Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who will be Portugal's #1 Baia or Ricardo. I like Ricardo, but even though i am a benficista, there is no one that likes, and respects Baia more then myself. He is a legend. My vote goes to Baia
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
Man I'd love to see Baia out there !!!
My heart says Baia , My Brain says Ricardo !!!
Its a damn tough call !!! I would say at this stage Ricardo has the very slightest of adges but whoever gets picked may well come down to who performs best in the next 9 days of training !!

But at this early stage I am saying with my brain , Ricardo to line up V USA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
ANOTHER BIG QUESTION !!!

1 striker & 2 trincos or 2 strikers & 1 trinco ???????????

I would personally start with the 1 striker & as our midfield starts pressing lossen up with the extra trinco & bring on the other striker. Also AO may have had his hand pushed towards the 2 strikers if Petit & Sousa dont come up :eek: !!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is how i will play the midfeild up

petit
rui costa
s. conceicao
figo
joao pinto
pauleta
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
I see it Man !!
You only have the one trinco , but you would honestly play Joao Pinto as the 2nd striker !!! We have Nuno Gomes he would definately get the nod his strike rate for the NT since Euro200 has been phenomenal !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nuno could be our super sub, comes in and scores goals. While rui costa, as the speed and ability to be a second trinco, and at the same time an offensive weopon. This is why I dont critizize AO because i understand is tactics, even though i do want to see pauleta nuno up front
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
I think that AO is looking for a sign, any sign from Baia that he can carry us. Ricardo was sharp in the Brazil game, but damn, next Sunday makes only 1 year since his Portugal debut.

Who ever they pick, I'll just hope for the best. I see merit in both.
I figure they'll start with Ricardo.

Either way, I think that the back 4 and the 1 or 2 trincos will be more decisive in our keeping goals out. It doesn't hurt that we can hold on to the ball up front. We MUST lock down the middle of the field.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,490 Posts
Petit & Sousa injuries: Mixed blessing?

Now I'm not going to say that possibly losing our best trinco (Petit) is ever a good thing, nor is losing one of our talismen (Sousa)...BUT, if having to bring in Vidigal and/or Meira means that Olvieira feels forced to go with two strikers and a more traditional 4-4-2 with one d-mid (Paulo Bento?), we might end up going deeper in the tournament than we all hoped earlier. Once Nuno & Pauleta were playing up front together to start the second half, the offense really started flowing in the way we're used to seeing. Granted, putting in the regular starters (i.e. - Joao Pinto, Conceicao, Beto & Rui Jorge et al) had something to do with it, the team that played the second half was truly impressive in comparison to the team that found it difficult to put together any sense of flow in the first half.

In a weird way, we might get a more attacking seleccao that we've all been hoping for after all!?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
You could be right Razor !!!
But Petit I think is going to be OK !! But Sousa still has the dark clouds over him !! Rui Costa could drop back & kinda play trinco !!

The problem playing 1 striker means we have a good goalscorer on the bench , but Oliveira has had plenty of success with his 4-2-3-1 formation and him tampering now could have unpredictably results.
The problem with Portugal at the moment is , we have too many bullets & not enough barrels !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
OGOLO said:
who will be Portugal's #1 Baia or Ricardo. I like Ricardo, but even though i am a benficista, there is no one that likes, and respects Baia more then myself. He is a legend. My vote goes to Baia
I'm with you. Gotta be Baia.:smileani:
 

·
International
Joined
·
5,629 Posts
Re: Petit & Sousa injuries: Mixed blessing?

Razor said:
Now I'm not going to say that possibly losing our best trinco (Petit) is ever a good thing, nor is losing one of our talismen (Sousa)...BUT, if having to bring in Vidigal and/or Meira means that Olvieira feels forced to go with two strikers and a more traditional 4-4-2 with one d-mid (Paulo Bento?), we might end up going deeper in the tournament than we all hoped earlier. Once Nuno & Pauleta were playing up front together to start the second half, the offense really started flowing in the way we're used to seeing. Granted, putting in the regular starters (i.e. - Joao Pinto, Conceicao, Beto & Rui Jorge et al) had something to do with it, the team that played the second half was truly impressive in comparison to the team that found it difficult to put together any sense of flow in the first half.

In a weird way, we might get a more attacking seleccao that we've all been hoping for after all!?:confused:
Razor is back to his usual dead on self! :)

Petit s/b the only trinco in the line-up. Have Rui play further back and start two forwards.

BTW, there's no question who should be on goal for Portugal!


RICARDO

Although Baia made two nice saves against China...he scared me on every single cross China had into the box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Off-topic

What's the name of the soccer chant the Portuguese fan use during NT games? I've heard the song before...a rock song of some sort? Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,724 Posts
Re: Off-topic

Fee-Go said:
What's the name of the soccer chant the Portuguese fan use during NT games? I've heard the song before...a rock song of some sort? Anyone?
I dunno yet !!
But the Italians have claimed the "Birdie Dance " song !!



BTW if some Italian is out there who knows me who sent that Roberto Baggio fake autograph poster with the hugs & kisses marked on it, WATCH OUT !!!!!!!!!!! Your a dead man walking !!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Re: Re: Off-topic

COUTO 5 said:


I dunno yet !!
But the Italians have claimed the "Birdie Dance " song !!



BTW if some Italian is out there who knows me who sent that Roberto Baggio fake autograph poster with the hugs & kisses marked on it, WATCH OUT !!!!!!!!!!! Your a dead man walking !!!!!!
I think I figured it out...here I am at home in my undies doing an Al Bundy 'luh, luh, luh, luh luh, la la la la la, luh, luh, luh, luh, luh, la la luh luh la luh, luh luh lalalalalalalalal...uhhhhh....luh, luh, luh, luh,luh...(you get the hint).

I think it's from Rocky. You know...when he wins the fight at the end?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
C'mon, someone?

You know...the soccer chant! The one when all the fans sing 'luh, luh, luh, luh, luh....le luh luh luh luh LUH le luh...etc...:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Well...

Fee-Go said:


I think I figured it out...here I am at home in my undies doing an Al Bundy 'luh, luh, luh, luh luh, la la la la la, luh, luh, luh, luh, luh, la la luh luh la luh, luh luh lalalalalalalalal...uhhhhh....luh, luh, luh, luh,luh...(you get the hint).

I think it's from Rocky. You know...when he wins the fight at the end?
Do you mean the adaption of "I will survive" (Gloria Gaynor)?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Re: Well...

vagabunda said:


Do you mean the adaption of "I will survive" (Gloria Gaynor)?:confused:
vagabunda, you are a bloody genius! I've been trying to figure that out for days! Thank-you for saving me time.

By the way, the mix I was looking for was the mix by the 'Hermes House Band' called the Feyenoord Party Mix (Dutch, I guess). I found it on KaZaA.

'Lalalalala lalalalalala lalalalala luhhhhhh...lalalalalalalalalala lalalalalala....luhluhluhluhluhluh..."
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top