some people just take a bit more time.

·
Registered
19,999 Posts
Deportivo you are making excuses for him. Lass Diarra has come in and shown that he is a decent player despite what you say about the surrondings harming Gago. The set up obviously doesn't help but a decent player will show his worth regardless as Lass has shown.

·
Canonized
37,734 Posts
Surely this has to be Fernando Gago.

Now, I don't watch Madrid regularly, but I've seen Gago play now, probably about 20 games.

And in every single game I've watched, he has done absolutely nothing at all. Unless you count being unable to pass the ball to anyone besides the opposition, barely making a single tackle, constantly caught out of position and offering absolutely no energy, pace, creativity or muscle - all the things required of a good central midfielder.

The question is, how does this guy start for a club like Real Madrid, and even Argentina too, and who in the hell rates him as a good player?

completely agree!

1 - 20 of 95 Posts